• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifi Conn Anywhere ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,

Lots of adds coming to me via get WIFI anywhere ? Most are small credit card size devices thickness of a pack of cigarettes. Cost range from £20-100 , they say....a WIFI signal will be obtainable
to give me a speed of 150MB ( more than enough ), is this a joke ? I mean its a one time purchase and you get WIFI anywhere ? ( Yes within a tower of course but still , in travel seems a great item to pack ),

Should I goforit?

Berne

One time purchase to give you "free" WiFi does NOT exist. You have to have service from some ISP some where. Hotspots about the size of a pack of cigs, that's true. They need a subscription to a cell based company like T-Mobile or ATT or Verizon, <insert your local cell provider>, etc. You have to pay that monthly or per data used subscription fee.

There are lots of these scams being advertised on social media sites to include YouTube, FaceBook, etc. Free internet anywhere in the world!? My @**. Some one has to provide the access to the internet and no one is doing it for free. Sure, you could go to a local restaurant and get free WiFi but you don't need to buy a device to use that. Of course then you're stuck buying coffee all day and having random people moving in and out of the restaurant...

There's a nice YouTube channel dedicated, in part, to reviewing these scams. Ken does something or some such title. I'm not able to look it up right now.

Bottom line: There is no free internet at any cost. Some one is paying for the access itself.

Last edited:
I missed the part where he thought it was a one-time payment... nerp. You buy the device, and pay for service monthy, absolutely.

I been gone long time , excuse this vtardy reply.

Many thanks people.

Berne

These devices are commonly known as portable WiFi hotspots, and they can be a convenient way to get internet access while on the go. They typically use cellular data to create a WiFi signal, which you can then connect to with your devices.

The advertised speed of 150 MB is likely an exaggeration, as actual speeds will depend on factors such as your location, the number of people using the device at the same time, and the strength of the cellular signal. However, in general, these devices should provide sufficient internet access for most basic online activities such as browsing and email.

In terms of whether you should purchase one, it depends on your needs. If you frequently travel and need internet access on the go, a portable WiFi hotspot can be a useful tool. However, if you already have a smartphone with a mobile data plan, you may not need to buy a separate device.

It would be a good idea to check the coverage area of the service provider, before purchasing it, as you might end up in an area where the service provider does not have coverage.

These devices are commonly known as portable WiFi hotspots, and they can be a convenient way to get internet access while on the go. They typically use cellular data to create a WiFi signal, which you can then connect to with your devices.

The advertised speed of 150 MB is likely an exaggeration, as actual speeds will depend on factors such as your location, the number of people using the device at the same time, and the strength of the cellular signal. However, in general, these devices should provide sufficient internet access for most basic online activities such as browsing and email.

In terms of whether you should purchase one, it depends on your needs. If you frequently travel and need internet access on the go, a portable WiFi hotspot can be a useful tool. However, if you already have a smartphone with a mobile data plan, you may not need to buy a separate device.

It would be a good idea to check the coverage area of the service provider, before purchasing it, as you might end up in an area where the service provider does not have coverage.
You're not wrong on any one point except that this was about the scam units that said that you could get on the internet for free. A celular connection charges by the month or as a pay as you go. Not free. For a while there were a lot of adds for such a "free" device. These were scams.

:welcome: to the forum.

Back