• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo x61t vs hp tablets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wickedbear

I recently had my t61 stolen.. (this week at work). Unfortunately he entered and left the building hitting the 36 and 35th floor of my office in 6 minutes piggybacking on other persons key cards. So now i need to replace it.. and this time i want a tablet.

I really liked lenovos build quality, i felt like i couldn't break it if i tried, are the hp tablets the same way?

From a price vs performance perspective, which one wins. Luckily i get a discount since i work where I do, and i get about 100$ off more on the ibm's than the hp's.

Last time i was deciding on a laptop this forum gave great advice and i didn't regret my t61 at all. The tablet will primarily be used for taking notes in school, and programming on the road.

Ive only owned one tablet to date but im glad i went hp. their business machines are just so much better built than the home brew that its rediculous. I havent had a single problem that wasnt self inflicted heh... Of course the x61 is definitly a popular unit as well.

I think if you want a nice strong lightweight unit with the option of a higher res screen, the x61 is pretty much the winner. its the only convertable aside from the fujitsu 4220 that ofers sxga.
although the hp 2710, although lacking in some of the tablet functionality of the x61 does offer a lot of expandability options with the slim dock and slim external batteries. The ibm batteries arent to my liking since they stick out the back. i think you can still get extra capacity ones but they make the unit beefier still. the hp, just clicks onto the bottom.

performence wise, i think the ibm offers the higher end cpus where this generation hp only offers ULV. if batter ylife is a concern, the hp will offer you 4hour average life thanks to the LED backlit screen. im pretty sure ibm doesnt offer that on anything but their super ultra portables.

i use a tc4200. physically thay are similar in size to the ibm. my next one is gonna be a 2710 or 2730.

id say if your doing a LOT of inking, the ibm might be better sinc ehte 2710 doesnt have any tablet buttons. dont know why hp did that exactly. but its a really nice sleek little unit that only weighs like 3.5lbs.

I enjoy my HP tablet. I have the tx2000 series and it works well in linux and windows.

Haven't used the Lenovo ones and hear good things about them but I can recommend the HP.

hp tablet isn't actually a tablet, its a touch screen. Go play with it, when you realize you have to drag the pen across the screen to move the mouse you will think again. You will love the x60t/x61t

I have an x60t with warranty for sale in the classifieds....check it out need to move it ASAP.

correction, the tx1000 series is passive touch but the 2000 series and all other hp tablet pcs are wacom. except like. the tc1000 which was passive digitizer.

im actully a little impressed with the tx2000's but their palm rejection for the touch portion kinda blows and gets realy annoying. the wacom functions perfectly though aside from this little quam.

I do digital art on my tc4200 and its fantastic.just wish it was a little ligher and smaller. but 12" screen can only get so small. keyboard is the best laptop one ive used ever, which is why ill probably get a 2710p, because its the same keyboard.

hp tablet isn't actually a tablet, its a touch screen. Go play with it, when you realize you have to drag the pen across the screen to move the mouse you will think again. You will love the x60t/x61t

I have an x60t with warranty for sale in the classifieds....check it out need to move it ASAP.

HP consumer tablets are quite rubbish in terms of build quality. No where near the build quality of the lenovo. However their bussiness solutions are quite good, on par or exceeding thinkpad build quality. Unfortunately for HP, everyone often forgets about their business tablet solutions. I have a thread that highlights some of the differences between HP's business and consumer tablet products. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=570660

Last edited:
It's late, but...

I own a Thinkpad x60t since january.

Well, how shall I put it? I believe it's gorgeous. I didn't like the low resolution (XGA) on the other 12"-tablets, so here I am with SXGA+ (1400x1050) :santa2:
Some people say it's too small, but I like it that way. Goes along nicely with my 20"-MVA-TFT which has the same y-resolution of 1050.

Some thoughts (about tablets in general)
You will need MS Windows.
You will need MS OneNote. (MSDN-AA might help here?)
You will have a more heavy notebook. (My x60t with the 8-cell-battery is ~2 kg, a x60 is about 1.65 kg)
You will have a deeper notebook (~ 1 inch).

The thinkpad has some additional advantages:
IBM made a software-kit some time ago, the "thinkvantage"-stuff. It's nice to have it all covered (including backup, all-connection-manager (wlan, various networks you connect to, ...) with great power (e.g. it can start a vpn-session automatically when connecting to a certain network) and so on).

Would buy it again ;)

I recently had my t61 stolen.. (this week at work). Unfortunately he entered and left the building hitting the 36 and 35th floor of my office in 6 minutes piggybacking on other persons key cards. So now i need to replace it.. and this time i want a tablet.

Is this covered by your company's insurance?

I own a Thinkpad x60t since january.

Well, how shall I put it? I believe it's gorgeous. I didn't like the low resolution (XGA) on the other 12"-tablets, so here I am with SXGA+ (1400x1050) :santa2:
Some people say it's too small, but I like it that way. Goes along nicely with my 20"-MVA-TFT which has the same y-resolution of 1050.

Some thoughts (about tablets in general)
You will need MS Windows.

Is there no support in Linux for tablets?

Is there no support in Linux for tablets?
Well, there is. But it's not even close to that of Windows. Handwriting recognition with WinXP tablet/Vista works out of the box and flawlessly, OneNote searches (full text!) what you write or 'import' (pictures, audio (!), pdf...)).
There is no competition- unfortunatelly. Tablet is a MS idea, that's just it. Anyway it works very nice ;)

Okay I'll show you what I mean:
clickit
You see a screenshot of OneNote while I was working on one of my courses' exercises. The part sticking out with "3.4 Skizzieren (...)" is clipped out of a pdf and converted to some jpeg/png/whateverdontcare and is easily scalable (and of course searchable).
Also note that all text I wrote there is searchable via the searchline in the upper right corner- or with Windows Search for that matter ;-) Meaning, if I type "Drehzahl" (which you can find in the clipped part) while working on any document in Onenote (which are way over a dozen), I'll see this as one search result. Same would go for "Damit" you might be able to decipher in the picture :-/

No way Linux/GNU-programms can top that. But Onenote is free for students anyway :attn:

edit: This looks like commercials :-/ Sorry for that. I hereby state that I hate Microsoft (they didn't develope Onenote btw, they -again- bought the company that did) *g*

Back