• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lightest OS for me Old Laptop :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi Guys

I just dusted off my SONY VIAO ultrabook, w/ crusoe 800mhz and 256MB ram and all its crappyness :p

but it's got XP running on it right now, not as smooth as i want it to be but ehh, atleast..

i also plan to build a few atom desktops for another lightweight purpose..

anywho im wondering what's the lightest but most WINDOWS LIKE (if *nix is the suggestion) OS that i could use for this purpose?

I was gona put Ubuntu on it, but then realized that it had quite a big requirement, evn bigger than XP .. while there are lighter ubuntu distros.. w/c one would be cool?

or should i just stick w/ XP?

i also thought windows 7 would be faster on netbooks and low spec units, but judging by the minimum spec requirements, XP seems to be ligther still..
hmmm

any suggestions guys?

Try Lubuntu, its a really light version of Ubuntu, it should work fine on that config.
It's not much Windows-like, like all the Ubuntu's, but if you are ok with Ubuntu, than Lubuntu is a good choise.
Other more Windows-like suggestion would be the Windows98 (SE or whatever), but in my opinion its very old and lacks compatibility with modern stuff (programs, usb, internet connectivity) and Lubuntu is a better choise.
There are also other GNU/Linux distributions that claimed to be light weight like Puppy-Linux and Antix, but I like them less because they are not from the Ubuntu-family and therefore have a much less wide-spread community (forums and such) support.

@Gabi
thanks a bunch man.. for a newbie 1 star member of the oc forums, you were quite helpful to a bit of an OCForum veteran like me :) so thanks.. much appreciated.. i did see/know already of the different ubuntu flavors but i needed feedback.. so now i will definitely look into lubuntu...

@ALL
any other suggestions?

You're welcome!
I've been into Linux for some time, not a pro but got some little experience.

Windows 8 won't install on anything lower than 1GHz. Also on 256MB of RAM... I don't think its enough. 1GB is ok, 512MB starts to be pretty unpleasant -- I'm talking about Win7 here, but I assume Win8 to be similar.

LOL at that Windows 8 suggestion..
read so much about windows 8 and tried it myself.. i hate that OS ..lolz. but that's for another thread..

aite linux it is for sure, but what flavor?

whatever happend to LINDOWS? never matured?

Back