• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Large Amount of Temp Files??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
"C:\Users\Dad\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

(Vista64 IE9)

Multiple folders with anywhere from 3,000 to 13,000+ temp files each. They appear to be innocuous and not malware. Malwarbytes, AVG and SAS show clean.
What the hell would cause this?

"C:\Users\Dad\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

(Vista64 IE9)

Multiple folders with anywhere from 3,000 to 13,000+ temp files each. They appear to be innocuous and not malware. Malwarbytes, AVG and SAS show clean.
What the hell would cause this?

Those are the cached files from Internet Explorer.
I remember having to cleans those up regularly (running out of room!), until I switched to Chrome :p

You can control how much space & clean them up with one click :)

Internet Options in the control panel.
Just hit settings.
interweb.PNG

I ran across this some years ago and forget what it was........and that cause may be obsolete now.

It's also possible either the index.dat file or the content.ie5 folder is corrupt. You might want to try deleting the content.ie5 folder like Bobby suggested (which contains the index.dat file)... Start | Run | Type cmd--> Right click and "Run as administrator" | Type the following at the command prompt...

del "C:\Users\Dad\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

Before you can delete the content.ie5 folder, you may need to end task on explorer.exe first. Just make sure IE is closed, and the command prompt is open first. Also don't close Task Manager before using it to restart the GUI. After you reboot the content.ie5 folder will be re-created.

Those are the cached files from Internet Explorer.
I remember having to cleans those up regularly (running out of room!), until I switched to Chrome :p

You can control how much space & clean them up with one click :)

Internet Options in the control panel.
Just hit settings.

S_P,

Thanks for that reminder, I shortened that up from 250MB to 40MB

Redduc,

Will try yours next, thank you. :thup:

How to clean infected Temporary Internet Files...
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support/how-to-clean-infected-temporary-internet-files-1040.html
http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-do-i-restart-in-safe-mode-1022.html

:thup:

Edit: show hidden files on ;)
In essence reboot in safe mode and kill em all!

Surely being a temp folder you could nuke the whole folder maybe...

Bobby,

I tried that, that folder and .DAT file remains. I remember them being difficult to remove.

Good Bitdefender reading, thank you!

Bobby,

I tried that, that folder and .DAT file remains. I remember them being difficult to remove.

Good Bitdefender reading, thank you!

Try rmdir /q /s

I've had files that were over the file name length, and that was the only way to remove them. should work in your case.

If not file Assasin from Malwarebytes can unlock them allowing you to delete 'em

If not file Assasin from Malwarebytes can unlock them allowing you to delete 'em

So far this is working, nothing else did. There are two INDEX.DAT files created at the same time and of the same size. I deleted the one in the long path above with File Assasin.
I'm well aware of the dangers of messing with .DAT files but these seem to be safe to delete so they can be recreated by default and uncorrupted. Most all Google searches
recommended deleting to cure the problem using various deletion methods.

Back