• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big upgrade to my network.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I have two Ubiquiti WAPs in my house. Both are mounted in the basement. Both are up high on the wall facing in directions to cover the whole house. 1600 sq/ft ranch style.
In the evening, I'll go to bed and fire up my laptop to watch my Plex media server. Every night it's hit (mostly) or miss if the video I select will play. Last night I made a change.

I placed both WAPs up high (as they were on the wall) but laying flat and pointing up. Last night worked... GREAT!

I did some research on the radio pattern of the WAPs and found that I was not pointing them like I thought I was. By placing them flat and pointing up from the basement, the radiation pattern is more favorable. At least I think. One night does not make a pattern nor have I toyed with it enough to see what downsides I may have created.

Use the app store you can find an app for your phone that can do basic wifi signal surveys.

1. The app will show the signal strength
2. The app will show channels with less interference

when ever i installed Ubiquiti mushrooms at work the instructions suggested installing on the ceiling over walls when ever possible...
one instance we werent able to do that but there was a basement so we flipped on facing up under the floor and it worked pretty good.

wifi floors, its the future!

when ever i installed Ubiquiti mushrooms at work the instructions suggested installing on the ceiling over walls when ever possible...
one instance we werent able to do that but there was a basement so we flipped on facing up under the floor and it worked pretty good.

wifi floors, its the future!
This is what I ended up doing. Flipping it upside down so that it is coming up from under the floor.

Back