• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Overclcocking - DONT FLAME!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

me2hat_head

Registered
Right, I have a friend who is extremely jealous that my notebook runs Modern Warfare 2 at extra settings and he gets lag on low. His laptop is an Acer aspire 5542 with an AMD Turion 64 ii m500 @2.2ghz and the gpu is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.
Because I am sick of him constantly asking to use my laptop, I said I would overclock his, but there would be risk of component damage. He said ok (his philosophy is that if it breaks, his parents will buy him a new one anyway lol) and I set about googling benchmarks. I have found none, and every time I run setfsb/ATItool/MSI Afterburner, they don't allow me to tweak anything.

Any ideas?

You have to find the PLL for the drive in order for it to work. I havent heard of afterburner or any other program that overclocks onboard GPUs (except for the new CPU's with GPU's in them in which its done in the bios).

Tell him to kill it in another way and get a better laptop. A 4200, even overclocked wont run COD:MW2 very well.

The speccs on your laptop are leaps and bounds better than his.

Tell him to kill it in another way and get a better laptop. A 4200, even overclocked wont run COD:MW2 very well.

The speccs on your laptop are leaps and bounds better than his.

Try telling him that! I offered to build him a gaming tower for under his TV, something small like a micro ATX but he just prefers laptops. :screwy:

I supppose this creates another question: How does one destroy a laptop without the parents knowing it was on purpose lol

Last edited:
Unfortunately/fortunately he has only himself to blame, I'm sure his parents said here's such and such £££ and choose which laptop you want. I'm sure he didn't do any research and just jumped in and now he's caught up the hole he dug himself as a result.

Any integrated graphics will always be inferior to discreet graphics. While his CPU is also much slower than yours it's his GPU that's causing his jealousy.

Perhaps instead of moaning (because that's easy) he would be much better off selling his laptop off on eBay, next getting some more cash and then combined buying a new better laptop.

You can't just overclock laptops as modern desktops, very few have overclocking options in the BIOS, and those that do are very expensive compared to what he's got. Doing it via PLL hacking from within Windows is messy.

He doesn't really have a clue when it comes to computers anyway to be honest (probably couldn't tell the diff between hardware and software lol) so it is all his own fault.
Anywho, we managed to get MW2 running medium with no lag after using iobots 'Gamebooster'. Absolutely fantastic piece of software,.

You can play with SetFSB, some older and free versions should have pll for most notebooks and maybe this one is on the list too. It's of course not safe to click on all pll on the list but in most cases when laptop freezes just restart it or remove power cord + battery and all should back to normal. For gpu check if other catalyst version have overclocking options or try some older soft because I doubt that you can oc using afterburner.
It's still better to get new , much faster notebook because overclocking won't give more than 10% boost in this case so if you have ~20FPS then you get ~22 ( !? ) ... and can burn your friends notebook while trying.

If the game doesn't run properly at stock clocks, then overclocking it IS NOT A MAGIC CURE!

the video card is the problem so no amount of ocing the cpu would help. however it is in a cpu bound resolution but the GPU just cant handle all the details going on even at the resolution, trying to use med/high, etc. tell him he needs a better video card for the laptop but upgrading video mean newer laptop.

the only way to really oc the laptop is to pin/pad mod it. since amd is not my area im not sure if the chipset would support higher native fsb's being it is a AMD cpu. which leads me as to why this was posted in the intel section instead of the amd section?

Back