• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's start a petition to fire AMD PR and Marketing staff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Should most of AMD PR and Marketing staff be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters
jAY said:
Gee, i dont know, benchmarks?
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothandesktop&page=1

edit
its hard to find benchmarks for this CPU
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1728503,00.asp

And when you do, its always chipz at different speeds....
GamePC still has the clostest AMD vs Intel MHz....

But i would really love to see what this CPU could do with a modern Chipset and RAM

that gamepc's review was "rigged" with very loose ram timing on athlon64,there're threads of it already ;) perhaps you've missed it?

you have to pay attention to "CPU intensive benchmarks" not the "GPU/videocard intensive benchmarks",which gamepc purposely ran @ 1024x768 which results being "GPU/videocard limited" ;)

Pentium M topic may be one for a different thread.

Please vote and post about AMD public relations department achievements/screw-ups in this thread.

The original post was just an example, it's not about the announcement, it's about them specifically saying that it "wasn't important," and about us watching them do this sort of thing for years now.

They were hired to help increase AMD market share, and damn it they should fight for each 0.1%, no matter what Ivy League scool they may or may not have gone to.

I think AMD's PR department is very poor in terms of overall marketing. The most foolish thing I've seen to date from them is the 4000+ Athlon64 which is an FX-53 renamed and sold for less than the FX53 :confused: . I dont think it can get anyworse than that folks.

Fire em marketers or at least set them into the right direction so that they can make things look better for AMD in the near future.

OC-Master

ya it lookz soo ****in rigged if tht were true life would not be worth living ;)

anywayz back to the topic .. do u really expect AMD to go to the public and say hey look at this only 90nm?? comeon who the hell cares or even knoes wtf tht is .. explaining it would take about a day ...

The way i see it .. it goes into the fact tht this nation is controlled by the media .. they never saw the green man group they jus saw the blue man group on tv not the mention the countless "powered by intel" idiots .. soo basically they cant escape their bias views and branded names in their head.

Pretty nonchalant PR group there but it maybe a front for more strategic lines of attack. I think the fault also lies with the top management who are too cautious for their own good. Not everybody has the knack of falling on their face like Intel or M$. AMD should be more confident of their ability to deliver quality produts and stick it to the big boys. I guess they are worried that in a war of marketing with Intel (who hold sway over the man on the street) Intel wins the PR war. So they are trying the stealth attack technique, ambushing intel in the server market and negotiating with Dell on the namebrand PC market. Only time will tell if this was a wise move. So, I'm not too sure the PR team has anything to do with this low key approach. It seems to be a conscious decision by the management to keep it that way.

I vote NO.

Don't fire the AMD PR team! They have families to support and bills to pay. With all the jobs going over seas, we need to keep Americans employed. Plus, AMD's problems isn't their PR, it's the ever growing stupidity of the American public. Have you seen these brainless realty shows and how popular they are? It shows how ignorant this society is. So they see a P4 3.0 Ghz, they automatically think it's faster then a 2.4 Ghz AMD. A lot of the IT professionals I work with have no clue about AMD superiority either. Yes it is beyond the normal public that this stupidity spreads. AMD can only educate the public so much.

I always believed that they should do some better PR, to the average consumer there is only one CPU maker and thats Intel. I believe its time for them to get there act together.

j3lly said:
that gamepc's review was "rigged" with very loose ram timing on athlon64,there're threads of it already ;) perhaps you've missed it?

you have to pay attention to "CPU intensive benchmarks" not the "GPU/videocard intensive benchmarks",which gamepc purposely ran @ 1024x768 which results being "GPU/videocard limited" ;)

Rigged or were they trying to make a closer average.
Athlon still runs at a high FSP with Faster Memory...
And its not like the Pentium-M has mem timmings that much higher really.

But like i said before, i want a modern chipsets and the same MHz so we can get apples to apples.....

Why does Intel hate that CPU????
Pentium Pro lives on people, yes thats right. This is just an upgraded core of
Pentium Pro -> Pentium 2 -> Pentium 3 -> Pentium M

Dadburn right, fire 'em. Enough of that 'walk soft and big stick' BS. They need to pick up that
stick and start 'whaling-away' with it. course, Ed Stroligo did have a point about "who can f*** up the most this year".

AMD has the gaming segment, they need to sway users who don't game, which is most people, thats the biggest negative in my view.

