• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lookig for advice/suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Hi all My current setup is as follows

Old flow.png

I reversed the flow to accomodate the rad in the HD bays. The rad currently has the stock fans pushing, the case fans aren't attached to the rad they just exhaust. I also added a 120 on the side door for the GPU cause it was running hot. I assume because of the reversed air flow.

I am going to install a second GTX 580 DCU II which are 3 bay cards and work very well( even OC'd mine runs in the low 70's), but I feel that my current set up won't provide enough cool air for them.
So I'd like to change things around like so

New setup.png

I'd also like to add two more fans to the rad for a push/pull set up. It reall doesn't work as well as I would think it should in my current setup.
So I have a few questions.
1. would this provide adequate airflow in the case. Or am I creating a vaccuum? Cause I'll have 4 in if you include the side dooor, and 4 out all 120's but there's still the 2 cards and PSU and those cards move quite a bit of air.
2. should I keep the stock fans on the rad and add two or replace them as well. So there'll be 4 identical .
3. should I leave the 200mm fan in the top or will it cause interference with the airflow from the rad.
Would also like suggestions on fans for the rad. Prefferably something available at Tigerdirect.ca or Canadacomputers.com. I have checked some of the fan recommendations in other posts but can't seem to locate them at either one of these outlets.

The second pic is much more common and I feel it's a better idea.

You have a AIO TT2.0 on the CPU? Your overclock is 4.6 which is pretty good and I can see that AIO having probems keeping up with the heat your making. Going push pull with better fans will help a few C, but nothing spectaular. Get 4 Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans for the rad. You will like them, very popular rad fans. Overall, possibly consider a 120x3 custom loop if temps are a real worry. Then add another 120x2 and cool your GPUs too. Your asking a lot from that poor AIO unit.

Your top GPU is going to get much hotter once you add the second GPU. Because the bottom card will highly restrict airflow to the top card. And 580's are HOT. Expect warmer temps overall in the case too.

Yes the top fan on the case needs removed and as much mesh etc removed. The plastic grill on top is fine.

NCIX? Umm there is another CA store folks buy from but can't remember which one.

The typhoons aren't available at either store. I chose these locations since I can drive there on the weekend.
Any word on these
http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/turbine.html
They've got a pretty good CFM, static pressure is sos so but doubled up should be good I think. Also variable rpm

I do realize the cards will run hotter that's why I'm trying to be proactive. And the Sabretooth has an extra space between the x16 slots compared to other boards which will help a bit.
This cooler isn't too bad for now @4.6 I'm still just under 50 degrees load. Just thought I might be able to find more playroom with an improved airflow.
My next project will be a WC system. Probably get a new case for that though.

Just an update. I spent most of last night dicking around with this and one thing for sure the TT 2.0 won't work in the top of that case. The big a** hole for the fan kinda messes things up. You'd need some pretty creative brackets and then wouldn't be able to attach the case top afterwards.
In the end it's hanging on the inside rear with the exhaust fans in a push / pull which still required leaving the big fan out and bending the top of the case. I would have cut it out but wanted to retain a resale value.
It's a great case for air not so much for water.

Back