• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kicking around returning to water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustJeff

Registered
I used to watercool and overclock a few years ago. If I remember correctly my last system I overclocked was an Intel 805 cpu, which was maybe 10 yrs ago...maybe?

I have to dig into storage for my old equipment for specifics, but I assume my old pump and CPU block are either outdated, or not to be trusted after sitting in a box unused for many years?

I currently have a 3570k, but am shopping for a new build. I'll probably wait till the new year to buy after pricing on the AMD Zen3 pricing has settled down and the pricing on Intel adjusts to the competition.

Right now I'm leaning toward unlocked 9th or 10th gen i5, possibly i7, or AMD 5600x. As far as boards go for the time being I'm really liking the Gigabyte Aorus Pro boards for any of the 3 cpus I'm considering.

I have a wall in my study which needs decorating and right now I'm leaning towards a DIY wall hanging PC art piece.

What brands in cooling are reliable, modestly priced and perform well with some aesthetic appeal?

It has been well over a decade for my last WC experience.

I bought a cheaper CoolerMaster AIO. It was semi worth it. I can tell it isn't high quality, but so far it is working. If I had to do it again I would have gone for a Corsair iCUE AIO.

My two cents, if you have a good pump stick with it. Ceramic bearings last an incredibly long time. As do plastic or stainless housings. (IE, if you have a DDC or D5 then you already have one of the best pumps you can use)

As for blocks, there is some debate. If your block was made in the last 12 years or so then I'd say there is a good chance it would still perform well with the right mounting hardware. Radiators, of course, I can't imagine there being much of a difference as long as it doesn't have damage.

I say tell us what you already have. Personally I'd only go all-new if you're doing it for the aesthetics... Other than, of course, compatibility and fitment. So, sure a new CPU block makes sense. And a new rad if your case now has different fitment than what you had in the past.

I just dug them out of storage. I have a D4 pump, which as I remember it is inferior and older than the D5...but I don't remember the details between them.

My CPU block is probably unusable. It is an AquaComputer with smaller diameter threaded ports. My radiator failed via a leak. I have my old Swiftech clear reservoir but it's sealed and has white mineral deposits all through it.

I still have the case I customized, but I'd like to build a DIY wall-hanging art piece.

You'll find this useful: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Blast-From-the-Past-Laing-D4-vs-the-D5-Basic

So I'd say go all new, but give your old pump a try if you want. Those laing pumps are real industrial circulation pumps. It is a brushless DC motor, stainless housing and ceramic bearing. If you don't run them dry, or with super hot fluid inside they can last a very long time. If it has just been sitting in a bin, it has not been "wearing out".

When I get my loop up I'll be using my MCP655 (D5) that I bought new in 2008, and adapting either an Apogee GTZ (2008 / 2009 ish as well?) or possibly an Aqua Extreme MP-05. The latter I think was actually a review sample, probably from mid 2005. Both of these blocks have s775 mounting holes and similar micro-pin bases.

One detail I will be paying attention to is off-setting the mounting to put the inlet "jet" area directly over the core "chiplet" (die) of my Ryzen 3600.

By the way, Welcome to the forums Jeff!!

Last edited:
Up until my current pc I hadn't used w/c for years. During the lockdown I got bored and decided to use every part I had just to see if I could and amazingly enough I did. With only a purchase of an additional radiator I had a complete w/c setup! I guess I bought more over the years than I remembered. Here is a summary of what I found. The biggest thing I found is that w/c has become very commercialized and even more expensive as it has grown more mainstream, so get ready for that. Gone are the days of building a decent w/c setup with $150. Swiftech is still around but doesn't seem to keep up with w/c tech as much these days. I use one of their AIO in one of my other pcs and it works fine, not great but fine. There are better brands like Aquacomputer and Monsoon these days. Many people swear by EK but I will never use one of their pieces in my pc again after multiple problems and crap customer service. Optimus is supposed to have amazing products but their prices are simply ridiculous imo. They have a fanatically loyal base so I'm sure someone will jump in here about them soon. There are a couple newer Chinese(?) brands people are using these days in Barrow and Bykski. The overall comments and reviews seem pretty positive and prices are great so they are a cheaper option.

For some reason barbs w/ clamps have become a big no-no and you must use $20 compression fittings at every end. No clue where that idea came from but it seems the only advice you will hear. Why people want to spend hundreds of dollars on fittings that no one will see is beyond me. I was able to get a bunch of Bitspower from Sidewinder when they shut down for pennies on the dollar so I gave them a shot this build. I see no benefit. Also fluids, for some reason fluids that have worked for years and years without problem are now no good. You have to buy premix for some reason. I realize tech changes and improves but it seems people have been completely sold on this. I gave Mayhems X-1 a try on this build to see what all the hype is about and don't see any obvious benefit. If you do use some ONLY use the clear. Any color will break down and ruin your build.

Pumps have come along way and as said above the D5 models are great. Radiators have also come along way and work very efficiently with good fans. Gentle Typhoons still work good but have been copied by just about every company out there and still run $20 a piece. Cases are much more w/c friendly these days but watch out for the cheaper ones that say they are w/c ready but it is impossible to get everything in there. W/C ready for some companies means it will fit an AIO but not a full custom loop. Check the reviews and build threads.

Overall I would go with new parts but get ready for the sticker shock. You can and probably will spend more on your w/c setup than the pieces it cools.

EDIT: One last thing. Keep an eye on the metals used in the pieces you are shopping for. Mixing metals is still not good and there a number of aluminum pieces out there these days. I personally also don't use nickel plated but that is a personal preference because of past problems.

Last edited:
Back