• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GarbInC

Registered
Good morning everyone,

I've ran into a little dilemma... i'd like to add a waterblock for my R9 290X and overclock it a little. Now I was going to go buy an entire new liquid cooling solution with a GPU block and CPU block but, I have this feeling that I would simply be able to just disconnect water from my current radiator (H100i) and add the other parts that I am missing i.e: Pump, water bay, and a new CPU/GPU block and just use the current standalone radiator...

What do you think? any inputs would be good!
Let me know and thanks in advance,

It can be done, however, there isn't enough radiator to do the job well. You would want at least 120x3 worth of rad..

there is no way that radiator would be able to handle that.

YOu'll need more than the H100 rad to cool a 2902x and a 4670k.

It's around 400w to dissipate.

You'd better sell your h100 and buy a 360+120 with the money you get.

It can be done, however, there isn't enough radiator to do the job well. You would want at least 120x3 worth of rad..

Hmmm... Alright, that's what I thought. Do you think a 3x120 would fit in an HAF 932? currently the 2x120 sits on top but it doesnt look like an extra 120 would fit, unless i'm wrong.

I don't think it would with some kind of modification really... not sure though.

But the 120x3, is the MINIMUM I would go for that setup. 120x4 would be preferred and you could keep lower speed/noise fans on it.

Welcome to OCFs!

You're better off reading our watercooling stickies in the water cooling section and start from there if you're willing to go custom.

Also I wouldn't use those AIO radiators as sometimes they could be aluminum inside.

Well, i received all my parts put it together however i made a little mistake when putting it together. When i was screwing the Radiator on the top of my case, i punctured the copper tubing on the inside in two places. When i started the leak test (thank god i did) it leaked from the two places where i had put the screws two deeply in the radiator.

The rest didn't seem as though they were leaking however, when i'll be putting my new (unpunctured) radiator next week i'll test it again! Here's a little picture of how everything looks (ish). Keep in my though this is a KIT.

Thanks for everything :) - Please ignore the temporary mess of wires to your right :)

Attachments

• 1384467707914.jpg
    1384467707914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • PC.jpg
    PC.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
Might be worth a try soldering a patch over the holes. You should be able to get everything you need from Home Depot for less than $30. You need a propane torch, solder, flux, and some copper (just get a fitting and cut it into strips if you don't already have a piece of scrap). Wrap the hole in the pipe with the copper, add flux, then heat it up and apply solder. Let it cool, leak test, and put it back in use.

Might be worth a try soldering a patch over the holes. You should be able to get everything you need from Home Depot for less than $30. You need a propane torch, solder, flux, and some copper (just get a fitting and cut it into strips if you don't already have a piece of scrap). Wrap the hole in the pipe with the copper, add flux, then heat it up and apply solder. Let it cool, leak test, and put it back in use.

This is probably something that I would definately do. Considering the screw actually broke one of the fins from the radiator. The person who would actually try and fix it might have some luck, myself having been ignorant enough not to read the warning carefully, paid the price of a broken radiator.

I messed up a 4870 X 2 a few years ago playing around, so I can't say too much.

Playing around with things too much can get costly, yeah.

That and I think I put an after market North Bridge fan on a MOBO once that had screw that were too long and contacted it and immediately shorted killed it the first time I tried to boot it.

So I don't profess to have not made screw ups over time :bang head

Last edited:
So I finally finished my first water cooling with only Distilled Water (Fesser One) build however, some have been saying to put Primochill Liquid Utopia and an Anti-corrosion to my loop, is this really true?

I've been reading too much I think...

I'd recommend distilled water and a silver killcoil. Distilled won't conduct electricity (at first), so it's a bit safer for the leak testing while eliminating the issues typically associated with dyes and the like.

Use plain distilled water from a local store and a kill coil. Just make sure you're not mixing aluminum in your loop and you're using Primochill Advanced tubing or tubing that is plasticizer free.

Back