• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Coolant expiration date

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sembo

Registered
Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing good. I will get straight to the point...

I have been using the Thermaltake's Big Water 760 Plus Liquid Cooling system for over 3 years now. I am quite happy with it. The other day i purchased a new coolant (The official one from Thermaltake from Amazon) but the problem is that it has expired since 2013, at least i think so. On the bottle it has two dates...2011.08.16 and 2013.08.15.

So my question is, can i use it anyways without any problems regarding the temps, hardware etc or should i buy another one? I do not want to put my entire build at risk for this. If someone has any advice or is familiar with this situation and can help i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for your time reading this.
Cheers

I would just use pure distilled with a biocide or kill coil and call it a day.

I would just use pure distilled with a biocide or kill coil and call it a day.
This.

No idea what is in that would 'expire' but that date, I would think, is there for a reason. Save money and just use distilled and a biocide/silver kill coil... DONE.

Umm it's Thermaltake bigwater. It has an aluminum rad I bet.

So he needs the liquid. He should call the place he bought it from and get the unexpired stuff.

Don't want a stink beer face watercooling setup.

Last I checked Tt BW was sealed?

EDIT: Disregard... that is the Bigwater 1/2/3.0, not his kit.

Excellent catch as usual Conum! :)

Umm it's Thermaltake bigwater. It has an aluminum rad I bet.

So he needs the liquid. He should call the place he bought it from and get the unexpired stuff.

Don't want a stink beer face watercooling setup.

My thoughts exactly. They're known of having aluminum rads and so the liquid that comes with it has the inhibitors needed.

Good catch there Conumdrum, I had forgotten about that.

Uhmm i see! First of all, i thank you one by one for your speedy answers!

The following might be a little bit off topic...

Now, another problem occured. Since i live in Greece, i contacted all the suppliers available and they said to me since we are in deep economical crysis (and due to the capital control) they stopped importing some pc parts and consumables and one of those are liquid coolants. So now i am kinda sad. They also said that since nobody bought that kind of stuff they will restart importing liquid coolants hopefully in 2016...and i cannot wait until 2016!!!

So i was thinking of replacing the actual liquid system with another one. I thought of Corsair, but i do not know much of it. A friend of mine has one installed and is happy with it. I took a quick look at their website and my eye caught the H100i GTX liquid system. Anyone has it or is able to provide more accurate information on this? Also, if you have any other advice on how to solve this whole problem please feel free.

My current system is:

CPU: i5-2500K OC @4.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 970 4GB ASUS Strix
RAM: 16GB Kingston Genesis
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
Cooler: Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus
PSU: Thermaltake 750W
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos

Last edited:
Back