• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kingston value ram users, read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so stupid!
now i have to send it back and wait for them to recieve it and then ship out my correct kit,
"yes there was a problem and we are very sorry blah blah"
dual channel 1 gig my a$$...

:shrug: They should have offered you cross shipping ok you have to put out money but you get it right back.You should have told them that you need your computer running as it's for your work.Well i know i wont be dealing with Kingston unless its a great deal.Its a shame you dont have a extra stick or ram laying around.I used to keep an extra 2x256mb of Geil UP PC3500 laying around just in case but i got a very good offer for it so i sold it.. :bang head

Although a gig stick will usually have higher latencies, and not give the benefit of dual channel why not just keep it and buy another later. Then if you'd like you can try dual channel.

Personally, I'd be on the phone asking who was the tard that told you a single stick will run in dual channel by it's self. The people on the phone should know what they're selling. I'd bring up time lost and costs of shipping.

Ahhh, great tech support, brings back memories of Asus.

YouEatLard said:
Although a gig stick will usually have higher latencies, and not give the benefit of dual channel why not just keep it and buy another later. Then if you'd like you can try dual channel.

Personally, I'd be on the phone asking who was the tard that told you a single stick will run in dual channel by it's self. The people on the phone should know what they're selling. I'd bring up time lost and costs of shipping.

Ahhh, great tech support, brings back memories of Asus.

Very good point that guy or girl shouldnt be working as a rep if they dont know what they are talking about.Also what you said about 2x1024 thats a good idea.But would 2 x 1024 @ 3-4-4-8 be better than say
2x512 @2.5-3-3-7?What would be the main benfits and the down fall's of 2x1024@3-4-4-8?Will the extra gig make up for the loose timing's?

Short answer, no.

The rest:
Most people have little or no business with two gigs right now unless they're making or working with media of some sort. The 512 sticks will give the advantage of dual channel (no matter how big or little that advantage is), and either allow you room for overclocking or room to tighten your latencies for extra performance. The first advantage will be debated whether or not does anything other then 1-2 FPS and 50 points on a benchmark or if it's really worth more then that. The second can bump your performance but unless you get a 10%+ overclock I'm not sure the average person will see the gain in this either unless you are really looking for it or unless benchmarking. Same with latencies. The only time I've found these to really make a difference is when I put them all together with a good overclock. Then again this is just what I've found. Some may feel differently.

You may find power in this or you might also think about upgrades down the road. How long might you keep that computer? 1-3 years maybe? Look at the past with RAM needs. Later on a single gig stick will leave room for future upgrades without throwing away or selling the old. Maybe you'll be running something that needs the extra memory.

Which is better? Thats up to you.

I personally run two 512 sticks with tight latencies, but at the same time I figure when I need more then that my gaming rig's parts will end up in my server and I'll buy a new setup as the equivalent jump from XP to my 64 3200 may be on the horizon. Plus I've got a friend who's still running an old 400Mhz PII (I think) box with a new born so, I'll kick the server's hardware over to him./

Yeah pretty much how i figured it would be.Most ram i ever had was 512x512x256x256 in dual channel and it seemed to run and load things much faster but that was with ram that had timings of 2-3-3-6 (Geil UP PC3500)But i couldn't OC it like that worth a dam.
You must be a pretty good friend to kick a decent system over to your boy .He is lucky your his buddy.I wish someone would give me a AMD64 system.

P.S
Cant wait im getting ready to order me a 3700+SD and DFI or epox mobo and a OCZ 520 watt powerstream and a gig set of OCZ gold pc3200vx or pc4000 .Basically im just waiting on the new Videocard's to come out before i make the leap.Im not sure if its worth getting a X800XL or 6800GT right now.The wait is killing me and the money is eatting a hole in me pocket's....lol

Thats why I keep a spare 512x2 of Corsair Value Ram which seems to overclock very well since I got a 2.8ghz P4 to 3.7ghz stable.

-1cem4n

You have Corsair Value ram that lets you OC your 2.8c to 3.7ghz @1:1 or is it on a divider.(please say its on a divider..lol)My 2.8 will do 3.9ghz on air with 1.85volts and idles a 36c like that.So what setting's voltage wise and timings are you getting 3.8ghz with.I need 3-4-4-8 with 3.05 v and 1.75vcore (My Adata PC4000 seems to like voltage's up to to about 3.05 to 3.1 volt's no more though) But fear and common sense tell me not to run it like that.

Last edited:
Most people have little or no business with two gigs right now unless they're making or working with media of some sort

I kind of disagree. Look at BF2. Even with a X850XT and 1GB of RAM on highest settings it lags a little. To run highest settings you need around 2GB of RAM and I bet games in the near future will also start needeing more then 1GB.

Back