• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long range wifi antenna

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quickbot

Registered
Hello again. This forum is most helpfull so ill ask here a new dilemma! So here it goes : I have a problem getting decent speed/connection in country side. So here it goes. Router is located in other house(wood) around 20m from where i stay when i get there. Im staying in old house thats made from like 60-80cm thick stone blocks so wifi signal is dead zone there(only at the window and in room as long as you have sight of other house)

I bought TP-LINK ARCHER T2UH and was using with 10m long usb cable so that dongle was sticked to a window, made an antenna from bottle and was receiving~60-80% signal strenght and speed was enough to watch youtube or play online console games untill last time i was there. Signal strengh was the same, but speed dropped from 72mbps and started to jump from that max speed to 1-5mbps, so my download upload speeds dropped to like 100-300kbps(b4 last time i was getting ~ 2-5mbps or download/upload there) Plus i use my laptop as wirtual wifi.

So i checked router and it wasnt moved nor blocked by something that would kill signal, checked all settings, did reset and all as needed, but speed wtill from Archer was dead with high signal - no speed.

Is my Archer dead or Laptops antenna thats used for wirtual wifi? Im too dumb to understand.

And could anyone help me choose better wifi booster/receiver for that place....something with stronger antenna and without need to use laptop for wifi, but all from the booster/receiver.

So after some research and what not i came to a few Antennas that should be better with signal strengh than wall plugs(as every outlet is on the stone wall. Heres a few antennas that i found in local shop and would like to know if they are enough/overkill or if there is any way for antenna to pick up wifi signal and make own wifi zone in other house?! I really dont know anything about how all that work so need huge help here! http://labocenuveikals.lv/lv/veikals/datoru-piederumi/wifi-antenas/us8

Thank you!And sorry for my english...havnt improved a bit! :D

Last edited:
Or is it enough to get a better antenna for archer dongle, but then, how big of a chance it will perform better than stock antenna + bottel wtih foil?

Back