• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lexan or plexi rod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyros

Im building a lexan resevoir out of some 3/8" lexan that I was given. I plan to glue the pieces together but also want to use some dowels for strength. Where can I get some 1/4" lexan or plexi rod at? I figure this will be much easier to use than screws and also look better. Tks.

Pyros

you probably dont need any extra support if you are using 3/8" plexi. I built one with 1/4" plexi, just making 6 sides and then using 5 minute set expoxy to hold the sides together, and marine goop to seal, and it came out very strong.
How big are you making this reservuar?

Its not going to be huge or anything,(the size of 2 cd-rom drives maybe) but it will be at the top of my case so a strong seal and sturdyness is of the up most importance to me. thanks for the help. Pyros :cool:

my res. is 90 x 145 x 135 (mm)
W x H x D
and its like a rock. so i really doubt you'll need any extra support for your 3/8"

ziptieboy said:
The original site is www.mcmaster.com. Then go under Raw Materials, then plastics, then form and BAM! you're there!
Best place to get any raw materials or general hardware. Here's the proper terms to search for.

Lexan = Polycarbonate
Plexi = Acrylic

Polycarbonate is more suited for structural applications since it's load bearing properties are much greater. It's also more receptive to tooling.

Captain Slug said:

Best place to get any raw materials or general hardware. Here's the proper terms to search for.

Lexan = Polycarbonate
Plexi = Acrylic

Polycarbonate is more suited for structural applications since it's load bearing properties are much greater. It's also more receptive to tooling.

Yay! Captain Slug quoted me! I feel so....special in a way...

Sorry,
Scott :)

I went there and priced it. Glad to see its so cheap. Bad thing is I gotta order atleast 8 feet.

Oh, and I need 1/8" not 1/4". Dont know why I said quarter inch. :)

http://www.polymerplastics.com/

Best place to buy plastics ever. Its where I am getting my acrylic panels machined for Fush Zero. Excellent staff too.

Look for cast acrylic if you want optical clarity.

They have everything in every style color ect.

You want those in aqua, bronze or UV? :D

Back