• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's start a petition to fire AMD PR and Marketing staff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Should most of AMD PR and Marketing staff be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters
Jay: I take issue with it being the "same" architecture. Yes, it is basically the same length (though not the same) on the architecture. However, to say that it is the same thing is just wrong. Not a single member from the pentium pro team was involved on the pentium M, and I would bet that none were from pentium 2 either. The people who were involved have vastly changed, and thus, the people who knew the architectures ins and outs by heart, are gone.

When the Israel team took over, they designed what they thought was a good idea, and with what intel would allow them. Is it roughly based on the same thing? I'm sure, but then again, so does any short pipeline architecture.

jAY said:

so,what's your take on that article?
did you actually read that ibm article and understand it?

btw,who is Ed Stroligo? dunno how he could be silly enough and take that ibm article and twisted it upside down, taking it totally outta contex in order to fit into his crazy agenda then put it on the front page,so people are either confused by it or laugh. :rolleyes:

... well i kinda get it but i do agree with Ed smart guy .. Some of the IBM to AMD comparisions were like wtf but over all he has a good point ..
Ed said:
AMD can't make fast 90nm Hammers now.
AMD thinks it can make fast 90nm Hammers around six months from now. Then they'll get loud about it.
IBM's plans are the first semi-solid indication that these plans aren't based on a hope and a prayer.
There ought to be a sizable jump in maximum performance from AMD chips when this next generation gets introduced.
If all goes well, it ought to be enough to get the Hammer bandwagon rolling.
No guarantees, but if you haven't bought a Hammer because of lack of extra bang for your buck, this ought to change your mind.
For you cheapskates out there, if all goes well, even Semprons ought to be relative powerhouses compared to almost anything out there today.
At that point, the big shift starts and the bandwagon begins.

I don't think marketing did a good job, but I certainlyl believe PR system was the best counter-attack for "megaherz is the performance" thoughts brought up by Intel. I don't know what AMD could do without PR.

Avg
Sure Intel Is Pushing and trying to sell them.
Ever notice how all new models are only sold by model number?
Pentium 4's are 5XX and 6XX while Pentium M's are 7XX
So all Joe Sixpack will see in the giant elctronic store is Pentium M is a higher model

@man_utd
Its Just as much the same architecture as Willamette, NorthWoods and Prescotts are.
P4 Xeons count too in the same P68 core club
yes Pentium M's have one major difference being the Bus its connected to, but is bsicly teh same design re-worked for lower power modern BUS with more moder features.
Still dont belive me
Why then is the CPU's Family ID the same as the Pentium Pro? Pentium 2? Pentium 3? Lookig at the ID it comes right after oddly enough Pentium 3
Pentium M starts @ 6-9-5 and Pentium 3 coppermine ends at 6-8-1 Tualatin @ 6-b-1 (6-11-1)
Go see for yourself
http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/picture/intel_cpu.html

@j3lly
I voted dont fire them
Article by IBM seems to be telling us as far as i understand incressing voltage still helps, but you are starting to have a very small window now of when it helps more than it hurts. In the past it been once you hit that 25% range 5+/-% and you cooling. IBM is just showing what looks like more proof of what they have already said. And i am gona quote my sig as its an IBM quote

"Somewhere between 130-nm and 90-nm the whole system fell apart. Things stopped working and nobody seemed to notice" -Bernie Meyerson -IBM's Chief Technology Officer - 04/05/04

And that is all the article is still saying. Nothing has been fixed yet

True but I'll bet some are going to be asking for the mhz of a certain cpu model, unless they advertise about it then people will go along with it. But it's not hard though to explain to people that a athlon or a pentium m does more work per clock, most people I explained this to understood right way what I meant. Even though it's going to tough on AMD if Intel decides to go with the p-m it just means the battle will go on and better prices for us.

jAY said:
@j3lly
I voted dont fire them
Article by IBM seems to be telling us as far as i understand incressing voltage still helps, but you are starting to have a very small window now of when it helps more than it hurts. In the past it been once you hit that 25% range 5+/-% and you cooling. IBM is just showing what looks like more proof of what they have already said. And i am gona quote my sig as its an IBM quote

"Somewhere between 130-nm and 90-nm the whole system fell apart. Things stopped working and nobody seemed to notice" -Bernie Meyerson -IBM's Chief Technology Officer - 04/05/04

And that is all the article is still saying. Nothing has been fixed yet

jay,fire them or not is beside the point,you're still not getting it ;)

http://www-03.ibm.com/technology/power/newsletter/august2004/article7.html

let's start with the title:

*IBM PowerPC 970FX power envelope and power management*

that ibm article is really about "how the PowerPC 970FX microprocessor covers a large frequency and power envelope through the use of dynamic frequency and voltage scaling","A power envelope shows the complete range of frequency and power available for the microprocessor." using THEORETICAL numbers and graphs.

that 100w number is a MAXIMUM THEORETICAL POWER ENVELOPE number,to contrast against how wonderful ibm's power saving/management (similiar to amd's cool'n'quite but more advance) Technology are...
did you know? that it can dynamically scale/adjust mhz/voltage instantly in a single cycle/clock all the way up to (THEORETICAL) 100w,which is very impressive ;)

thorogh out that article the word (THEORETICAL) came up several times,including a *DISCLAIMER* on the bottom "The numbers shown for the PowerPC 970FX processor are theoretical and to date, have not been confirmed by IBM or a third party in a real-world environment over the full voltage range."

dunno how Ed Stroligo can twisted IBM's Technology Highlights upside down into IBM's Technology *LOW-lights* :p LOL,and all that crazy SOI stuff... Ed Stroligo should do some research first and have a big fat *DISCLAIMER* that says he "was dropped on the head as child" :D LOL

where did that quote in your sig came from? what context? links?
sounds like Bernie Meyerson is taking a jab @ intel/presHott :clap:

We have pushed curret tech to its knees and now its begging for mercy.
All he is saying is the free ride is over. A simple Die shrink will not give us that 50% incress in clock speed that we haven been enjoying for years. So Engineers are going to have to invent new tech if they want more gain from now on, as the old tricks are just worn out.

Back