• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfox

For those of you new to Linux it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with all the different versions, aka "Distros" in Linux, which you can find at Distrowatch

For those who don't wish to read any further, if you consider yourself to be the average computer user, looking for the simplest and best approach to Linux computing, you will most likely want one of the Top Five Distros on Distrowatch. These are also listed below.

As we begin here, remember one thing, you can't always get away from learning completely, even with the simplest of Linux distros there is still a learning curve. You're going to run across problems because software isn't perfect, and you will need some basic knowledge, and the better you equip yourself, the easier the ride is going to be.

If you're not sure about your hardware, and the software support you need with the ease of use, again pick one of the top five distros listed on Distrowatch. They are the top picks simply because they support the widest range of hardware and software no matter what your needs are.

If you don't read on be forewarned, because you're going to miss out on some cool stuff, condensed right here to help you out with making life easier in the Linux world!

For those that really want answers, please dig on!

Now to really begin, I'm not here to tell you one is better then the other, because the truth is there are many great distros, and that is why I said it is best to familiarize yourself to all the different versions, then make the choice for yourself, rather than someone else telling you which one is the best.

The world of Linux is about "Choice".

Let's talk about a few areas of Linux.

Desktops

In all Linux distros there are many different desktops out there to choose from, but Gnome, KDE, and Xfce are the most popular.

Gnome
KDE
Xfce

Window Managers

Next we have what are called Window Managers. In plain terms this means something that "Manages Windows". Gnome, KDE, and many of the other desktops have their own defaults, but these can be replaced by other window managers to give a totally new look, feel, and functionality. Many window managers can also be run by themselves as a "Stand Alone" desktop.

What does all of this mean regarding desktops, and window managers? It's called productivity, and the ways in which you want to handle your tasks. All of these choices will help you to bring out, find your best efficiency.

Here is some Information on Wikipedia about X Window Managers.

There are several window managers out there, AfterStep, Blackbox, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, FVWM, Openbox, and Window Maker. These are only a few of the more popular ones.

AfterStep
Blackbox
Enlightenment
Fluxbox
FVWM
Openbox
Window Maker

OpenGL Acceleration

Windows management in Linux has never looked better since OpenGL acceleration came along. This provides different ways, and looks in managing these windows with new enhancements, and visual effects. Beryl, Compiz, and XGL provide Linux this new direction in window management. Here you can watch Videos of Beryl, Compiz, & XGL in action.

Listing of Desktops and Window Managers

Xwinman is the most complete list of desktops, and window managers for Linux.

Package Formats

Moving on now to the area of packages. Linux distros all incorporate their own ways of managing packages. Besides the basic functions of installs, updates, and removal, these programs can also handle other tasks dealing with packages. Some of these programs are more varied then others depending on the developers intentions, flexibility, and the ease of use intended. These programs are known as "Package Managers".

These are a few of the more common types of extensions one will find with all the different versions for package management, along with various spin offs from these.

.rpm (originally Redhat Package Management) .deb (Debian GNU/Linux package manager) .tgz .tar .tar.gz (Tarball Files).

Here Are Some Popular Package Managers

Apt-Get
KPackage
Portage
Rpmdrake and URPMI
Synaptic Package Manager
YaST
YaST2
Yum
Yumex (Yum Extender)

Package Management

Package management in each Linux distro allows you the flexibility to work with the packages to a degree, and some more then others. How flexible you want to be is up to you, the system you choose, and what your needs are. Just because a certain Linux distro comes with it's own default package manager doesn't mean you can't install another one to meet your needs better, but this isn't typically done. Some Linux distros actually incorporate a few package managers to work with, or their default manager will run from either a GUI (Graphical User Interface), or a command terminal, where you can type commands, both allowing you different levels of flexibility, by the choices you need.

So what does all of this package management really mean, and how is it really going to help me? Quite simply put, it just means, "Management". What you really have to ask yourself here is, what kind of management would you really like to have?

