• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

limbo time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Usually, we're infatuated by how fast we can go.

But, what about the underclockers and undervolters?

Limbo time! How low can you go?

7920X underclock 543.jpg

I'm getting these random glitches with CPU-Z. I might have figured out why. CPU-Z has been reporting that I have 32 GB of RAM. I believed them because I put in 4 sticks of 8GB. I found out last night the BIOS and Windows both say 24GB. I run memtest86 (finally found the new version) and it checks 24 GB and found no errors. I start pulling RAM out and putting them back in. By trial and error I have determined if any of the RAM modules are in the A1 DIMM slot, the BIOS won't see it (but, CPU-Z does). So, looks like one slot is dead or partly disabled. I looked at it with a magnifying glass and didn't notice any obviousd damage to the pins. I was able to find a combination that will run triple channel memory (never knew that was possible).

Triuple Channel Memory.jpg

Woomack, I need you. I don't want to pull the motherboard out and RMA it (at least not yet). I'm hoping to find a way to run quad channel.

I know it worked at some point. I probably messed something up by manhandling it.

Use spray contact cleaner and blast each slot plus the 'gold' fingers on your sticks. You can even moisten a soft, thin cloth with contact cleaner then use something thin (I use the pointed end of a shishkabob stick) to press the moist cloth into the slots and give them a thorough cleaning.

Hopefully the slot and stick themselves are fine.

I'll certainly try that, but this board is only a couple months old, hopefully not enough time for corrosion.

You get less RAM because board is shutting down channels that generate errors. Use training mode ( bottom of the memory timings list ) on all channels to fix that or bump voltages ( can play with channel additional voltages/termination voltage in tweaking paradise tab ). I get that at 4000+ when I leave everything at auto. After manual changes I'm able to run stable up to 4200. 4233+ is randomly losing 1-2 channels. Remember that board is retraining all channels after each start so even if something works when you set it then it may not work after you shut down PC and start it again. If it works each time then you can call it stable.

I have enhanced training enabled for all 4 channels already. I'll bump voltage a little more.

EDIT: I bumped up the voltage and did some normal stuff instead of pushing the limits on a benchmark. I'm not holding my breath that the BIOS will suddenly start seeing my other 8GB. CPU-Z still says 32GB quad channel.

Last edited:
100bclk x 12 1200mhz
0.832vcore

Uuh, not exactly 500mHz like OP, but voltages are good. Bclock won't go below 100 and that's as low as I can set voltage and multi. I accidentally almost rebooted with 500 bclock when I kept clicking "-" key. If no mobo protection, probably loud pop and red charcoal sizzle.

Can't add pic, how..?

Ahaa! Thank you, I totally forgot desktop version might be an answer. I'm on mobile and couldn't find anything even in advanced

Back