If they had somet like Hyperthreading AMD 64's would be unstoppable at the moment i think.

jAY said:
Rigged or were they trying to make a closer average.
Athlon still runs at a high FSP with Faster Memory...
And its not like the Pentium-M has mem timmings that much higher really.

actually,athlon64 doesn't have any FSB,Pentium-M was OC and running much higher bus @ 460 mhz,
where athlon64 was held back and starved with very loose ram timing and very slow "2T"... those results just don't look right...

btw,just voted,almost forgot ;)

Last edited:
Voodoo Rufus said:
I really think if AMD put some solid effort into marketing on TV, magazines and otherwise, they could really make inroads. No, the AMD ME stuff does not count.

They need to talk about their speed, their lower power, their cost effectiveness (part depending yes, but the value is still there in some areas). Maybe even push their 64bit stuff a bit.

I think once WIN64 really hit's the market they will jump.
Rob

Grov said:
AMD has the gaming segment, they need to sway users who don't game, which is most people, thats the biggest negative in my view.

If they had somet like Hyperthreading AMD 64's would be unstoppable at the moment i think.

no athlon 64 would not benifit from something like hyperthreading, because natively its a extremely effecient processor.
Hyperthreading was something intel came up with only to try and keep the P4's lazy *** pipelines more full and not be so non productive per clock cycle.

The Dothan core wont get intel very far either, hell its a overclocked P3 architecture - > hence why its so effecient, but that architecture is very limited, even as the overclocks show....yeah it can outpace current A64's by a few % but current A64's have plenty of headroom.
on top of that the Dothan(P3) was not meant to be hooked up to a high bandwidth bus/memory architecture .... almost like AthlonXP's dont benifit from dual channel.
The more effecient architecture u make on the CPU the less bandwidth hungry the bus architecture has to be.
look at P4 it needs high mhz and high memory bandwidth to be worth crap
look at AthlonXP's it runs lower mhz and bandwidth is not much of aconcern to it
look at Athlon 64 and we are back at square one with an extremely effecient chip and it takes advantage of both dual channel and single channel very well, but look at the bandwidth numbers of both and compare to performance gain is very small, because the A64 does not need a crap load of bandwidth to be awesome.

I believe unless intel truely finds some new method of making processors, both dothan and P4 are dead end roads until something amazing comes out.

I would disagree amdking.

How much bandwidth a CPU can handle will be a function of its core speed. Hence why P4s don't benefit from the 925 and DDR2, and why A64's don't benefit a whole lot from dual channel.

P4 is at the end of its line because Intel can't crank them any higher for the heat load they put out for power density (and leakage, and probably some engineering related things I don't know about).
Athlon64s will reach the end of their speed chain for the same reason. Just a matter of time.
Taking a Dothan, putting a good heatsink on it, and running it in a desktop will yield performance boosts beyond that of the P4s and A64s. Give it a memory bus to match, and it does have a future, at least temporarily. If it being related to P3 is true, then it is a step both forward and backward. Backward in architecture, but forwards by means of the die shrinks from recent years.

Now, back to our scheduled broadcast of firing AMD's PR guys. :p

Yes
sorry guys, i like your underdog image, but you dont work it well enough. i like the AMD logos and such, but the advertising needs to step up!

I had a topic somewhere in the past about how management is crucial for company success.
AMD marketing team should work simultaneously in few directions:
1.Sign agreements with computer companies like Dell/HP/Compaq etc. (mentioned on this thread)
2.Work on the CPU's IMAGE - without the technical details - just tell it's simply CHEAPER and FASTER.And heck, what can be a better gimmick than a "64 bit architecture".
3.Be more in the news - host LAN parties, Linux exhibitions etc - show them AMD is in business.

Most of the people don't know AMD even exists, over 50% local stores don't even sell AMDs- that shows the marketing failed ( or simply no marketing).

here is Ed's take on this:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1151/

And once again, people that say a Pentium M is nothing more than a hyped up Pentium 3...

Well the Pentium Pro -> Pentium 2 ->Pentiun 3->Pentium M are all based on the same design. Intel has been remaking this CPU since 1995

Nice article, guess I'll have too wait a little more before swithing

I guess that Intel isn't trying to sell these pentium m's because they will have a hard time tying to sell a 1.8 chip for a guy that just got his pentium 4 2.8c.

Back