• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooled Rampage III, Intel 980-X, New Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok thanks. I think I will buy the Dremel 4000 just in case (can also use on RC airplanes once I get back into that).

As for water cooling, and building PC's in general, I have little experience (not none). Just that things have changed since 10 years ago.

I will say that I have confidence in my abilities, and thanks to the help of forums like this, have a plan for the layout. It really is not as hard as it seems (just costly of course!). Thanks to the many smart brains out there.

The 360 rad will be on top. the 240 on the bottom of course. Will mod the case to eliminate the bottom drive bays. Use the layoout of the Rad grillz template to mark and cut. put the fans on top of the radiator to draw air in.

Defex just dropped off the primochill tubing, and a package from mountainmods with various bitspower fittings.

I have some questions:
On the Apogee XT, what backplate do I use (2 were included) for the Rampage 3 (smaller or larger one)?

I plan on connecting the upper 3 and lower 2 radiatior fans (120 mm coolermaster) to the fan controller. Thats not an issue foor me. My question is, where do the 3 140 mm case fans connect to on the mother board or power or what (dont plan on connecting to fan controller)? Trust me I feel stupid asking these questions here but this is why I made this forum for such stupid questions.

As for the cutting disc... get the dremel brand reinforced cutoff wheels. they cut cases like butter and last a while. Save them as they get smaller and you can use them for tighter places later down the road.

Ok thanks. I think I will buy the Dremel 4000 just in case (can also use on RC airplanes once I get back into that).

As for water cooling, and building PC's in general, I have little experience (not none). Just that things have changed since 10 years ago.

I will say that I have confidence in my abilities, and thanks to the help of forums like this, have a plan for the layout. It really is not as hard as it seems (just costly of course!). Thanks to the many smart brains out there.

The 360 rad will be on top. the 240 on the bottom of course. Will mod the case to eliminate the bottom drive bays. Use the layoout of the Rad grillz template to mark and cut. put the fans on top of the radiator to draw air in.

Defex just dropped off the primochill tubing, and a package from mountainmods with various bitspower fittings.

I have some questions:
On the Apogee XT, what backplate do I use (2 were included) for the Rampage 3 (smaller or larger one)?

I plan on connecting the upper 3 and lower 2 radiatior fans (120 mm coolermaster) to the fan controller. Thats not an issue foor me. My question is, where do the 3 140 mm case fans connect to on the mother board or power or what (dont plan on connecting to fan controller)? Trust me I feel stupid asking these questions here but this is why I made this forum for such stupid questions.

Read the book for the R3E, it shows you where the "CASE fan" hook ups are on the board. there is 3 case fans spots and 2 Optional spots....or vise versa, cant remember without going home and looking at the book/board.

And there is no stupid questions....just the occasional inquisitive idiot.:p (dont worry, all of your questions have been good ones.)

fa sho. I found 1 3 pin adaptor on the MB, looks like thats where the Corsair Airflow fan for the memory will go though. Thanks

fa sho. I found 1 3 pin adaptor on the MB, looks like thats where the Corsair Airflow fan for the memory will go though. Thanks

there is two up by the CPU, one labled as such(above the CPU) the other labeled OPT or CHA (on the other side of the chipset heatsink by the IO panel)...two by the memory one in the upper corner and one on the back right near the middle of the ram slot (not sure which one you found) and i think one or two along the bottem near the PCI E slots.

have you considered a 120.4 in the top of your case? you'll have to cut out the slot for it, but it'll be fun! Also, for your fans, make sure they're not sleeve bearing for the ones you're using on top because of their orientation.

oh, and i just noticed your fan controller, that one's ok, but have you looked at the lamptrons? They've got great watts/channel and look :thup:

Aright I dont know if this is the right forum to ask these qusetions but I coud use some help (really bad lol):

Rampage III Extreme:

1. When hooking up the motherboard to my case, I attach the 24 pin connecor. It aso seems that I have to connect (2) 8-pin connectors? And is it necessary to connect (2) 4 pin connectors as we to the MB? Only running 1 graphics card.

