• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for a free Codec so i can play MP4 in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking for a free Codec so i can play MP4 in XP media player.

looking fo a safe download.

MP4 is a container format... So depending on what type of video/audio was packed into it you will need different codecs (h264, FFDShow, mpeg4, etc).

There are ways to get WMP to work properly with MP4, but they require a bit of work on the user's part.

Here's a guide on how to get it working: Guide.

Or you could go with the simple solution and get VLC Media player (Free, Open Source and super light).

Yes VLC is good, it has no download manger clean Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking.:)

I was searching on my own and only could find codec packs with download mangers (spyware)

Things change so fast on the internet, I remember a time when it was much easier to find freeware without spyware and ads.

I donated $5.00

Or toolbars. That is my main problem with a lot of Windows programs right now. Even Java and Adobe do this relentlessly. Not only do they prompt you at install time (with those stupid options where clicking the text next to the checkbox doesn't work -- seriously?), they do it while updating themselves.

of course CCCP has no downloader, viruses, adware, bloatware, or toolbars. VLC? Ugh... Definitely not even close to my favorite program though.

I used to use it till i came across the CCCP, then i discovered just how poor it was for what i needed (you know... play video smoothly... tends to stutter a bit), and how WMP-Classic was so much better. Figure that, an ancient discontinued and free media player armed with all the newest codex is better then the newest thing on the market... It still is as far as i can tell.

of course CCCP has no downloader, viruses, adware, bloatware, or toolbars.
No one claimed it did. He was merely commenting that VLC didn't.

Out of the many years I've used VLC and the many operating systems I've used VLC on, I've never had it stutter or have a problem reading a video file. :shrug:

:rolleyes:
People could try not hitting next, next, next, next......
Or they could simply not include it in the installers. :rolleyes:

What about the ones that deliberately make it difficult to unselect what "extras" they install or flat out do it anyway?

of course CCCP has no downloader, viruses, adware, bloatware, or toolbars. VLC? Ugh... Definitely not even close to my favorite program though.

I used to use it till i came across the CCCP, then i discovered just how poor it was for what i needed (you know... play video smoothly... tends to stutter a bit), and how WMP-Classic was so much better. Figure that, an ancient discontinued and free media player armed with all the newest codex is better then the newest thing on the market... It still is as far as i can tell.

Now that i've had more time to play with VLC and use more functions I have noticed that DVD movies stalls some times for a split second and the picture quality is not as good as cyberlink powerdvd.

This is not even my computer i'm working on, however I like to do good work, so you got me thinking, plus i would just like to see for my self if CCCP is better picture in MP4 and DVD also if it will fix the slight stalls sometimes with DVD.

I was wondering form what you are saying is the codec WMP-Classic better than CCCP codec also does WMP-classic have ads, bloatware, adware, also where can you down load WMP-Classic without a download manger?

Last edited:
Or they could simply not include it in the installers. :rolleyes:

What about the ones that deliberately make it difficult to unselect what "extras" they install or flat out do it anyway?

I hate that, that's why I'm here because i don't want to install all the extras that i cant get back out from trying all the programs on the net.:) I think there should be a law saying they must disclose what they are loading on your PC like they do with food labels.

Now that i've had more time to play with VLC and use more functions I have noticed that DVD movies stalls some times for a split second and the picture quality is not as good as cyberlink powerdvd.

This is not even my computer i'm working on, however I like to do good work, so you got me thinking, plus i would just like to see for my self if CCCP is better picture in MP4 and DVD also if it will fix the slight stalls sometimes with DVD.

I was wondering form what you are saying is the codec WMP-Classic better than CCCP codec also does WMP-classic have ads, bloatware, adware, also where can you down load WMP-Classic without a download manger?

stuttering, as far as i can tell happens more often in VLC the higher the resolution of the video is. It seems completely unrelated to computer specs which is why i moved on from it.

WMP-Classic is "Windows Media Player - Classic" the media player that came with windows 95/98 prior to the current windows media player version that popped up in later editions. CCCP is just a codex pack, but one nice thing about it, is it comes with this archaic media player bundled in it (it's so old it's just an exe file, it doesn't even need to install into your system to run).

I've found for movie watching there is no better media player out there.

stuttering, as far as i can tell happens more often in VLC the higher the resolution of the video is. It seems completely unrelated to computer specs which is why i moved on from it.

WMP-Classic is "Windows Media Player - Classic" the media player that came with windows 95/98 prior to the current windows media player version that popped up in later editions. CCCP is just a codex pack, but one nice thing about it, is it comes with this archaic media player bundled in it (it's so old it's just an exe file, it doesn't even need to install into your system to run).

I've found for movie watching there is no better media player out there.

no better media player out there, are you talking about WMP classic or archaic?

Back