• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKooL

Registered
I have an old AMD K6-2 300Mhz laptop with 128 megs of ram. I tried crunching it once, but at 48 hours per WU, it was slow goin :D

Is there anything I can do to save this thing, or is it even good to keep a laptop running all the time?

Also, it just wails on my "CPU time per WU" average :p

Thanks,

-Joe

my k6-2's are why my times are worse than yours jkool. i actually did a WU on my main rig in just a bit over 3.2 hours yesterday. makes me sad that my average time is over 8 hours now i think. oh well, i would rather be in the top crunchers than the top cpu times. see you on the stats page jk :D

dang Jk, we're both in the process of getting crushed by this ss69nova guy... i need more computers :mad:

48 hours per WU was WITH the CLC version :cool:

Yeah, I don't think I'll be usin' that anymore.

Thanks guys.

-Joe

I fired up my old dual P166 server with the command line client, took it 72 hours to do a work unit :D. Funny thing is my Pentium Pro 200 can do one in 20-22 hours, big difference for only 34Mhz more of speed.

The Pentium Pro is a 6th generation core. It was the predecessor of the PII & PIII. The difference has less to do with MHz difference and more to do with core architecture. Pentium Pros also had the ability to go to 1MB of cache. Long story short, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

I decided to just throw it out there and have it crunch. 45 hours now estimated for the first WU :)

Consider this 300 mhz K6-2 powerhouse my donation to the 3000 WU / week goal :eek: :D

-Joe

I have a celly 1.1 with 512 ram running 24/7 for about 4 weeks now and it seams to be keeping up with temps. It takes me about 18 hours / wu.

demont - don't worry i just lost my P4 1.4 for a little while so i am down to just the amd and laptop. See ya at the top.

ss69nova said:
I have a celly 1.1 with 512 ram running 24/7 for about 4 weeks now and it seams to be keeping up with temps. It takes me about 18 hours / wu.

demont - don't worry i just lost my P4 1.4 for a little while so i am down to just the amd and laptop. See ya at the top.

Thats a shame, what happened to it?

i think it might be the mobo it is a d850gb. It is one of those three months wonders that intel put out. rambus 800mhz. I am loooking for a mobo but i am having a hard time finding one. any ideas? tried prive watch. tiger direct, comp geeks.

hopefully i will find one some time soon.

Back