• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at the pictures how can I get my temps down for my SLI'd Matrix Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildstallion

Hi all,

I have been recently been attempting to overclock my GX580 SLI setup. I am hitting a wall at about 910Mhz-920Mhz (irrespective of fan speed or voltage) I am positive the barrier is thermal since BF3 and Unigine function fine at 940Mhz as long as peak temps are in the mid 70's. As soon as temps rise to 80 plus on the top card I experience instability issues this usually takes 20 minutes.

I have thus far followed every avenue I can think of to bring temps down and I have been successful. The top card was at one stage hitting 100 now it only gets to around 83-84 peak load when surrounded by 4 additional fans and after having used a hole saw to cut two holes in my old Coolmaster Mystique.

I am hoping to avoid having at all costs purchasing a new case due to space restrictions and the fact I like my existing case a lot and migrating everything would be a real pain. If I did I presumably a 9 slot size would be needed due to my Asus pZ68 deluxe config (spacing is difficult due to the cards being triple slot).

My question is judging from the picture what could I do that would knock an extra 10 Degress off my temps on the top card?

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t324/lukeglazebrook/LukesPCmk1.jpg

Holy ratz nest Batman! :eek: I concur with my comrade in bloo. You need some serious wire management first. Eliminating any obstacles that prevent good air flow is top priority.

I'm sure those 580's are suffocating big time.

Thanks for all your feedback guys its appreciated I have bitten the bullet I intend to modify my working desk environment to accommodate a Xigmatek Elysium Full Tower Windowed Case - Black.

Seems to get good reviews and since I am running H20 for the CPU should hopefully do well. If you all had to guess how much do you think I can realistically expect my temps to drop on those cards?

I dont think you will get alot of benefit overclocking those bad boys anyway. You need good cooling for overclocking and at the moment it isnt happening. My suggestions are :-

1. Get the new case and plan where everthing is going IE fans and their direction IE intake or exhaust ect.

2. ( GUESS ???? ) Yup cable management lol.

I think its possible to get the 580 s a hell of a lot cooler with that big case.

Well I install everything in the new case over the weekend and although I did not get the opportunity to do extensive re-over clocking there was a clear improvement. I was able to drop the voltage and achieve a higher overclock straight away with better stability.

It’s really strange to think that a case can quantify as a performance upgrade its not the typical component you imagine would boost performance.

Back