• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a mobile wireless access point.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakstave

Hello,

My cell phone contract finished, and I decided I'm paying way too much for the 6 or so phone calls a month I make. So I asked AT&T if I could drop my voice plan, and keep the data plan.

They said no.

I asked if I could drop the data, and keep the voice.

They said no again.

So I dropped THEM instead. My iPhone is now a sKype phone.

Every now and again, I need to make a phone call from someplace that I don't have wireless coverage. I would like to purchase one of those mobile hot spots advertised by Clear (25/month) but I've been told the Clear networks are basically slower than dial up.

Has anyone used a 3G or 4G wireless access point? Does it perform well enough Skype? Who was the carrier and how much did it cost?

I'm looking for lower cost alternatives to purchasing expensive cell phone plans.

I just use pay as you go... $10 for a month, sometimes I don't use it for a whole week and stick in a code so it's usually less than 10 a month.

I just use pay as you go... $10 for a month, sometimes I don't use it for a whole week and stick in a code so it's usually less than 10 a month.

Thanks for responding Shell.

Ah, but I'm stuck with AT&T, cause it's an iPhone. And because it's a smart phone, they won't let me out the door for less than 70/month.

And I WANT the smartphone capabilities, and all I need for those is a mobile Wifi.

Plus, I'd have mobile Wifi which is cool all by itself.

Well I've never put myself in a contract but people can often get out if they give them two options; cheaper plan or I stop paying. Maybe a phone buyout.

Phones manufacturers and Telcos are a joke of a business supported by the common idiot, $500 for a $100 phone and multiple years of horribly overpriced service.

Oh the things people will do to get an Apple branded phone.

Well I've never put myself in a contract but people can often get out if they give them two options; cheaper plan or I stop paying. Maybe a phone buyout.

Phones manufacturers and Telcos are a joke of a business supported by the common idiot, $500 for a $100 phone and multiple years of horribly overpriced service.

Oh the things people will do to get an Apple branded phone.

Shell, I agree with you. I don't want another cell phone contract, but I'm willing to pay considerably less for a mobile hotspot that will basically give me the same thing, for less than half the price.

Hmm, if you travel in your car a lot you could turn it into a mobile 3g-to-wifi point with a 3G stick and pico computer, not a really cheap solution but I know truckers and people who travel a lot who do that.

A person was wanting internet everywhere he drove so I got him a $200 netbook, it usually just sits in the glove box(which conveniently has a 12v plug right in it so it's completely hidden) and has a USB cable hidden which goes to the 3G adaptor and antenna hidden in the column.
He pays $50 a month for unlimited usage(5GB is $38 I think) and it works everywhere, pretty fast in 3G areas. It consumes so little power he can leave it on 24/7 and doesn't have to worry about the battery, although I told him to turn it off if he's going to leave the car off for more than a day.

Pico computers can be even cheaper but are more of an "overclocker" solution. CARPUTER.

Hmm, if you travel in your car a lot you could turn it into a mobile 3g-to-wifi point with a 3G stick and pico computer, not a really cheap solution but I know truckers and people who travel a lot who do that.

A person was wanting internet everywhere he drove so I got him a $200 netbook, it usually just sits in the glove box(which conveniently has a 12v plug right in it so it's completely hidden) and has a USB cable hidden which goes to the 3G adaptor and antenna hidden in the column.
He pays $50 a month for unlimited usage(5GB is $38 I think) and it works everywhere, pretty fast in 3G areas. It consumes so little power he can leave it on 24/7 and doesn't have to worry about the battery, although I told him to turn it off if he's going to leave the car off for more than a day.

Pico computers can be even cheaper but are more of an "overclocker" solution. CARPUTER.

You know, it's obviously more expensive, but really not a bad solution... I'll do a little research, and post what I find.

Thanks Shell! Anyone else have some ideas or experiences?

Back