• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LianLi PC-V600 watercooled.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just got my xspc raystorm, swiftech low profile black fittings and 10ft primochill in the mail. the primochill is.. less stellar than other cheap stuff ive used in the past, masterkleer comes to mind but cant beat 10ft for $5 on clearance special at ncix!
one of these days, with my very diverse watercooling experience, i might pick up some tygon lol...

modifying the swiftech for gpu use will simply involve drilling the retention plate for the 5850 pattern. very simple. not sure if ill use the stock backplate or not. if i could adapt it to work with some m3 screws it might work but i think they are m1.5 or somthing rediculous. i do have my lga 775 scythe backing plate i can also modify if need be.

I posted in amd gpus but not sure if the ram on this car needs a heatspreader or not. there was a 2mm thick thermal pad connecting it to the stock cooling frame. im sure that did SOMETHING but would free air around the chipsets be as effective?

I was hoping i had some aluminum around to fabricate a heat spreader but it looks like i do not. though if its needed, i could make heat spreaders pretty easily i should think.

building this up though, first thing that is ditched is stock case screws. im sick and tired of dealing with philips in my computers. all the case stuff that accepts metric screws is getting upgraded to hex cap screws. after enjoying these screws for years in rc, it is a cheap and simple "servicability" upgrade that no one will ever see or care about lol.

Aite so got to work trying to plumb a ghettor out of case setup today but now it won't post. Trying to figure out if I crushed the cpu or damaged the mainboard.
System tries to cycle between both bios's but doesn't display any codes at all on the onboard display.
The lga 1155 bracket had it fitting ReAlly snug so probably put way too much pressure on but just wondering which problem is the likely one.

Heh. 7 volt molex power to fans was problem. Had it with lga775 and forgot. System on bench running 38c apparently

so after the whole 7 volt ground issue, the machine seems to work just great all ghetto'd on the bench. I cut the lines super long so i wouldnt need more line when the case is ready.

20140225_201313_zpssqmpizqa.jpg

the case has had all its rivots drilled so i can paint the raw aluminum bits black. they will all be reassembled with m3 screws and locknuts. Im tempted to paint the exterior of the case white which would contrast nicely with all the black that will be inside the case. of course, you wont see the inside all that much. so not even really sure why im bothering to paint it lol.

20140225_201258_zps0ueyvuht.jpg

ill make a new top plate out of 3/4" this time and delete the dangerden fillport. just ordered the xspc d5 bay res which will match the finish of the case very nicely. ill also need to order some more deans connectors to clean up the wiring for the fans/pump ect. i ghetto'd it with what i had for the time being.

The black primer looked so good I just clear coated it as is. When it cures ill polish it to a high gloss.

Still haven't decided the fate of my case yet. Prob paint the uncoated parts as planned and put it all back together. Trying to paint both sides of perforated metal different colors without bad overspray or masking bleed would be veeeeery difficult. I imagine I could do it but getting enough white into all the holes withough lipping up on tape on the back would be a real *****.
Could peel the tape while the white is wet but very risky.
Black is fine lol. Finish has stood well these years.

heh.
went through my past watercooled pcs on photobucket, some funny and neat pics;

first ever;
wc012.jpg

and then;
wc26.jpg

loop6.jpg

preloop.jpg

CIMG0082.jpg

CIMG0068.jpg

all kinds of crap ive made work lol. Should probably be looking to put the box back together this weekend.

I didnt actually have enough of that paint so had to recoat today with some heavier enamel i use for work. finish came out pretty nice.

still on the fence about painting the outside but i think ill start putting the case back together tonight for test and finish. I might pick up a RX360 from out classifieds which will delay the final build a couple weeks.
no promise that rad will even fit as it would be covering the bottom express slot and all the front usb. i dont use a front panel on this case, the top actually covers the front panel for good reason. ill have to see.
I dont anticipate a problem though. this case is like 8" wide or somthing.

no rc for a couple weeks so ill get her done!

20140306_183745_zpsjmlsokbr.jpg

the other hobby...
20140216_004327_zpsy1veglfs.jpg

Love those hobbies. I got a helicopter than needs repairs. lol I should get on it this year possibly.

rc car racing totally absorbed my hobby life lol. i used to spend money on the computer and was gonna do mods to my real car but was a little afraid of the costs.. however, now, i have no problem with spending $500 on a new chassis every other season lol...
next year id like to go to nationals in the us. canada has its own pretty substantial series i attend but the wife doesn't let me leave town for races =(

a shame.. I finished 12th of 63 in 12th scale this year at our very large event. three of those are roar national champions THAT I KNOW OF. lots of skill in the northwest.

waiting on a box of 100 m3x6 counter sunk and another m3x6 button top hex to come in. also ordered 100 m3 locknuts. this whole computer is going hex.
putting the rails onto the sides its amazing what such a subtle modification can do for things.

