• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA 2011 and PCIe 3.0 CPU's: when?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've read that Intel's x79 is capable of 40 lanes of PCIe 3.0, but that there isn't any CPU's available for LGA 2011 that can do it. Is Intel planning on coming out with such a CPU? Or is LGA 2011 a dead socket already?

PCIe 3.0 works on LGA2011 with Sandy Bridge-E.

The CPUs couldn't be "PCIe 3.0 certified" at the time of release since there were no PCIe 3.0 graphics cards to test compatibility.

What matt referes to, is that sandy bridge E is capable of pcie 3.0, but you need a registry tweak for it to open up the extra bandwidth, because sandy bridge E launched before intel could get 3.0 certification. I'm currently running pcie 3.0 bandwidth on my 3930k / x79 big bang. I can post verifiction once i'm home if you wish (with GPU Z). And its also true what atmin said about no noticable increase. 3d mark 11 went from p15165 at pcie 2.0 to p15365 at pcie 3.0 with 2x gtx 670 4g in SLI for me.

What matt referes to, is that sandy bridge E is capable of pcie 3.0, but you need a registry tweak for it to open up the extra bandwidth, because sandy bridge E launched before intel could get 3.0 certification. I'm currently running pcie 3.0 bandwidth on my 3930k / x79 big bang. I can post verifiction once i'm home if you wish (with GPU Z). And its also true what atmin said about no noticable increase. 3d mark 11 went from p15165 at pcie 2.0 to p15365 at pcie 3.0 with 2x gtx 670 4g in SLI for me.

I wonder if it would make a noticeable difference in tri-fire? On my x79 Extreme one of the PCIe slots runs w/only 8 lanes. Would 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 be equivalent to say 16 lanes of PCIe 1.0 in terms of bandwidth?

Whenever I applied the registry tweak windows would die and would be unable to boot. I had to reinstall. This is on a RIVE so there's no reason for it. Just a heads-up to back your stuff up if you do decide to try the registry approach.

Back