• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston ram from 1333 to 1600 safe OC ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rundll

Registered
Hi there Here are my basic specs:

i3 2130 @3.4 CPU
8 gigs Kingston 1333 Mhz Value Ram in 2 modules
MSI z68ma-g43 Mobo

Well here is the story. I just overclocked my ram frequence to 1600 from 1333 which these kingston are labelled. BIOS auto-increased voltage from 1.48 to 1.60+ but I heard that voltage increase may cause damage to rams so I decreased manually to 1.48 again. So My ram are running @ 1600 mhz without voltage increase am I safe with this overclock ? I don't want to fry my rams neither my MOBO. If it is not safe I ll take my OC back but if it is safe why not benefit from a little free buff ?

I heard that plain frequence increase does not have any backdraw.

I also ran memory diagnostics test and it went without error.

Should I try to decrease timings too ? Or would that be too much ?

The ram have no cooling at all. they are kingston value ram

Also I hope I don't kill my CPU with this because it supports up to 1333 mhz ram

I have a set of kingston hyperx that are 1333 @ 1.5v rated that I run at 1720mhz @ 1.675v all day every day. Increasing ram voltage the only thing you can kill is the ram. If the system isnt crashing at those settings then I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a set of kingston hyperx that are 1333 @ 1.5v rated that I run at 1720mhz @ 1.675v all day every day. Increasing ram voltage the only thing you can kill is the ram. If the system isnt crashing at those settings then I wouldn't worry about it.

your hyperX have cooling jacket though, my ram have none, they are naked

1.60V won't damage DDR3 RAM because it's rated for an absolute maximum of 1.975V. [EDIT: Unless it's rated for just 1.80V -- thanks, Woomack]

Kingston seems to have gotten a lot better in the last few years, and I don't think I've ever seen a DDR3 of theirs that failed MemTest86 and Gold Memory at 1.50V, although I didn't test all of them with anti-static foam around the modules to make them hot. Kingston used to bin its chips so they couldn't be overclocked at all without errors.

Last edited:
Each IC have different max voltage ratings. For example most new Hynix IC have ~1.8V absolute max voltage.
No matter if memory have heatspreaders or not it won't make big difference for DDR3 as they are not really hot.
You should be fine with anything up to 1.65V for these sticks and don't worry about cpu.
I was running 2133+ up to 1.92V on Celeron without issues. 1333 is only max guaranteed clock by Intel in their official specification as these cpus are dedicated to cheaper configurations like H61/H67 chipsets which have max supported memory clock of 1333.

I would try to set tighter timings with voltage up to 1.65V. If your memory is running @1600 9-9-9-24 then try something like 8-9-8-24, 8-9-9-24 and command rate 1N (1T ). Next step would be 8-8-8-24 or 7-9-8-24 or 7-9-7-24 ( I doubt that you make CL7 but can always try ;) ).

Back