• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LET'S GET STUPID WITH A 7970!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
trixx, but the card is voltage locked so I will use it for folding and will back it up with the gigabyte i got from you.

;)
I hit 1846 @stock. Not much of a difference, only 5£ with 200MHz/530MHz difference.

It seems the CPU is the bottleneck, lol!

Can't do much about it, I've hit the BCLK wall... :rain:

Might try with the memory, but I doubt that I can do any better. Will try anyway.
View attachment 156196

Does that say 3.024 Vcore? :shock:

@Caddi
75% ASIC is alright... Not the hand picked cherries or anything.

Higher % usually means a better card for OC torture IIRC :D
Though I don't believe it. My 7850 has 84.6% ASIC quality and it just sucks for stability when on a high OC :-/

Last edited:
Does that say 3.024 Vcore? :shock:

@Caddi
75% ASIC is alright... Not the hand picked cherries or anything.

Higher % usually means a better card for OC torture IIRC :D
Though I don't believe it. My 7850 has 84.6% ASIC quality and it just sucks for stability when on a high OC :-/

Yep, ASIC doesn't always reflect the OC capabilities...

The 280x I use now has a "low" 70% ASIC, but is Gaming/Benching stable@1200MHz+ on the core and 1950MHz on the memory.

What sucks id that even if the Dual-X is voltage unlocked, it has a HUGE vdrop: when [email protected], voltage drops to 1.2v on load...

Yep, ASIC doesn't always reflect the OC capabilities...

The 280x I use now has a "low" 70% ASIC, but is Gaming/Benching stable@1200MHz+ on the core and 1950MHz on the memory.

What sucks id that even if the Dual-X is voltage unlocked, it has a HUGE vdrop: when [email protected], voltage drops to 1.2v on load...

Wow that's awful :(

Try using Trixx - it lets me set the voltage on my 270x where MSI AB can't.

Vdrop is driven by hardware (vrm's to be precise), and as there is no llc calibration/hack onbthe 280x, only way to fix it is volt modding the card.

Scout you may not know C/D that well to suggest volt modding his card. I can only imagine what kind of voltage he will try if he did that.

I sold him the card lol, at least it has a full cover block on it. It will be a noble death !

poor thing is on air.
after the bios flash disaster with the other card I may just have to stop that stuff.

Last edited:
so does the gigagyte, if not for nebs and the gang here it would have just been another listing on the bone pile.
I'll get nervy again and give borking it another try.

Vdrop is driven by hardware (vrm's to be precise), and as there is no llc calibration/hack onbthe 280x, only way to fix it is volt modding the card.

Ooops. I read that your card was voltage locked. Not unlocked :eek:

ok, so that one topped out pretty quick but I'm happy with it.
the asus is just so huge, the cooler is great and very quiet.

but now on to the gigabyte card, much thinner with some more noise, the fans are just a little growly.
it was delivered with one of those hard shelled little bugs in it, you should have heard the little snot take his beating!!!!! then pwtwing and i had to pull it out to find the noise and poured little chunks of him out.

so here's my baseline.

base+ 25 on the vram to even it up.

1025, falls behind the asus right off the bat, no what i would have expected.

Attachments

• baseline.JPG
    baseline.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 42
  • base+25 mem.JPG
    base+25 mem.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1025.JPG
    1025.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Back