• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Light/good antivirus/firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Zonealarm has always been problems for me for years and any customer i had to deal with who had it installed! I will never touch it ever again

9/10 isn't good when it was %72 total and ranked as "good" anhd many otehrs are 10+

MSE for the av. Privatefirewall for the fw. I don't use av though for someone who may be insecure or wreckless, I'd have to install something.

only thing i dont like about zone alarm, and avg and alot of anti virus/fire wall these days. is that they progressively scan every process running and it slows down any system even my 2500k system was slowed down horribly from AVG (mostly just program loading times). i currently dont run any anti virus, i just run a scan with trend micro's portable scan, and adaware portable, they both update on the flash drive i keep them on for work and dont do anything until i decide to scan next, not that anything ever comes up besides some cookies lol.

Try this?

Guy's how about something made in the USA, i know you all screaming MSE but here in the UK all the top PC Mags recommend BITDEFENDER 2012 as best low profile and best Anti-Virus all around Program it scored the lowest false positives and the highest protection against any kind of Attack.:thup:

I use Comodo internet security, it's free to use, easy to setup, slightly intrusive on the first run (but it learns quickly), and it's easy on the system. I get a false positive on occasion (like the software used to root my phone) but all in all it seems to work extremely well.

I wouldn't use comodo anything. Bit def is great if you want to pay and only if they are either young or simply ignorant would you necessarily even need an av. I figured out how to start clamwin portable from the right click menu, without it ever running in the background, but when it updated, my scripts didn't work any longer (I had one script for files and one for folders:)) and the forum was worthless. I still use it exclusively in windows but only as a portable static ap. In linux I use clamtk but have never really needed it.

Last edited:
Bitdefender is good it even beat ESET which was 2 second and Kaspesky to the punch as that came 3 in line, there was a good free Anti-Virus programme i will try and find the name and come back to you all later.

Last edited:
'Good' can mean a lot of things, ease of use, light on the system but there is also one other way of measuring it and that is by the quality of its zero day definitions. Can it detect the latest zero day malware with least amount of false positive hits.

And we can't quote tests done by magazines who do the tests and then have an advertizement for an anti-virus program on the following page. We did tests here and Norton, Kaspersky, TrendMicro, McAffe, and Avira had the best zero day definitions.

Only one, Avira Antivir was free.

The best confirmation of those results done here at the forums was malware that crept into my own system, real malware, not a false positive, which I stored and then installed all major anti-virus programs to see if they would detect it. Only one freeware, Avira, detected it.

All you need is MSE + Windows Firewall and smart browsing habits plus a couple of extensions for your browser.

I run Chrome with Collusion (blocks sites from tracking me), AdBlock+, NoScript and Ghostery (This one allows me to see a diagram of what sites are trying to track me when I visit another site. It also allows for blocking of said sites).

smart browsing habits don't work anymore with trusted sites being compromised daily!

Also these days using things like no script and such are basically taking you back to HTML 1 days, cause many many sites now use jquery and other tech for their sites to function your basically breaking the internet.

All you need is MSE + and smart browsing habits.

Here's a screen shot after Microsoft did not fix a bug and instead issued a press release talking about how people with smart browsing habits had nothing to worry about:

MicrosoftSafeTrustedHackRafa.jpg

As for Avast, when it comes to definitions, we found Avast to be a notch above Nod32 and AVG, which are themselves near the bottom in comparison to other major anti virus programs.

I totally agree. I don't trust the web at all. I'd say half of the security that protects you is smart habits, the other half involves plugins and software configurations. Last time I encountered a malware in windows my fw caught it.

Shh dont tell anyone but i went back to using norton because comcast gives it to us for free lol.

i must say it runs much better then it used to you cant even tell it installed til there is a alert about something, major improvements since i last used it years ago lol
probably doe to much more power full pcs as well as software refinement.
i would probably buy it now if i wasn't getting it free lol

Yes, it is a much better and lighter product than it used to be. So many people got burned so bad with old versions that they don't even want to think about Norton, but you are correct. Excellent deal if you can get it for free.

All you need is MSE + Windows Firewall and smart browsing habits plus a couple of extensions for your browser.

Yup. I haven't paid for AV in years. I haven't had a virus in probably 10 years. And I sure as hell don't dish out money for "security package" type of software. Nearly every virus gets in because the user let it. They just don't want to admit they were duped. I remove fake antivirus junk from office and friends' computers a few times a year. Every one of them plays dumb. With MSE, you truly set it and forget it. I laugh at people to this day that have to mess around with their AV or firewalls just to get a game to work.

Ultimately, you'll never be ahead of the game. The virus folks will be 2 steps ahead of the antivirus. This is why I prefer software that isn't annoying and uses less resources. Hence, why MSE wins.

Yes, it is a much better and lighter product than it used to be. So many people got burned so bad with old versions that they don't even want to think about Norton, but you are correct. Excellent deal if you can get it for free.

But when Norton, well Symantec cant even protect it's own networks and code base to the point it told business to stop using it's product, that is pretty bad!

Back