• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long overdue GPU update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AT this stage its looking like a new build, i have never done a mobo batt....

Advice:
Ryzen 5 1600 - 80$ plus a 30$ credit towards compatible Mobo
Ryzen 3 2200g - 80$ no mobo credit

Will my DDR3 work at all or is it incompatible?

The Ryzen 5 1600 is what I would go for. You will need DDR4.

Ok headed to micro center here right at 10 when they open, ryzen 5 check, minimum 8GB ram (16 if they have a deal?) what do i need to look for in a MOBO, in my mind I need a PCIE 3.0 4 ram slots, appropriate CPU slot OFC, what else in terms of chipsets do I need to know?!?!?!?

All but the bottom (I think) two tiers will OC Ryzen. B450 is fine. Fastest RAM you can afford up to the MOBO's max supported speed, and check the QVL! Ryzen can be picky about RAM!

B450 typically maxes out at 3466mhz but as far as i know Ryzen's 1st gen only hit 29**mhz/32**mhz. Did this change with the last year's BIOS updates ?

Welp I am now posting from a Ryzen 5 - 1600 mounted to an ASUS PRIME B450M-A with 16GB Ballistix DDR4 3200 memory..... AMD drivers downloading now....

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Same error.... WTF... hahaha ok im on W10 and its running, ill try to exchange this card, put in my old 6850 for now, why on earth would 2 cards give me the same issues though, i just dont get it... at all...

Yeah both current Driver on the AMD page failed to take hold..... now that im looking the GPU fans aren't even running... I may try another card if it fails I may go team blue?!?!? I dont have a huge brand loyalty but this is absurd... wonder if my old 6850 will load (bet it does hahaha)

That is really unbelievable that two cards have the same problem. Sorry to see all the trouble your having.:-/

Last edited:
From this seller after I told him that my research had indicated that this could possibly be a bios issue from undervolting for the purposes of mining; Interesting. Thank you for the info on that! The other cards are pulled from the same rig, so you may face the same issue. I am happy to give you a full refund if you’d like.

From this seller after I told him that my research had indicated that this could possibly be a bios issue from undervolting for the purposes of mining; Interesting. Thank you for the info on that! The other cards are pulled from the same rig, so you may face the same issue. I am happy to give you a full refund if you’d like.

So your saying both the video cards you received came from the same seller?

They were two different sellers actually. The first seller straight up admitted that it probably needed a bios reflash. This seller if you read between the lines basically admitted that it came from some kind of mining farm as all six of the cards he stated he had were from the same rig. I don't know anyone that games with six of the same video card. I suppose the next step for me quite honestly is to ask what my best option and value is new from Amazon or Newegg or TigerDirect etc etc etc. I'd like to be relatively future proof I don't need a run things on ultra but I think my stomach for used equipment is a little bit ruined at the stage

Can you post up some pictures of your inoperative video card(s)?

As I mentioned there should be a sticker on the back with specs and manufacturer data.

The video card market on eBay definitely leaves something to be desired.

They were two different sellers actually. The first seller straight up admitted that it probably needed a bios reflash. This seller if you read between the lines basically admitted that it came from some kind of mining farm as all six of the cards he stated he had were from the same rig. I don't know anyone that games with six of the same video card. I suppose the next step for me quite honestly is to ask what my best option and value is new from Amazon or Newegg or TigerDirect etc etc etc. I'd like to be relatively future proof I don't need a run things on ultra but I think my stomach for used equipment is a little bit ruined at the stage

I know how you feel that's why I don't buy used video cards, motherboards and processors of eBay. How much do you want to spend on a new video card?:)

Screenshot_20190325-151817.png
This seems like a solid deal, 169 after rebates and 2 free games, i can clock it to 580 speeds.... talk me out of it....

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1405 MHz OC+, two free games for 189.99 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150794

Is the upgrade worth the 20$ in performance? I ask cause I am already over budget by a bit (was hoping to be around 100$ once i thought id be going used)

No real intrest at this time in having anyone else toy with the card, seems pretty clear it was a mining card and if I can get my money back and move on i will i have wasted enough of my time on this thing.

Is the upgrade worth the 20$ in performance? I ask cause I am already over budget by a bit (was hoping to be around 100$ once i thought id be going used)
If your tight on money go with the $20 rebate on the card you picked. The RX 570 to RX 580 is about 15% performance improvement.

Last edited:
so 15% performance for 11% more cost..... bah that argument makes sense..... XFX is a brand I can trust I assume? Never used them havent seen much by them around...

Back