• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop power issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hey everyone,

Quick question, parents have an old acer aspire its many years old and it does still work. The problem I am having with it is when I push the power on it won't turn on (battery is already well and truly dead) now when I go and plug in the printer via the USB on the size of it then press to power it on. It loads up and works fine.

Question does anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Essentially if my wood work skills are not to rubbish I am looking to take all the parts out from its broken laptop shell then shove it into a box/case made out of wood and use it in the living room at their place as a steam link from the desktop which is in another room so the kids have something to play if they come visit (can't have desktop in living room stock fan makes alot of noise and my parents can't stand the noise lol).

Cheers,

Bandit.

Does plugging the printer into any of the USB ports enable power on or does that work on only one USB port. Or, does the laptop only have one USB port?

If nothing else take it apart and clean it out. You're not getting enough power to turn it on at the dc-in and adding a printer via a usb port gives it the power. That's the trouble with tribbles. No pun intended.

Will report back once I am able to find it. Its at the parents some place under the house was abit busy Xmas day when I was there. Prob be there on 01/01 or 02/01 hopefully I can get my hands on it to provide more information.

Seems to only when the printer is plugged in via USB on the left USB port the other two back ones do nothing for the laptop to start up.

Sounds like either the contact pins of that port are buggered up or the soldered connection on the motherboard for that port has gotten loose. I would do a visual inspection of the port to check the pins. If nothing looks irregular I would disassemble the laptop to the point where you can inspect the soldered joint for that port. Or, just don't use that port. Does plugging in another peripheral device like a flash drive or a mouse cause the machine to restart or does this happen only with the printer?

Back