• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooling ATX Mid-Tower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pastulio

Registered
I've had my computer for many years now (almost 7) and it is still just as awesome today as it was when I first built it. Of course though, being that it is starting to finally show its age, I've gone ahead and "overclocked" it (to the best of my abilities [for the time being]).
Currently my computer is running entirely on an air-cooled system with some-odd twenty fans or so. I've gotten it to a stable 4.0GHz ... which isn't much of an overclock considering I've only increased the CPU(X) two steps (from 8x to 10x) and adjusted the VCore to support it, which currently is 1.35 and everything seems to be running stable.
In an Idle state, or just average-use (web browsing / media streaming), my temperature is around an average 36^C with my current build. StressTesting it (with Prime95[*]) my computer peeks at about 58^C after enough time has elapsed.
Because of this I am considering possibly finally trying my hand for my first "water-cooled" system. Unfortunately though, I do not want to alter the build, as far as the current case and everything, and also the Socket is now 'out-dated'.
my current build is,
- Antec 900 ATX Mid-Tower case
- EVGA 790i FTW (model: 132-YW-E179) LGA 775 socket MoBo
- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 CPU
& Zalman CNPS9500 CPU Heatsink&Fan

**What type of Water-Cooling unit should I look toward for something that will fit a LGA 775 socket, and inside a Mid-ATX case with (hopefully) no modifications to the build??**That would offer an increase in my performance stability so that I can further overclock my build and get the most out of my antique before having to upgrade to a new computer all-together? (which hopefully won't be until have the 'x98' chipset debuts!)

Last edited:
I think you're probably better off putting the money you are thinking about spending on this towards a new board/CPU.

I forgot to mention also that I am only running a 600W PSU, I should think that that would be sufficient enough for a WaterCooled system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...09078&ef_id=UvmnjgAAAC6ZFfKu:20140211050542:s
I was looking at something such as this, but I don't know one-from-the-next, as far as Performance/etc. Specifically for this one, I can't find where it says "PowerRequirement" ...
Regardless, is a 600W PSU enough for something such as that? &What sort of one should I invest in?

I guess I could probably just use that Antec one actually... or one of those Corsair ones... apparently this might work exactly for the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish...

The performance of the closed loop systems is on par with high end air, so don't count on getting a temp drop out of it.

I actually went ahead and tried out that KUHLER 650 that I had linked, as oppose to what was previously on my rig (the Zalman CNPS9500) and much to my amazement, I was better off with the Zalman.
Running at 4.0GHz 1.35Vcore (Zalman)
Idle - ~30^C
Prime95 - ~50^C

Running at 4.0GHz 1.35Vcore (KUHLER)
Idle - ~50^C
Prime95 - ~ ... -no.

Does anybody know the URL for the list of HeatSinks in comparison to one another (for which one is the betterest to buy into)?

Sounds like you had a mounting issue or a dead pump on the kuhler, it shouldn't have been THAT bad.

I'm currently still running it, because I have work I have to do--not enough time to disassemble & rebuild,, atm.
I currently have my system running 1.075V @ 3.2GHz and my lowest temperature was 31^C and highest peak 43^C in an idle (literally unused) state.
Whereas with my Zalman Fan my system was running 4.0GHz @ 1.35V and stable around 29^C (idle) ... Unless it's because the Fan Speed is on an automatic default setting ... it's definitely not a comparable alternative ...

I actually bought two of them, one for my rig and the other on an ASUS Sabertooth 990 2.0 w/ AMD FX9370 @ 4.41GHz (stock/Default/Auto config'd) which before even getting to the O.S. is running at ~50^C

Last edited:
Spend the money on a new computer instead of water cooling. Its not worth it for a CPU that's five generations old.

I'm currently still running it, because I have work I have to do--not enough time to disassemble & rebuild,, atm.
I currently have my system running 1.75V @ 3.2GHz and my lowest temperature was 31^C and highest peak 43^C in an idle (literally unused) state.
Whereas with my Zalman Fan my system was running 4.0GHz @ 1.35V and stable around 29^C (idle) ... Unless it's because the Fan Speed is on an automatic default setting ... it's definitely not a comparable alternative ...

My first question is why you're running 1.75v??? Changing cooler shouldn't affect how efficient the CPU is at overclocking. If you're pushing that high a voltage of course it's going to fail prime...

*Sry, I meant 1.075 (with the Qx9770) (my Keyboard's NumPad has a defective Zero button and I have to press it a bunch before it enters)

Unfortunately with the AMD rig, it isn't mine ... so I don't know what the Voltage Levels and such are (other than that it's just at factory default from when they initially assembled it)

...Lesson Learned (for me), "Don't invest in a LiquidCooled rig unless you can poney up the dough for a legitimate 'High-End' circuit." -paraphrasing (kinda like what this guy does,
)

Last edited:
I went ahead and disassembled the build, down to the bone, and rebuilt it as if it were the first day I got all the hardware again (removed & dusted/etc.).
Even with a higher quality ThermalCompound, and a triple-checked seated Heatsink, the Antec H20 650 still was not performing near anywhere comparable to my old Zalman CNPS9500 ... of course I've since returned the KUHLER and put the Zalman back on.
The results stand.
Without going and spending the $money$ on a legitimate Liquid-Cooled rig, I think it's a safe bet to say that a standard Heatsink+Fan is the better bet... the question now stands though, Which Heatsink+Fan should I invest in for a LGA775, LGA1155 ... and also a different project, AMD3+ with AMD FX-9370 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877 & FD9370FHHKWOF ) ?

I was looking at maybe a "Frio" but can't figure out which one would be better for a system 'overclock' ...

*Considering space is limited due to cases, otherwise I would consider the possibility of WaterCooled*

Back