• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL! I blew-out a fan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tested the fan with power straight from the PSU? It could very well be that your 200CFM fan overloaded the CPU Fan header and IT shut the fan off to protect itself... I've never heard of a fan blowing up because you connected it to a fan header; it's usually the other way around.

And no the fans not broken, plug it into the psu. I guarantee it starts up

^^ Loki - those people are correct. You did not fry your fan. You could possibly fry your motherboard by running that fan on it though. Your motherboard wasn't meant to have fans that powerful attached to it.

He is talking about the 4 pin Auxiliary PCI Express graphics power connector his board has. http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15640/eng/DX48BT2_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

Remember when you first started learning about building computers and for a short while you knew just enough to be dangerous?

:facepalm:
Right. Thats for the PCI express lanes, not for mobo fan headers. Something seems peculiar about this whole thing...:sly:

Dude could have torched his mobo header, not likely the fan...good stuff.

EDIT: Heh.. yeah what was said above!

From the technical specs of Loki's motherboard:
Table 25. Fan Header Current Capability
Fan Header Maximum Available Current
Processor fan 2.0 A
Front chassis fan 1.5 A
MCH Fan 3.5 A (direct connect 12V rail)
Rear chassis fan 1.5 A
Auxiliary rear chassis fan 2.0 A

Loki - There is one fan header that might can handle your fan but your fan will be stressing it. It is the 3 pin fan header right next to the corner of your CPU. I suspect it was the one you first used.

You might want to read the owner's manual that I linked above and the tech spec manual located here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15640/eng/DX48BT2_TechProdSpec.pdf

From the technical specs of Loki's motherboard:
Table 25. Fan Header Current Capability
Fan Header Maximum Available Current
Processor fan 2.0 A
Front chassis fan 1.5 A
MCH Fan 3.5 A (direct connect 12V rail)
Rear chassis fan 1.5 A
Auxiliary rear chassis fan 2.0 A

Loki - There is one fan header that might can handle your fan but your fan will be stressing it. It is the 3 pin fan header right next to the corner of your CPU. I suspect it was the one you first used.

You might want to read the owner's manual that I linked above and the tech spec manual located here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15640/eng/DX48BT2_TechProdSpec.pdf

That's where I had it originally connected; to the MCH Fan. It ran like a champ. Then I thought to myself. I said, "Self, wouldn't it be better to plug the radiator fan into the CPU fan port?"

So I did.

After it screamed to life, I found it was blowing the wrong way. Needed it blowing into the radiator...

So I switched around some pins on the connector. (My fan was BOLTED in, that's why I didn't just turn it around.)

When I went to plug it back in...no workee. So I went back to the MCH connecter, after readjusting the pins to their normal state...no workee.

So, I made sure the pins were making contact and they were.

That's when I broke out the CPUheatsink and fan to test on the CPU fan connector. It worked.

I killed my greatest fan.:thup:

A fan does not blow in a different direction when you flip the connector around!!!!

Sounds like your wiring job is the problem put it back the way it was.

A fan does not blow in a different direction when you flip the connector around!!!!

Sounds like your wiring job is the problem put it back the way it was.

I did put it back the way it was. And yes, fans do run backwards when you flip the polarity.

Im not sure how that works as with a 3 pin its, Positive, Negative, and RPM. How would it run backwards? it just wouldnt run AFAIK.

I did put it back the way it was. And yes, fans do run backwards when you flip the polarity.

some CAN run backwards, most do not (there's a thread around here somewhere about that). I think you need to call and cancel that RMA, because you killed the fan on your own, it was no fault of the manufacturer.

some CAN run backwards, most do not (there's a thread around here somewhere about that). I think you need to call and cancel that RMA, because you killed the fan on your own, it was no fault of the manufacturer.

They've already shipped a new one, so there.:cool:

Oh well, your karma, not mine.

The fan should've taken it. Whatever I throw at it. It actually ran full speed at 3800rpm. Had an amperage rating of 1.95. I've never in my life, as an electronics engineer, seen anything like it. So Karma is not an issue. I explained in great detail what I did to the seller and he didn't know what to think of it; except, "Get that man a new fan!"

PC fan blades usually have a curved design (looking straight at the end of the blade), so even if the rewiring would have worked, the airflow in reverse wouldn't have been as good as airflow in the direction the blades were designed for. It would have been so much easier to just turn the fan around...

Yep, I think this just about sums up this thread:

Remember when you first started learning about building computers and for a short while you knew just enough to be dangerous?

Dude, you blew up your fan. If the retailer knows what you did and is still replacing it, that's on them. We've all done stupid stuff like that but make no mistake, it's not the fan's fault this happened.

Mod note time: This thread could easily take a (somewhat justifiable) turn for the worse after this little revelation. I would strongly encourage future posters to not allow it to happen.

PC fan blades usually have a curved design, so even if the rewiring would have worked, the airflow in reverse wouldn't have been as good as airflow in the direction the blades were designed for. It would have been so much easier to just turn the fan around...

The fan was bolted-in and I cut off the excess bolt, rendering the threads unmanageable to backing the nuts off. My dad has the bolt cutters and he lives an hour away. So I had no choice but to try to reverse the fan flow.

Yep, I think this just about sums up this thread:

Dude, you blew up your fan. If the retailer knows what you did and is still replacing it, that's on them. We've all done stupid stuff like that but make no mistake, it's not the fan's fault this happened.

Mod note time: This thread could easily take a (somewhat justifiable) turn for the worse after this little revelation. I would strongly encourage future posters to not allow it to happen.

I agree with you on that last point.

You never have no choice :D You just have to think outside the box sometimes, you could have used something simple as zipties/rubberbands or something more difficult like making a custom mount/shroud to hold the fan in place.

I've personally attached CPU heatsinks and waterblocks to GPUs using zipties and shoestrings :thup:

You never have no choice :D You just have to think outside the box sometimes, you could have used something simple as zipties/rubberbands or something more difficult like making a custom mount/shroud to hold the fan in place.

I've personally attached CPU heatsinks and waterblocks to GPUs using zipties and shoestrings :thup:

I thought of using zipties but the fan is metal and very heavy.

You killed your fan, as the Sticky Reading Enforcement Official said, it's your karma, not mine, not ours.

I mean, you're an electronics engineer, yet you decided to flip the polarity just like that? And you shouldn't judge a wire just because of it's color, IIRC, Intel has a different standard for the colors of the fan wires, that, sadly, I think no one follows, but them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back