2. The Graphics card (GTX 470) will insert into PCI Express x 16 slot (number 1 - closest to the processor)? And then if I SLI ater on the I insert the other into PCI Express slot # 3?

4. The big question. I have an OZ Agility 2 SSD, as well as (1) WD Veociraptor (newest edition 6 GB/S). So when connecting to the SATA connectors, which ones should I connect to? I was thinking connecting the Velociraptor to the Marvell Connector (6 GB/S, 2 connectors avaiable). What about the SSD card and the Blue ray burner? Do I connect the SSD into the remaining Marvell connector or does the SSD and the connect to the ICHR10R Serial ATA connectors (6 available). What about the JMicron connector (1 available).

Thanks, need help (even if they sound stupid to u pros)!

1. When hooking up the motherboard to my case, I attach the 24 pin connecor. It aso seems that I have to connect (2) 8-pin connectors? And is it necessary to connect (2) 4 pin connectors as we to the MB? Only running 1 graphics card.

I've never heard of that many connectors, there should be a 20+4, the reason that comes to mind is that you have a board capable of running so many fans, if you have enough headers, no reason not to connect them all, if not, check the documentation and see what each one is for and hookup the appropriate ones (or, if you're feeling thorough, just go ahead and read.)

2. The Graphics card (GTX 470) will insert into PCI Express x 16 slot (number 1 - closest to the processor)? And then if I SLI ater on the I insert the other into PCI Express slot # 3?

newegg says
Code:
PCI Express 2.0 x16	4 x PCI Express 2.0 x16

(support x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x8 and x8/x8/x8/x8 configurations)

for true (16x) 3/4 way SLI, you'll need something with dual n200's, now, that said, you probably don't plan on going 3 way SLI any time soon, and, looking at the board, it seems like they just assume that the first slot is gonna be a dual slot card, so the second one SHOULD be the other 16x one (might as well check the documentation on this one too).

4. The big question. I have an OZ Agility 2 SSD, as well as (1) WD Veociraptor (newest edition 6 GB/S). So when connecting to the SATA connectors, which ones should I connect to? I was thinking connecting the Velociraptor to the Marvell Connector (6 GB/S, 2 connectors avaiable). What about the SSD card and the Blue ray burner? Do I connect the SSD into the remaining Marvell connector or does the SSD and the connect to the ICHR10R Serial ATA connectors (6 available). What about the JMicron connector (1 available).

The route I would take, personally, is to get a raid controller for the ssd's. SSD's can saturate the 3gb/s controllers iirc, whereas traditional hard drives cannot (not sure on that new one though, sorry :S). Basically, hook EVERYTHING to 6gb/s connections for optimum win. Barring this, go with the ssd's on the 2 6gb/s channels and the VR on the 3gb/s (as for the JMicron connector, I'm not familiar with it...if someone else knows what it is, go with them, I do know jmicron makes controllers for ssd's, if that helps)

Never be ashamed to ask questions, the people here who know their stuff didn't just magically learn it, we're all here to learn and share knowledge. the only stupid question is one not asked (and the next one ANYONE asks about the H50...:bang head:)

Right on for always responding to my questions. Appreciate it! I will try the SSD and the WD to the 6/GBs connectors, then the Blue Ray drive to the ICHR (3gb/s) connectors.

I have more lol:

5.On the Apogee XT, which backplate do I use for my MB (Rampage III)? The larger one, or smaller one with the notch?

6. The Swiftech MCP350 (I have 2 of them for dual loop system) has a power cable and a blue 3 pin RPM sensor. Can I plug this into any fan connector on the MB not in use? I only plan on connecting my 3 case fans (Obsidian 800D) to the MB. The 5 radiator fans (120x3 upper, 120x2 lower) will connect to my Kaze fan controller (can connect up to 6 fans). If they do connect to the MB, the MB has 4-pin connectors for the fans and this is only 3 (I always thought that the 4th pin was for reading the RPM's)? Also where does the power connector go (MB or PSU connectors)?

