• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L3 cache: more cache integrity overhead WRT MESI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

If you have three levels of write-back cache wouldn't that introduce more MESI issues/overhead? Why not just go w/a larger L1 or L2 cache rather than adding an L3 cache?

L1 is per-core. It cannot be shared (or at least if it were shared it would be vastly slower)
L2 is faster than L3 (and costs more). When you're talking 8-16MB of SRAM cache, that can put a dent in the price of the final unit. At least that was the argument a few years ago. I don't know if SRAM manufacturing has improved or anything, or any reason L2 is harder to share than L3, given that the Q9xxx series from Intel used giant L2...

Consider the higher the number, the farther from the cores it is, so the slower it is, and the more cores it is shared between, the greater the latency. So, L1 per core, L2 per "module", L3 per socket. e.g. AMD FX-8xxx has 8 L1 caches, 4 L2 caches, and 1 L3 cache.

Last edited:
Actually FX series have n L3 chaches where n is the number of modules but they are all mirrored.

Actually FX series have n L3 chaches where n is the number of modules but they are all mirrored.

You mean L2? Everything I've ever read (both Intel and AMD, previous gen and current) shows L3 caches being a single relatively large shared-among-all-cores cache.

Let me double check on this, but I distinctly recall them saying it was 2MB per module L3 cache and they are all linked. It was done that way to reduce cache miss fires and such.

Back