• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop PSU voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

Hello
Trying to keep this simple. I lost my laptop specific power supply for my Toshiba P305-S8904 laptop.
this was a 75W 19V 3.95A unit.
Now being a broke bloke I am wondering if I can use a different PSU from a old Dell. It is a 90W 19.5V 4.62A unit.

My single concern is the voltage. Will the extra ½ volt cause damage to the laptop?:confused:

Google search has yielded conflicted answers. My limited electronics knowledge tells me the ½volt difference is not a problem but I would like to (hopefully) get a solid answer.

I doubt it would be a problem. The PSU can easily vary in voltage by 0.5v just from load. You might have 19.0v when the computer is idle, but max out the CPU while the battery is charging with a bright screen and it could drop 0.5v easy. The battery voltage is far more variable than 0.5v. Going from fully charged to discharged, you're looking at a difference of probably around 3 volts.

Back