• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 accident

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RT had to delete two posts and I just removed another. Keep the discussion respectful and tasteful.

You didn't have to remove the posts, you only did so to make yourself feel better since you're coming across as wannabe cop who enjoys the thrill and power of being a keyboard warrior. Did you get rejected by the local police department when you tried to get a job there?

You didn't have to remove the posts, you only did so to make yourself feel better since you're coming across as wannabe cop who enjoys the thrill and power of being a keyboard warrior. Did you get rejected by the local police department when you tried to get a job there?
I'm sorry that you are offended or angry that it got deleted, but taking it out on someone else isn't going to do any good. You posted something rude/inconsiderate about a serious accident and it got deleted. Why are you trying to make this personal?

most people who had a bad day will take it out on forums so maybe thats why. maybe hes feeling better today

I just came back visiting too.
he's on pain killers now, so he doesnt feel a thing.

I was told it was pretty bad, 60% of his skin on his thighs suffered 2nd degree frostbite, 10% 3rd degree. (google it.. if u really want to know...)
http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/frostbite.html

The doctor said we can expect good recovery, but will not be anytime soon, grafting is something within consideration for sure. For now, he will be in the hospital for a while longer.

Last edited:
Here's hoping that he doesn't have to have grafting and that it will heal/recover. Wow though, 60% 2nd degree and 10% 3rd degree sounds awful.

he was testing some older CPU's LN2 capability, we had this 'idea' we are working on, and that was part of the experiment we are testing. So the bench there probably wouldn't impress you. But it wasn't a bad run though.. was good data gathered.

Here's hoping that he doesn't have to have grafting and that it will heal/recover. Wow though, 60% 2nd degree and 10% 3rd degree sounds awful.

and yes on that.. it was mixed news.. this stage and on, it really depends how his body recover from the freeze.. everyone recovers a little differently.. and I was told the situation can still sway either way, and we were all adviced to keep an open mind on the development.. (when I was told that, I was like, 'dude.. that sounds bad..')

Oh man, that's no good at all :(

Tell him we're all pulling for a quick recovery for him! Not that he knows us, but still.

I think about this a fair bit when I'm using LN2, the concept of it soaking into my socks especially. TJuan helpfully splashed some on my arms at one point, but it wasn't enough to do any meaningful damage. Did burn myself with dry ice once, that hurt like crazy for a few days. I can only imagine (though I'd rather not, really) what Josh is going through!

LN2 is strange substance, on which when the bulk direct contact on skin, you usually can endure a few seconds due to the nitrogen barrier.. the damage of it is usually only seen when 'LN2 mists' comes into contact, or it if soaks onto clothings, and you cannot get the clothing off within the next few seconds. I myself had thought LN2 splashed on before, but also, wasn't enough to cause any damage worth mentioning.

which means, an Lab-Apron is probably a pretty good idea when working with the substance. My student just had the worst of luck there, he basically had LN2 POURED onto his trousers. Terrible terrible combination.... (I just winced again.. thinking about it)

Yeah I am generally the only idiot around here stupid enough to splash ln2 at others. (i swear it wasn't intentional, didnt make that mistake again though).

Part of what makes ln2 so dangerous when it spills in a situation like that humidity from the skin tends to soak into the cloth and encourage the Wicking effect that happens and further penetration of the cold. Rather than it beading up and rolling off. Though some materials will naturally somewhat reject ln2. Some of the Canvas's i wear tend to do this. Jeans on the otherhand tend to wick alot in general with fluids so that can make things a problem.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention though. Its something some of us have put some thought into but its certainly easy to get into the thought process that your safe enough. I am sorry to hear that your student got hurt and wish him a speedy recovery.

I, being totally unfamiliar with LN2 other than seeing it in use on video and reading the numbers, had no idea that something like this could result in such damage to the skin in literally split seconds. I don't handle LN2 at all but have considered at times trying a pot on an old rig for fun. I certainly have a whole new understanding AND respect for said LN2. Accidents like this hit home to just how potentially dangerous LN2 and other things really are. If -192c doesn't sound like a whole lot then look at this incident. It's VERY VERY cold. I hope this student recovers with minimal scaring etc. and quickly. I do thank you for this post. You probably just saved more than one of us from certain injury or worse.

THX
Z

I, being totally unfamiliar with LN2 other than seeing it in use on video and reading the numbers, had no idea that something like this could result in such damage to the skin in literally split seconds. I don't handle LN2 at all but have considered at times trying a pot on an old rig for fun. I certainly have a whole new understanding AND respect for said LN2. Accidents like this hit home to just how potentially dangerous LN2 and other things really are. If -192c doesn't sound like a whole lot then look at this incident. It's VERY VERY cold. I hope this student recovers with minimal scaring etc. and quickly. I do thank you for this post. You probably just saved more than one of us from certain injury or worse.

THX
Z

This is the bright side of posts like these.

I don't know if I want to look at "skin grafting" in Wikipedia, since I can't comprehend the idea of removing skin from Y to put it in X. Wouldn't Y be damaged?

This is the bright side of posts like these.

I don't know if I want to look at "skin grafting" in Wikipedia, since I can't comprehend the idea of removing skin from Y to put it in X. Wouldn't Y be damaged?

yes to an extent, its generally taken from areas with more weight ( ie the *** etc ) and transferred to the intended area. Its rather painful. So all i can say is i hope that the skin grafting the kid has to go through is minimal. Get well soon is all i can say.

Do moonpig send cards over to Japan? :p we could send him a collective get well card from the forum! :attn:

Injured in the line of duty!:salute:

yes to an extent, its generally taken from areas with more weight ( ie the *** etc ) and transferred to the intended area. Its rather painful. So all i can say is i hope that the skin grafting the kid has to go through is minimal. Get well soon is all i can say.

Do moonpig send cards over to Japan? :p we could send him a collective get well card from the forum! :attn:

Injured in the line of duty!:salute:

Can we give him a OCF Purple Heart? :D

Count me in for that collective card. :thup:

Can we give him a OCF Purple Heart? :D

Count me in for that collective card. :thup:

I'm happy to do it tbh. I would just need to either find a card company that delivers to Japan ( like moonpig, have a look if you dont know what it is) Or get a card here and post it! Or blue could get the card and sign it on behalf of us. Any is good. I for one want this solider to know hes one hardcore mofo and that we are all wishing him a speedy recovery! :attn:

Back