• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keyboard sometimes doesnt turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaiff75

Registered
this has been happening for a long time now and ive just dealt with it, but maybe theres a fix? Using a razer deathstalker (3 or 4 years old), occasionally on boot the keyboard doesnt come on. no lights or response from keystrokes. if i unplug the usb from the mobo and plug it back in it comes on. it did it with my old fx4300/asus mobo (although with the fx/asus combo unplugging and plugging in didnt help, had to restart system till the keyboard would turn on) and does it with my new 6700k/gigabyte z170 designare. i have razer synapse 2.0 installed but uninstalling didnt change anything. it did it on both windows 7 and 10 so i dont think its a windows issue. any ideas? just a faulty keyboard maybe? i think maybe it might just be time for a new one as sometimes now its like a key is getting stuck when it isnt and just infinitely repeats the keystroke.

These kind of things are usually caused by either of these:
1. a faulty keyboard
2. a USB driver problem with the motherboard hardware (from Windows or the USB device manufacturer)
3. conflict with another USB device plugged in

Sounds like you have eliminated #2 since this happens with different motherboards and different OSs.

My guess would be the keyboard itself is faulty but if you have been plugging in the same USB peripheral devices with the different motherboards and different OSs then it still could be #3. I would try disconnecting all non essential USB devices from the system to check for this. Otherwise you run the risk of buying a new keyboard and having the same problem.

the only other usb device i have plugged in is my mouse. so i can unplug that and if i cant replicate the problem again it is likely my mouse is the culprit? otherwise a faulty kepboard does sound most likely, it has done it as long as i can remember

ive had this problem ALLLLLLL the time. I always just have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Happens with ALL my keyboards, at random times. I can not figure it out.

as far as key getting stuck, it may be time to get a new one.

The mouse is considered an essential usb device. I was talking more about printers, tv tuners, cameras, etc. The other thing is you might want to fiddle with the USB options in bios.

- - - Updated - - -

ive had this problem ALLLLLLL the time. I always just have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Happens with ALL my keyboards, at random times. I can not figure it out.

as far as key getting stuck, it may be time to get a new one.

When this happens, do other usb devices quit working?

ah then yeah no other usb devices for me. probably just need to get a new keyboard. ive been wanting a blue backlit anyways lol

When this happens, do other usb devices quit working?

NEVER. I have TONS of usb I/O stuff going on right now, its ONLY the keyboard. Thats actually WHY I got my gskill board, because I thought something funky was going on with my k70 lol. Turns out they are both fine, and this is just an oddball thing occuring.

Even usb pass through still continues to work, its JUST the keyboard. Everything he's explained is the same for me. I have all same symptoms and problems, but its happening with more than 1 keyboard.

Kaiff, what power supply are you using? haha

edit:

right now, I have

Keyboard
mouse
focusrite usb DAC interface
double hard drive thing (thermaltake blacx duet)
n64 controller
logitech f310
thrustmaster pedals
logitech racing wheel
wireless phone qi charger
blue mic
webcam

All of it plugged in, all of it not plugged in... never makes a difference. Happens on my corsair k70, azio mkg-1, and gskill km780

happens on ->
Windows 8.1 and windows 10
Sabertooth motherboard, extreme 6 motherboard
xmp and stock profiles

Its very very odd haha. Its not a huge deal, literally unplug it and plug it right back in, takes literally 5 seconds. More annoying than anything.

Last edited:
are you overclocked?
I run into this oce in a while when I have one of the buss' a tad unstable.

Bob, it has happened with both of my PSUs, an Antec HCG 620 80+ bronze and my current Corsair hx850i 80+ platinum.
Caddi, both systems have been/are currently overclocked. Havnt had any unstability issues yet with my current settings but im only a few days into testing. Never even thought that could be a reason, but I'm at a loss so I suppose that could be possible.

are you overclocked?
I run into this oce in a while when I have one of the buss' a tad unstable.

CPU - I7-4790K
OC - stock right now

Im actually waiting on watercooling parts, so Im just "chillin" at stock everything at the moment, not even using xmp for memory lol

Back