7. Continuing, If i connect the fans to the fan controller, then I dont need theses adaptors the fans come with right (It has a male/female smal power? cord, and a onger female adaptor (smaller) that pugs into the fan - male adaptor itself).

Right on for always responding to my questions. Appreciate it! I will try the SSD and the WD to the 6/GBs connectors, then the Blue Ray drive to the ICHR (3gb/s) connectors.

I have more lol:

5.On the Apogee XT, which backplate do I use for my MB (Rampage III)? The larger one, or smaller one with the notch?

There should only be one that fits the board, it's the 1366 standard socket...afaik at least, don't own one myself...I know Conumdrum has the XT, so I'll defer to him (or anyone else for that matter) if they both fit. But just check, there should be 4 holes in the board and 4 holes in each backplate, pick the one that has the holes that line-up (pro-tip:put something through, I've used a chopstick or a screwdriver, the board so that you can lineup one hole and then rotate it and check the rest from the back)

6. The Swiftech MCP350 (I have 2 of them for dual loop system) has a power cable and a blue 3 pin RPM sensor. Can I plug this into any fan connector on the MB not in use? I only plan on connecting my 3 case fans (Obsidian 800D) to the MB. The 5 radiator fans (120x3 upper, 120x2 lower) will connect to my Kaze fan controller (can connect up to 6 fans). If they do connect to the MB, the MB has 4-pin connectors for the fans and this is only 3 (I always thought that the 4th pin was for reading the RPM's)? Also where does the power connector go (MB or PSU connectors)?

Well, you never want to turn your pumps down below full voltage, so definitely not the FC. Its max draw is listed at 12W (1a at 12v, more accurately), so you should be fine connecting it to your mobo, I don't see a listed wattage per fan channel. i've heard of a bunch of people connecting pumps to the cpu fan header, and the warning there is to make sure that the cpu fan is set to run at full all the time no matter what.

7. Continuing, If i connect the fans to the fan controller, then I dont need theses adaptors the fans come with right (It has a male/female smal power? cord, and a onger female adaptor (smaller) that pugs into the fan - male adaptor itself).

I presume you're talking about these:
molex_extension.jpg

if so, the 3 pin connectors will supply the fans power (there should be 3 pin connectors on the FC), don't worry about hooking up the molex connectors.

Bring on another round!!!

haha chopsticks. Hella asian JP.

Still confused on question 6 about the pumps. They include a molex (i guess thats the name) connector with 2 prongs inside. This will conect to a female molex connector from the PSU? And then it has the 3-pin connector, according to the instructions "designed to connect to a motherboard fan header and to reort the impeller rotational speed." Therefore it just reports the info, but the user cannot change the speed or is that possible? Therefore as well just connect to any fan header on the on the MB? Then like I was wondering, cus my headers on the MB are 4 pin, the fans have only3 pins, and the swiftech pump only includes 3 pins (I always thought the 4th pin was for reporting RPM's)?

Also, without testing the fans ( I have a PSU tester but everything aint hooked up yet - will use later to test H20 system), is there a way that I can tell what way the fan will spin (blow air in/out) when powered on so that I can orient them correctly when attaching to the case and or radiators?

Thanks yo :)

haha chopsticks. Hella asian JP.

They weren't mine :D

Still confused on question 6 about the pumps. They include a molex (i guess thats the name) connector with 2 prongs inside. This will conect to a female molex connector from the PSU?

yes

And then it has the 3-pin connector, according to the instructions "designed to connect to a motherboard fan header and to reort the impeller rotational speed." Therefore it just reports the info, but the user cannot change the speed or is that possible?

no, there is software control of the fanspeed (via the voltage that the hardware puts out) on every level from the bios to applications you can download and install

Therefore as well just connect to any fan header on the on the MB?

if you want to monitor the pump rpms, then hook it to the mobo, if not, no reason to. some mobo's won't boot without a fan connected to the mobo fan header

Then like I was wondering, cus my headers on the MB are 4 pin, the fans have only3 pins, and the swiftech pump only includes 3 pins (I always thought the 4th pin was for reporting RPM's)?

