• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Load Line Calibration voltagenot a good idea? for FX 8350 but what about Ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

campdude

Registered
Asus Crosshair V
FX 8350
32 GB ram 2133 mhz

I had my FX 8350 stable at 4.3 Ghz with many hours of prime95 behind that clock.
I decided to overclock my FX 8350 to 4.4 Ghz. It passed prime for about half an hour.
I ran 3dMark through and did fine. I ran a bunch of video games today and it was fine.

The settings I used was increasing the voltages 1.325 and putting Load Line Calibration to Extreme.
This setting boosted the voltages to 1.344 under load. And this is the voltage that was boosted for at Prime Testing.

The problem lies here. I was trying to watch a Blu-ray video and it kept freezing. I did a bunch of things.
Re-install the software, sfc scan look for corrupt files, and it didn't help.

Then I went and put Load Line Calibration back to 'auto' and increased the vcore to 1.344.
Now my Blu-Ray plays without freezing.

Has anyone else noticed that relying on Load Line Calibration Voltage boosts provides instability in any circumstances?

The reason why this bothers me is because I have a Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.825 Ghz.
It passed all my prime tests, cinebench, and seems stable.

I have load line calibration set to extreme with the Ryzen 5 1600 and voltages set to auto on that system.
When at load the CPU vcore is 1.27... and at idle it goes down to .4 or .68; something extremely low.

The question is... could my Ryzen 5 1600 be secretly unstable? Since I am using LLC voltage boosts for stability at full load.

Any insight anyone? or has Ryzen changed alot. The only reason I messed with LLC on the FX8350 is because it seemed alright for Ryzen....

I have used LLC on intel i5 6600k for stability voltages. It seemed to work... but I never played a Blu-Ray on that system....
Again any thoughts about this?

Don't use "Extreme", then you should be OK...

Does this also apply to Ryzen?

On my Gigabyte Motherboard all of the "LLC" settings increase voltages for Ryzen.
Although, they all boost at a different amount. The higher the setting the higher the boost.

Edit: I just did 1 hour and 26 minutes of tests and one of my cores came up with a prime error. Just set it to Ultra High LLC to see if it helps.
Ultra high does not seem to increase voltage as Extreme does (with my Asus and FX 8350)

Last edited:
Extreme LLC settings are only needed for the guy's doing subzero cooling set your LLC to high and be happy. Ryzen is a different breed of CPU and from what I have seen there is a lot more VDroop with the platform you will need to see what works best for your board by trying different LLC settings.

The idea of using LLC when overclocking is to have it set where it keeps the voltage, when under a load, as close as the set voltage in the BIOS. So if it is set to extreme when under load it is likely raising it significantly above where you have it set in the BIOS. You will likely need to raise the set voltage in the BIOs and then find the LLC setting that keeps the voltage consistent. Also 30 minutes of prime isn't enough to confirm stability.

I know 30 minutes of prime isn't enough. I just completed 7 hours of prime last night on my FX 8350.
My system was not stable LLC at AUTO. and 1.34 volts.

My system was not stable with FX8350 with a voltage that was set on purposefully lower and relying on the extreme voltage LLC to boost to 1.344.

However, the FX8350 was stable with LLC Very High and 1.344 volts.

Now about my Ryzen system. I don't have a video card in there to mess around with it anymore.
I just had voltages to auto and LLC to highest possible setting and it did pass 8 hour prime.
Like I said earlier the Ryzen would under-volt itself during idle or lower useage with auto.
With extreme LLC I wouldn't have noticed that the voltages were changing at all... meaning they were always changing.

prime.jpg

I would think cranking LLC on Ryzen would just make it run really hot. To be honest that might be good subject for a new thread - I actually hadn't thought much about LLC on my Ryzen builds, maybe others have found some good insight or tips about using it on AM4?

LLC on AM3+ was definitely something to tune on both Phenoms and FX chips. But with Ryzen/AM4 it's more like a given voltage is going to work with a given multiplier, or totally NOT.

I guess a bad.. example? - juicing LLC on Ryzen *might* give you a few more seconds before the machine spontaneously rebooted, whereas on AM3 LLC would be something to try if you're dropping prime threads over a few hours.

AM4 any "grey area" of instability usually is memory related. Which LLC isn't really that helpful for.

Last edited:
Back