• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop as Dumb Terminal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rh77

Hi -

I'm pretty new here (mostly a FAH member) and have a crazy idea (it may have been done before, but...)

Computing for me is best done on the laptop -- but as we know it has limitations both in space, speed, and cost.

I plan to build a strong, overclockable desktop system later this year (mostly for FAH and FSX), but only have the space and convenience for a laptop and a tower (a flat-panel or CRT is the limiting factor).

Is it possible to take a laptop's keyboard, monitor, and pointing devices, and connect them "dumb-terminal"-style into a tower?

Is this more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks...

RH77

Absolutely possible..

You can run a thin client software and a server software on the tower, but much easier to do (especially if you have Gigabit ethernet on the laptop) would be to to run a VNC clinet on the laptop and server on the Towe4r PC

I like UltraVNC but there are TONS of options here, just google VNC and you will find a bunch.

Audio is pretty easy to forward, too, (with Remote Desktop at least), but video streaming over Remote Desktop or VNC may be kind of choppy, even over LAN, and any sort of 3D gaming is just about impossible.

Back