• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop CPU upgrade question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

So my MSI Wind u100 with 2gb RAM and an SSD died. I plan on re-using the SSD and the RAM if possible. Im on a tight budget here though. Was close to buying a refurb or scratch and dent surplus laptop from ebay (core2duo based if i were to be cheap, or something like a probook 4430s which his a 2nd gen i5 if i could manage the budget) but decided to keep looking. The Wind was previously set up as a workstation PC for my girlfriend. The auto-overclock feature of the Wind made using it to this day really nice. It would get to nearly 2ghz.

I explained this situation to a coworker of mine and he gave me his old HP dv6103nr. He says it has overheating issues, likely needing to have the thermal paste redone. He said if i could fix it, i could have it. I figure, sure why not!? However, if im gonna be that deep in there, maybe i can upgrade the processor too? I have found conflicting information online about the upgrade path for this thing. It currently has a Core Solo t1350. At first glance it looks like it can only go up to a Core Duo (not a Core 2 Duo) T2700 2.3ghz unit. Further research has people saying they managed to put a Core2Duo in there and the highest of which is supposedly compatible is a Core2Duo T7600. This is what i eventually found that led me there:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/CPU-upgrade/td-p/228896
I would just like some feedback. The t7600 seems to run around $40-ish on ebay. This seems liek it would be worth it to me. I dont feel like spending the same $40-ish for a t2700 would be worth it, however (though, i would probably feel safer about doing this upgrade). What do you all think?

Three things.

1) most laptops have cpu and gpu soldered on.
2) just because the chip may fit, doesn't mean the bios/firmware will support it
3) that's a LOT of effort for a single core laptop. 40$ is a disproportionate amount of money to throw at it.

Just some things to consider.

Ended up not throwing any money at it (was actually trying to locate a compatible cpu from spare parts some work friends had since they had alot of piled up laptops from that era). I had previously confirmed the CPU was not soldered on, it was socket m and i did alot of research verifying it could be upgraded (possibly needing a BIOS update). I got it apart and re-did the thermal paste last night and man...it would have been so easy to throw a new cpu in there and i wish i had one handy to put in. Alas, i did not and needed it up and running right away so i buttoned it back up and its up and running. Only recognizing 1gb of my 2gb ram stick though, but the SSD works great. It runs better than i expected. Makes me wish i could have had a core2duo in there, woulda been so happy lol.

Back