• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys,

Just recently upgraded to a Q6600 and 4GB of DDR3 from a E8500 and 2GB of DDR2. I need a relatively inexpensive graphics card to go with it.

CPU = Q6600 2.4GHZ (soon to be 3.0GHZ)
Motherboard = Asus P5KC
RAM = 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600
PSU = Corsair TX650w
Current Video Card = HD 3870 512MB

2) What is your budget? - £80-90

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?

About a year, until I upgrade.

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?

Gaming - I play CSS competitively (and will be switching to CS:GO) but I also play some LoL and SWTOR. Something that can handle these games easily.

Photoshop, illustrator and 3DSMAX

Last edited:
hi there here is mine,

cpu= intel celeron 2nd gen g530 2.4ghz 2mb l3 cache
mobo= ecs h67h2-m3
ram= 6gb (4+2) kingston ddr3 1333
psu= antec vp 450w
hdd= wd blue 500gb
odd= lite on ihas524 24x dvd rw
case= coolermaster elite 431 w/5 120mm fans
gpu= integrated intel hd 1000
display= 19'' led widescreen 1366x768 60hz

budget= $100-$130

usage= low to medium gaming

games= nba2k12, devil may cry 4, cod mw3, skyrim, bf3, grid racer, nfs

length of usage= 5-6 months planning to upgrade it again on dec or jan

dont wory tokae, ill also be upgrading it on dec just saving some funds for a core i5 ib and a gtx 560 ti, will that be a good combination to play med to high on those games that i mentioned above, thanx for the answers.

:) Not a problem!

I just didn't want you to be let down if you went out and purchased a newer card..

Hi there!

Sooo... I've finally decided (after getting a 23" IPS screen and realizing that even LoL is unplayable @1080 with IGP) to get a discrete GPU.

Looking at either HD6950 or 560Ti, leaning towards Sapphire HD6950 because it's the same price as 560Ti and supposedly can be unlocked to 6970 (which costs some $80 more over here).

Now... the questions that somewhat bother me... 1)Do I really need a HD6950 considering that don't play games all that much (TBH, only playing LoL atm) and 2) Won't the rest of my system bottleneck the GPU?

System is in my sig.
Cheers!

ETA:
Linux drivers aren't really an issue, as long as they exist. For LoL I dualboot anyway....

ETA2:
Card length also isn't an issue ~33cm from back to frot intake fan

Last edited:
I haven't used AMD processors in a long time, but seriously either of those GPU's on a 23" monitor is probably overkill :)

I imagine someone else will wander in and suggest something more appropriate, but I'd wait before plopping down the money for them yet.

Maybe not actually, I haven't upgraded mine in awhile I guess, but from what you have you do need something dedicated, I'm still using my old GTX 260's, one of those would probably do you fine but I imagine these days there is something similar in a range that runs DX11 that would suit you better, like a GTX460 or 480, something without dropping the money to get good results unless you were going to seriously upgrade the monitor even more.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

:beer:

*edit* best thing I could do here is maybe finally go SSD on the Primary HD I imagine, everything else in the WEI comes out 7.7 to 7.8 range even with the old 260's, the mechanical drives still killing me I guess drags the overall to 5.9 :p

Last edited:
I haven't used AMD processors in a long time, but seriously either of those GPU's on a 23" monitor is probably overkill :)

I imagine someone else will wander in and suggest something more appropriate, but I'd wait before plopping down the money for them yet.

Maybe not actually, I haven't upgraded mine in awhile I guess, but from what you have you do need something dedicated, I'm still using my old GTX 260's, one of those would probably do you fine but I imagine these days there is something similar in a range that runs DX11 that would suit you better, like a GTX460 or 480, something without dropping the money to get good results unless you were going to seriously upgrade the monitor even more.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

:beer:

*edit* best thing I could do here is maybe finally go SSD on the Primary HD I imagine, everything else in the WEI comes out 7.7 to 7.8 range even with the old 260's, the mechanical drives still killing me I guess drags the overall to 5.9 :p

Hi! Thanks for the reply!
I sort of know that HD6950 would be an overkill :) It's also some 20% more, than I would like to spend :D However, it's a royal PITA to find an older gen card with an older gen card price tag on it... That "old" GTX460 is only about 20% cheaper than HD6950 and actually more expensive than HD6870 (which AFAIK, beats it in terms of performance). GTX480 costs more than HD6950, some good $40 more...

I suppose I could stick with a HD6870, but the one I found at a good price is a vanilla AMD reference one, I don't think I like those blower fans as I'm used to reading that they are on the loud side (compared to non-reference)

As far as SSDs go... My Linux system, after tweaking GRUB a little and switching from DHCP to static routing (or tweaking DHCP router side), would put any Win7 SSD setup to shame, while booting from a 5400rpm drive :p
But I do know they are seriously good stuff... just won't help with LoL at 1080p :D

Thanks again! Waiting for more input. :beer:

Overkill?!? Whats overkill?!?

:p

Seriously though, the 560ti or the 6950 at stock settings should be more than plenty for what you are after.

Also: 6950s used to be unlockable, but I believe there was a revision that stopped all that. I might be incorrect though.

:p

Seriously though, the 560ti or the 6950 at stock settings should be more than plenty for what you are after.

Also: 6950s used to be unlockable, but I believe there was a revision that stopped all that. I might be incorrect though.

TY for the reply! As far as I know, the 6950 is on clearance sale, so it might be old stock or something.... Also, there is one owner comment for the card, which claims he has unlocked his... Could be lies, I suppose. :)

One option I also started considering is HD6770 + a Corsair H80... But I'd really like a more powerful GPU.

Tell me about it :rain: mine has the BIOS switch but no Unlock BIOS, both BOIS are the same locked 6950, so no 6970 for 6950 money. :cry:

Its still overclocks well though, and it is powerful. still the best card there is for its money IMHO :)

@ v1ks_, you will not regret the 6950 even if it is locked.

@Frakk, having both BIOSes is when the manufacturer did it for you :p. You might be able to find a copy of the 6970 BIOS for that card and flash the BIOS yourself. If you screw up or its just not stable, flip the switch, flash the original back.

@Frakk, having both BIOSes is when the manufacturer did it for you :p. You might be able to find a copy of the 6970 BIOS for that card and flash the BIOS yourself. If you screw up or its just not stable, flip the switch, flash the original back.

Tryed all that with TPU's tools... with the switch in both settings the computer just locks up.

Turns out that happens when both BIOS are read only :shrug:

Thanks for the advices and clarification on unlocking... I really did think it's more or less guaranteed.
While I do understand that I wont regret getting the Hd6950, I'm more concerned wether I will or wont regret not getting an 6950. Sure, with GPU like that, I'd most likely get some more demanding games and put it to use... But perhaps I could live with 6770 instead and get a h80 :)

This is in his Sig.

CPU: Phenom II x2 555BE C3 @ 4.3Ghz 20x21.5 1.45V 42C Max

To be honest, and with respect i doubt a 2 core Phenom would even poke a 6950 hard enough to wake up. :) (please no one take that to literally)

Back