• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large SETI files, anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

I'm not sure if my new CPU is throttling back performance due to excessive heat or if I've just been receiving really large packets from SETI. For instance, I currently have one project that is 9.3% complete, and it's been running for ten hours of CPU time. And it says that it will be almost 16 more hours before the project is complete!

I normally get packets that took my 3700+ anywhere from thirty minutes (small packets) to five or six hours (large packets). But this is strange. Anyone else experiencing this, or do I have hardware issues?

Sounds like there is a problem, no WUs should be that slow. What temps are you getting with the Opti? also did you check if there is something in the background stealing your CPU cycles?

10 hours for 9% of the WU is waay to slow.

It's been six hours since I posted, and I just got home. That same packet is STILL stuck at 9.356%. It has now been running for sixteen hours and expects 22 more hours until completion. The other project running on the other core seems to be running normally.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the WU? Is one of my cores fried? Is it possible to abort a project and start a new one?

I think that wu is bad. First things first though check performance in task manager to make sure the chip is not throttling if ok go to your boinc manager window, select the work unit and on the left hand side you will have show graphics suspend and abort select abort and ok any conformation screens that come up.

The stock app is known to rarely loop, or get stuck on a WU. If you are running an optimized app, this shouldn't happen.

Are you running optimized?

Back