4th pin is optional, its for PWM fans (used to report the duty cycle, if you care). The 4 pin connections are setup with a knotch so that you can connect the 3-pinners right.

Also, without testing the fans ( I have a PSU tester but everything aint hooked up yet - will use later to test H20 system), is there a way that I can tell what way the fan will spin (blow air in/out) when powered on so that I can orient them correctly when attaching to the case and or radiators?

there should be arrows on one of the corners with arrows pointing...otherwise, you can sorta kinda deduce it, but there's no reason to not just hook one up, and figure out which way it blows, the rest will be the same (i want to say that blades typically look concave from the push side, but...that could be wrong...)
Thanks yo :)

Whatever it takes to boost my post count ;) :clap: :comp:

Aright I dont know if this is the right forum to ask these qusetions but I coud use some help (really bad lol):

Rampage III Extreme:

Sorry for the delayed response. I would do the SSD to the 6gb, the raptor to the normal sata 3gb(the raptor isnt going to get close to the 3gb and you will get a touch more performance out of the SSD on the 6gb) or you can plug them both into the 6gb. And plug your blue ray burner onto the 3gb sata port that sticks up perpendicular to the rest of the board on the lower right hand corner of the board( that is the boot sata, IE if you have a boot disc in it it will boot off that instead of OS).

Also those extra two 6 pin slots up by the CPU are for giving more power to the CPU if your going to overclock so your board doesnt get as stressed.

The two 4 pin molex slots (one above the PCIE slots and one below(the bottem one comes with a cover on it)) are for giving extra power to your PCIE slots, but not 100% sure how that works or if that makes it so you dont need a n200 chip etc...

wow thanks guys. There are arrows on the fans, small but there! So I will attach the pumps to the MB, just stay away from the CPU fan header (unless like u said make sure the RPM is not set low- too complicated for me at this point). Then I will attach the 3 case fans (140) to the MB. At this point it looks like each fan, like I said earlier, has 2 molex connectors (one male and 1 female). This is for the power right? But why 1 female and 1 male (to add additional fans I am assuming without using to many molex connectors on the PSU)? If this is so, How many can be connected together? Remember, my other fans (120 x 5 for the radiators will be attached and powered by the fan controller, also to house temp sensor from the t-blocks behind reservoirs).

Also, mrgettman, should I just attach the extra 6 pin connectors to the MB (fom PSU right?) and also the two 4 pin molex slots (also from PSU right)? Or just wait on that untill I Overclock later on.

Also, What slot should I connect the sound card into. Its a Creative Fata1ty Titanium. The instructinons for it just say connect it to "the" PCIe slot, not specific. I beleive the GTX 470 goes into the 1st PCI express-16x slot (there are 4 of them - longer slots). There is also a slot (smaller slot) That is just called PCI, as well as 1 PCIe x 4 slot. Which one does it go?

Also those extra two 6 pin slots up by the CPU are for giving more power to the CPU if your going to overclock so your board doesnt get as stressed.

The two 4 pin molex slots (one above the PCIE slots and one below(the bottem one comes with a cover on it)) are for giving extra power to your PCIE slots, but not 100% sure how that works or if that makes it so you dont need a n200 chip etc...

oh, i know those, I didn't get it till now. Those are for "extra power stability" or something of that nature, no reason not to connect them if you have the leads for it, though the pcie slot only supplies 75w by default, i think that boosts the max it can supply, so if you overdraw a little (which will never happen) it won't crash...basically they're good for rail distribution and redundancy

wow thanks guys. There are arrows on the fans, small but there! So I will attach the pumps to the MB, just stay away from the CPU fan header (unless like u said make sure the RPM is not set low- too complicated for me at this point). Then I will attach the 3 case fans (140) to the MB. At this point it looks like each fan, like I said earlier, has 2 molex connectors (one male and 1 female). This is for the power right? But why 1 female and 1 male (to add additional fans I am assuming without using to many molex connectors on the PSU)? If this is so, How many can be connected together? Remember, my other fans (120 x 5 for the radiators will be attached and powered by the fan controller, also to house temp sensor from the t-blocks behind reservoirs).