Here's A Look At The Most Common Command Terminals

Konsole
Gnome Terminal
Xterm

Runlevels

Moving on to another subject, Linux like Windows during the start up, and shutdown goes through what are known as runlevels. Different functions of the startup, or shutdown processes are accessed, known in Windows as, Normal, Safe-mode and Command prompt only, etc. In Linux these are known as the User Modes, different ways in which to access the system. Besides the different modes in Linux, Services, and Daemons also come into play in these runlevels, basically in the same way as Windows does. The advantage Linux runlevels have over Windows’ boot modes is that Linux runlevels can be changed on the fly.

Here Is Some Information On Runlevels, Services, And Daemons

Daemons
Linux Services, Devices, and Daemons

The runlevels most Linux distributions make use of are either the, "System V" init style, or the "BSD" init style, or a slight variation of them.

Runlevel Init Information

Init Runlevels

What this runlevel system means to you is the flexibility to change the way in which a part of Linux behaves, runs for you, and how you manage certain parts of it. No matter what you use Linux for, this is an important aspect of system administration, helping you to manage, and customize Linux to your needs.

Runlevel Information

Run levels on Wikipedia
Run levels on Linux.com

What Separates Linux

With everything that has been mentioned so far, basically what separates most Linux distros is package management, runlevel operations, and various tools for system management.

Linux Is Linux

Now putting the tech talk aside, Linux means not only choices, but Linux is also about personal tastes. Yes Linux is your own personal tastes, and that is another great quality of Linux, the ability to make it your own. That is why it's generally never wise to decide based on someone's own belief. After all we all have our own likes, and dislikes, and that is what makes Linux so attractive. There is enough out there to satisfy the needs of everyone.

I touched on a few of the major differences, but there are even more. There are many cool things each one has to offer, but when it gets right down to it, no matter what all the differences are, "Linux is Linux", and you just have to decide what works for you.

Linux Is For Me

Now if you're really saying here at this point in time that this is for you, and you consider yourself to be a power user, or quite an enthusiast, then the sky's the limit, but go slow, or you might frustrate yourself with some of the more hands on distros that require more user intervention, setting up, tuning, and tweaking.

Power Users

For the power user, or enthusiast that wants to jump right in, start in this order, then go from there based off the Distrowatch Ranking list.

Debian
Slackware
Gentoo

Linux Is From Unix

Linux is a Unix based operating system, and if want to start out using the purest form of this, then start out with Slackware.

Falling On Your Face

If you find yourself, after trying any of these distros falling flat on your face in disgust, then don't worry, we've all been there. Go back to the "Top Five" picks, and get comfortable with one of them for awhile. Once you've gotten comfortable, and somewhat use to this new world, then try your luck again. Don't give up, because if you think Linux is your thing, then go for it, and have fun, but if the learning is going to be in frustration, then the journey is going to be even more painful. Just remember a good attitude learns more.

Once you've made a go of it with Debian, Slackware, and Gentoo, then after Gentoo just have at. Go where you want to go next, and have fun, but remember go slow. Linux has a lot to offer, but there is also a lot to learn.

Hardcore Power Users

For the hardcore that wants to learn it all, and do it all, and really take the leap off the deep end, this is the direction for you. Linux From Scratch (LFS)

Windows/Linux Comparisons

For those that would like to read a comparison of Linux, and Windows, Wikipedia provides some excellent information.

Comparison of Windows and Linux

Here is a comparison of Windows programs with their equal counterparts for Linux to help you with your transition.

