• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED/resistor question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know that part. :p

I'm trying to figure out what resistor value will get me the brightest light without burning out the LED. Maybe the packaging will tell me what voltage it's supposed to use.

I want the LEDs to be bright because I'm going to use them for the reverse lights in the taillights of my car.

Re: Re: LED/resistor question

NookieN said:
The pdf linked on that page says 3.5V typical, and 4V maximum. So to run it at 20mA, you'll need about a 420Ohm resistor.
Ah, thanks. I just reformatted and haven't reinstalled Acrobat yet. :)

The higher the Voltage the brighter the light. Now you can go up to the maximum rating (maybe a lttle over without damaging the silica element). If you over blow it the duty cycle decreases exponentially.

Take a multimeter to that 12V line. Find out the max amps. Then use that in your little Ohm's law'age V=iR to find your resistor value based off all that junk.

What you needed to look for is the highest MCD rated LED's you can get. A rating of 1k-3000 is a normal LED. The bright ones go up to 6-7k which is obnoctiously bright. Hopefully you bought those, then youll be good to go.

Back