• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingdoms of Amalur

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magik_missles

Well, the new year is here and this game is getting closer and closer. Anybody holding out for it? I know a lot of people are still knee deep in Skyrim, but this seems to be looking very promising. It has been on my list for quite a while. R.A. Salvitore, Todd McFarlane and Ken Rolston can't be a bad combo, even on a bad day.

The specs were recently released and I am pleased to see them:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
CPU:
Intel Core2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHz or greater
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (or equivalent) running at 2.6GHz or greater
RAM:
At least 1 GB for Windows XP
At least 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Drive:
At least 10.5 GB of free space
Video Adapter:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB or better
ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB or better
Supporting Pixel Shader 3.0
Minimum Resolution Supported is 1280x720

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad (or equivalent) running at 2.4GHz or greater
AMD Phenom X4 (or equivalent) running at 2.6GHz or greater
RAM:
At least 3 GB for Windows XP
At least 4 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Drive:
At least 10.5 GB of free space
Video Adapter:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 1GB RAM or better
ATI Radeon HD4850 1GB RAM or better
Supporting Pixel Shader 3.0

Downloading through Steam right now.

I'll update with an impression as soon as I get a chance.

*edit

Character creation is smoothly integrated into the beginning. Graphics are pretty good. Character control is well thought out. Values in memory are editable (to an extent)

Last edited:
The devs have been making the podcast-rounds the last couple of weeks. It sounds like a pretty good time.

You can hear their interviews on Gamespot's Hotspot and on the Giant Bombcast.

I tried the demo and found nothing out of the ordinary. Once you hit "ESC" to say open your inventory, the UI becomes cumbersome and, I guess "amateurish" could be the best word. It just seems very clunky and not well put together. The graphics look decent. The inability to zoom out a little bit (unless I missed how to do it) kind of killed it for me. The PC version just seems to play like your typical bad console port.

Living in Providence, 38 Studios is a hometown company, so I really was hoping for this game to be something good. Sadly, the feeling I got from the demo is that the game brings nothing new to the table to make it stand out in the crowd, and will just fade into obscurity and bargain bin sales.

Again, this is just my opinion based on the demo, but the demo failed to captivate my interest enough for me to purchase the full game, until it's on sale for $4.99 on Steam.

Played it a bit last night. Combat was alot of fun, however the camera should be able to be adjusted to different distances. I didn't feel like I should be using a controler it felt very natural with K&M. UI needs some work, but was easy to navigate and equip items and such. One thing that stood out to me is that they made using staves really cool and fun, a lot of times they make using staves in games not as kool as swords, hammers, daggers, etc. in hand to hand combat IMO. Graphics were nothing spectacular but I like the spell graphics. All in all I enjoyed the demo

The camera is my number one complaint as well. Graphics could be better. But I have found some very interesting info (can't remember where for the life of me). The demo and retail versions are two different beasts, so to speak. A demo version was split off from the retail version and prepped for quick release, while the retail version continued QA and polish treatments. That has my fingers crossed for better textures, camera and the like. Makes sense to have a "slimmed" down version of a demo to me.

All in all, this will be a purchase for me. I like the phrase "Blizzard lush meets Skyrim breadth". The Fable-esque combat and zones are a plus in my book, and everything the game tries to do it succeeds on. Combat, story (so far), design, etc. The menus don't bother me that much. I would rather have lame menus over lame game play.

EDIT: Found this on IGN just now. "It's super disappointing to hear that the demo for the game isn't running well for a lot of gamers. Much of that apparently has to do with the fact that it's based off of an old build that was outsourced to a third party."

Last edited:
I noticed some lag issues when using some abilities but figured it was just my hardware (5770).

I did play around with some numbers like max lvl, etc.

Max lvl i got was 40
There's ~125 skill points in each section
Gold goes way over 500k

If you are maxed in all of your skills, you can't complete a level up, same goes for perks.

I noticed some lag issues when using some abilities but figured it was just my hardware (5770).

I did play around with some numbers like max lvl, etc.

Max lvl i got was 40
There's ~125 skill points in each section
Gold goes way over 500k

If you are maxed in all of your skills, you can't complete a level up, same goes for perks.

is that on demo? all i got was max lvl 2 lol!

I tried the Demo on the PS3...it was pretty meh looking. I tried the demo on the PC to see how good it COULD look but it would not play for me. The gameplay was fun but compared to all the other games on my plate, this one does not stack up. If I was in a gaming dry spell id certainly give it a go.

is that on demo? all i got was max lvl 2 lol!
I used Cheat Engine to see how far the game progressed. It seems that equips factor more into damage, etc than character stats.
I tried the Demo on the PS3...it was pretty meh looking. I tried the demo on the PC to see how good it COULD look but it would not play for me. The gameplay was fun but compared to all the other games on my plate, this one does not stack up. If I was in a gaming dry spell id certainly give it a go.
I had issues as well. The screen was black until I turned off some video settings. I think it was postprocessing that did it.

Well... I have nothing to say about the game itself, but I just received my ESPN magazine for February and found a small article inside where they mentioned it. So I read on and it turns out that 38 Studios was founded by Curt Schilling when he retired from baseball... Yup; that same guy that helped the Red Socks beat NY in the 2004 ALCS finals. The guy with the bloody sock. :D Turns out he's a big time gamer and when he retired from baseball he wanted to go into the gaming industry... And that's how 38 Studios got started. :D

Well... I have nothing to say about the game itself, but I just received my ESPN magazine for February and found a small article inside where they mentioned it. So I read on and it turns out that 38 Studios was founded by Curt Schilling when he retired from baseball... Yup; that same guy that helped the Red Socks beat NY in the 2004 ALCS finals. The guy with the bloody sock. :D Turns out he's a big time gamer and when he retired from baseball he wanted to go into the gaming industry... And that's how 38 Studios got started. :D
Thats pretty interesting.

I picked up the game this morning and am currently running through the first zone (same as the demo) and I have found the camera control to be tighter and the frame rate dip and texture pop to be less prevalent. So far so good. I'm satisfied with the purchase.

Yeah, one of my co-workers gave me the lowdown on Mr 38 and how he picked up Big Huge games. Very cool to see an athlete doing something constructive with his cash and not just buying houses and bling. LOL Also turns out that BH games were working on a game called "Awakening" which eventually became KoA:R after they were bought up.

Waiting for my copy to arrive ( I ordered it in late November should be here in the next few days) I loved the demo, the play style and character customizations are fantastic.

Can't wait for the game to arrive

Back