• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lapping worries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danomite664

Ok, i am using a vantec aeroflow and i want to lap the heatsink cause i think that might be causing problems. I am worried though that i will just make the surface worse. Can anyone offer pointers on how to lap exactly, what works good, and what kind of results i would even expect?

First, run your fingernail over it to see how uneven it is. If it feels pretty "ridgey" then you might want to lap it.
I went 220>400>600 for my SLK-800...You can take it up to 800grit if you want to make it more of a mirror-like state. Some suggest that going higher makes it better, others suggest that it's not effective over 800grit(including me).
Also, make sure you use BillA's method to lap:
Sand it in 1 direction...do not go back & forth & do not rotate it (move the hs forward, then pick it up and put it back down at its starting point & sand in the very same direction.)
Be very careful to use an absolutely flat surface(like a thick sheet of glass) & put equal pressure on every part of the heatsink or you'll get an uneven lap.
You should take off at least 2-3C from it.

Soy

P.S.
Use a permanent marker on the base to keep track of how much you're sanding...you don't want to sand too much off the base...it also keeps track of any trouble spots that you need to get to. And use AS3 for best results.

Last edited:
heh...I didn't have the time to look for that thread...I just decided to copy one of my replies from a recent thread. :D

Soy

Use wangsters link, MAKE SURE YOU READ ATLEAST THE POSTS BY GRAYSTAR AND BILLA, and then also use the permanent marker trick on the bottom to see how even you are sanding as you go along.

Back