20140306_185916_zps0kdja655.jpg

Oh that's great. Yeah we do have a lot of events from those hobbies whether its RC Nitro, Heli, boats and big size scale planes too. I just sit back and watch them in action on the tube. lol

I had planned to replace my psu and maybe get a bigger rad before putting this all back together, but it looks like my wife and I are going to buy some couches and stuff this month.
then any day im expecting the invoice for my turbo manifold and turbo downpipe. the psu im gonna run is on sale for $119 but ill have to sit on my antec for a little while longer.
sooooo barring the screws i was waiting on, i gonna try to put it all back together this weekend.

sniped the xspc blue leds from the raystorm and replaced the stock green/red ones with them. sleeved all the front panel bits and put the case together.

20140308_202609_zpsbsr2wokr.jpg

edit... no i cant.. i need the 60mm screws i ordered... lol..2" ones i was useing before are too short for the extra thickness of the top plate =\

Last edited:
Alright. a very long delay but im finally able to start putting this rig back together.

I had ordered a bunch of fasteners with a friend from a local supplier and they took like 3 weeks to get these special order ones, which he needed, but i guess some lines were crossed and he forgot to order the long m4 ones i wanted for the rad lol..
no bother..
I had already ordered 50 m3xm3 motherboard risers in brass so it worked out that i did.

in my fastener order;
100ea m3 locknuts, chrome
100ea m3x6 Countersunk hex cap screws, zinc coated
100ea m3x8 Countersunk hex cap screws, zinc coated
100ea m3x8 Button hex cap screws, zinc coated
and i had ordered m4x60 hex cap but he didnt get them, got m3x50 hex cap instead..
but whateves. with the motherboard risers and some 1/8 ID vac hose from my garage i was able to fab up groumets to make the short screws work!

in any event, the case is now fully reassembled with hex screws and locknuts. I left the hard drive cage in place for the time being but i could remove it by popping out the screws. My long term plan is to drill holes in the mainboard tray for mounting 2.5" drives but i wont do that until I replace my psu with a proper, modular one and replace my ssd with a samsung. Ill also pick up a 1tb notebook drive for stashing my files on.

Assembled black painted parts.

20140319_194641_zpsmrvw0tui.jpg

Black hex screws are FAR superior to stock Philips

20140319_194625_zpsyrwnldqq.jpg

motherboard risers being used as rad mounts. rad is installed inside case, the black plate sandwiches it to the case and the fans via m3x50 screws.

20140319_222224_zpselotfodf.jpg

Grouments made from vaccum hose. take up the slack from the screws and clamp it all nice and tight.

20140319_222235_zpshqdddiqr.jpg

HwLabs Black ice PRO3 installed in top of lian li PC-V600. new top deletes the dangerden fillport which i will no longer use in palce of the xspc d5 res.

20140319_223148_zpsgcuafres.jpg

More to come.

Starting to plumb it.
Quarters are very tight. But they were before as well.
20140319_234917_zps0uhzaf6q.jpg
20140320_000307_zpsru4oywce.jpg

Bit of an update.
had the machine sitting in the case for a little bit but has some weird issues with stability. i guess i didnt really investigate the uefi too much. each option for overclock has a slider and a button to enable/disable. so i pegged it at 1.35v and its stable now in everything.
so that means when i tried to bin it as per the main page instructions, its simply didnt work cause i tried to do 4.6 with stock voltage lol.

im not used to uefi so noob moment i suppose.

Here is how the temps stand after some aida64. temps didn't change for lke 10 minutes so i figure thats a temperature plateau.
also gpu isn't loaded in this capture. my 5850 runs at 930mhz core and i think with the liquid i could probably go even higher on the vgpu.

made a big difference in finalfantasy 14 for sure. allows me to run very near max detail settings.
temps also rocket back down to 24c on the cores instantly after killing aida so I was worried about being underradded on the i5 but not so much.
high fpi, low flow restriction of the bip3 and shrouded 120x38mm fans ftw.

still to come, replace the psu with a newer, stronger more modular one and replace the ssd with something new.
though the voltages read in aida64 are encouraging. the droop isnt nearly as bad as i was expecting. well within spec.

Attachments

• 20140324_233948_zpsjr9pjhtf.jpg
    20140324_233948_zpsjr9pjhtf.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 4670kraystormbip3.jpg
    4670kraystormbip3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 23
Back