Alternatives to Windows software
Equivalent Windows applications
Linux software equivalent to Windows software

Programs To Help You Run Windows Applications And Games In Linux

CodeWeavers CrossOver Linux
Transgaming
TransGaming.Org Games Database
Wine HQ

Here Are A Few Linux Sites With A Wealth Of Information To Help Point You On Your New Way

GNU.org
JustLinux
Kernel.org
Learning Linux.com
Linux.com
Linux Online
Linux Format
Linuxhelp
Linux HQ
Linux Journal Magazine
Linux on Laptops
Linux Magazine
Linux Planet
Linux for Playstation 2
LinuxPrinting
LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxSecurity.com
Linux Slashdot
Linux Today
Linux USB
LinuxWorld
LWN
Newsforge
The Linux Documentation Project
Xbox Linux

IRC Support

Down the road awhile, and after all the reading, and brain absorbing, you still find you need help, and trust me you will, then the absolute best way to get support is live, in real time one on one with someone, or phone support, but when you can't find someone, or afford someone, then nothing beats the free help you can find on IRC (Internet Relay Chat). You'll want to join Freenode. On freenode's site is a list for the servers to join, but the most commonly used one in North America is, irc.freenode.net.

With no disrespect for forums such as Overclockers.com, they do have their place, and are quite popular when you can't find, or afford someone, or make the time for IRC, but when you can, nothing beats the help, and experience to be found on IRC to ease you through the learning curve of Linux, which can get steep at times.

Freenode is the largest OpenSource IRC server in the world. Here you will find the help you seek.

Xchat is the tool of choice for IRC, and the most popular GUI (Graphical User Interface), IRC client that you can use. Most Linux distros either come with Xchat installed, or available to install.

IMPORTANT
There are 100 distros listed on Distrowatch. Not all are listed here, so use it as your guide, first starting at the top, and then going from there as I have outlined in this post.

Here's a summary of what you've just learned. You're going to pick a distro, it will have it's choices of desktops, or window managers to use, package managers, runlevels, and other various tools I didn't touch on, and overall a look, feel, and functionality that you'll either love, or hate. In the end you'll find that what you're comfortable with is what you're going to stick with, and the key here is, "YOU", what you find that suits your needs, and no one else's. Through trial and error you'll find the best Linux distro, the one you like, not someone else. Everyone will have their own ideas of what's best, and you need to figure out yours, why because like I mentioned earlier, "Linux is Linux", it's a personal choice.

Now to stretch your brain a little further. When you're out there learning, and reading, learn what the name Linux really means, because Linux is the kernel, not the complete operating system as some people believe.

Now go have fun, go play, and go learn, because Linux is fun! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your wonderful post! Sticky! Sticky! Excellent information and my hat goes off to you for the time you took to type all that up.
I notice your progression of more advanced distros, namely Debian, Slack, Gentoo....this is exactly how I progressed through them, with varying degrees of success, until I found Arch, (the somewhat overlooked distro) which is perfect for me.
Again, a terrific post and wonderful information.

Splodge

Could you tidy it up a little and maybe add some headings and such to make it a little easier to read? Cheers.

i just posted this in another thread, but I thought some of these links might be usefull here too.

myself said:
you can start wiht this sticky that was created yesterday.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494429

If you are interested in learning all about building your own Linux distro from scratch, you can try www.linuxfromscratch.org.

and then there is O'Reilly.com, that has a great Linux Dev Center page
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/

and then there is Linux.org that has a lot of documentation, and I believe somewhere on that site I have seen a "Teaching Linux" or "Learning Linux" that was set up as lessons:
http://www.linux.org/docs/

*edit: http://www.linux.org/lessons/ there are those lessons I was talking about, wasn't so hard to find as I thought.

otherwise, I think you've got a good sticky post here, and I agree with David, it would be great if you could go thru and do some formatting to make it easier to browse (like headings, bold text, bullets, etc)

Ok maybe it has to do with this grey/black background in the forum, let me edit it a tad. :D

Ok done, hope you all like this now. ;)

Last edited:
This is a very good post, thank you! I just jumped into the linux world a few weeks ago, and I'm still trying to find my bearings a bit, so far its a lot of fun but confusing at times, nice to have a ton of info all in one spot, bookmarked!

Unstuck - 3 years out of date. This is a great thread, if anyone wants to update and maintain it, please do so and we can restick it. Post here if you disagree.

Back