Average MB fan connectors can handle around 1 amp, so it depends current draw on the fans you are using. Some headers can handle up to 2 amps, but my MB ones are not ones I am wanting to test that on.

Also, mrgettman, should I just attach the extra 6 pin connectors to the MB (fom PSU right?) and also the two 4 pin molex slots (also from PSU right)? Or just wait on that untill I Overclock later on.

If you hook them up now you dont have to worry about routing cables and pluging them in later, only one I didnt plug in was the lower 4 pin power...just left that one covered.

Also, What slot should I connect the sound card into. Its a Creative Fata1ty Titanium. The instructinons for it just say connect it to "the" PCIe slot, not specific. I beleive the GTX 470 goes into the 1st PCI express-16x slot (there are 4 of them - longer slots). There is also a slot (smaller slot) That is just called PCI, as well as 1 PCIe x 4 slot. Which one does it go?

you could try the smaller one(PCIe x4), it should work, no reason why it shouldnt, if not plugging it into any of the bigger ones should work.

Last edited:
wow thanks guys. There are arrows on the fans, small but there! So I will attach the pumps to the MB, just stay away from the CPU fan header (unless like u said make sure the RPM is not set low- too complicated for me at this point).

just be aware if you get a "No CPU Fan connected-esque message that you need to hook SOMETHING to that, doesn't really matter what, long as everything's working you won't damage any components by just hooking a case fan to it.

Then I will attach the 3 case fans (140) to the MB. At this point it looks like each fan, like I said earlier, has 2 molex connectors (one male and 1 female). This is for the power right? But why 1 female and 1 male (to add additional fans I am assuming without using to many molex connectors on the PSU)?

that's correct, but you don't need to connect the molex connectors if you're using the motherboard connections because, as gettmann said, mobo fan headers supply power.

If this is so, How many can be connected together? as many as you want. I'm running every fan on my antec 1200 (all 6 of em) on 1 molex. You don't really have to worry about it until you start getting into higher end fans.

Remember, my other fans (120 x 5 for the radiators will be attached and powered by the fan controller, also to house temp sensor from the t-blocks behind reservoirs).

You shouldn't have to worry about connecting these to molex connectors either, as again, the 3 pins will suffice. You will, however, have to connect a molex to the FC

like he said, do it now, no reason NOT to, might even make things run more efficiently and its one less thing to worry about when you go to overclock.

So, PCI-E is fascinating, you can connect any lower number onto any higher number slot, so a pci-e 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x will connect to a 16x slot (so this board will support tonnssss of stuff)

evga_x58_4way_sli.jpg

The smaller slot just says PCI, but is not PCI express. Although what your saying though is that the sound card (with its tiny connecter part will still fit and work in the larger, long PCIe X 16 slot?

Thanks fot the help you guys

ittle confused still about the fans. I was referring more to the molex (power?) connectors that come attached to the fan, it of which is attached to the 3 pin conector / plug thinggie. I am sure its easy but I really dont know how this thing works.

Basically, how do i make my 3 case fans to work in my case? When and where to I plug them in? I thought to connect them to the MB in differing locations with the 3 pin conector (will this onnector also power the fan?) If that will work, then why do they send the fans with this adaptor thingiee (has a 3 pin female conector and a small molex cable - 1 side has male, 1 side has female)?

ok thanks!

Regarding that error message - where would that pop up? What do you mean just connect anything? I dont plan on using all the MB headers for fans, some may have no use. That wont cause an error message, or are you saying that If I use one header then I have to use them all or some can just be left empty or what?

also:

The Dominator GT memory comes with an airflow fan. What fan header should I attach it to (or it doesnt matter)?

Also good news. Just went to EVGA website and they have recieved more shipments of GTX 480 FTW. Been out of stock for quite some time. Putting my order in now (didnt want to buy the water block and card seperate if the make them with it already attached). So now besides small cables n stff, have everything to build the comp. Have to goto hardware store to get some dremel tools, but may start moding the case tonight.

Back