• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why are you still going on about phase count? Do you have a large stockpile of liquid nitrogen in your garage? If not, then it honestly doesn't matter.
As was mentioned several times, your soundcard can not hold a candle to modern integrated high end solutions. The sound on the Extreme 4 will obliterate the sound on that sound card.
The only sound cards that are worth anything these days are $200 class soundcards. Everything else is bunk.

Just get the Extreme 4. Leave your PCI expansion cards in the past, where they belong.

BECAUSE OF THE FEEDBACK CLEARLY HEARD HERE. Do you have a z97 board with an acl 1150? If so do you hear ANY feedback on ANY onboard connector?

As for the phase count I was thinking aloud. I want to get the best bang for buck even if I won't be needing that much protection for OC'ing.

I just looked into it a bit more and saw that it may not work since an old bios would be required.

My only real concern is since the z97 Extreme 4 does not have a pci slot is do any of you that have a z97 board and use onboard sound hear ANY feedback on your rear jacks/front headphone jack? I have no problem getting a board with less features (really liking that 12 phase/power button on mobo/debug led :-/) that cost a bit less if I can't get my sound card on this board cause of feedback. Minimal to some but it really annoys me.

There is however the GA-G1 Sniper z97 for a bit more but the colors don't match with my led fans (won't really matter anyways cause of the noctua fans lol) and crappier phase count...

Someone who uses onboard audio for z97 boards give some insight on this please :confused:!
We told you what it was like... Both the phasing you don't need to worry about, and the audio... Listen. :)

I've had plenty of z97 boards I've used and reviewed... No feedback.

Last edited:
Why are you so worried about your PCI sound card?

I've already told you that modern onboard is better than it is anyway.
The audio sections of the Fatal1ty Killer and the Gaming 3 are isolated from the rest of the motherboard, that's why I recommended them.
It isn't on the Extreme4. It is on the Extreme6 though. It also is isolated on the G1.Sniper Z97.

Isolation cuts out any chance of feedback. Period.

The only thing I don't like about that board is the Qualcomm Killer NIC it has. I much prefer higher end Intel NICs myself, as do most people on the forum. Not saying Killer is bad. It's certainly better than a rock bottom end Realtek NIC but it's not as good as a good Intel NIC. All the traffic shaping and prioritization that the Killer does can be done on an Intel NIC with some software tweaks and it works just as well.

BECAUSE OF THE FEEDBACK CLEARLY HEARD HERE.

I wouldn't trust the testing methodology of a guy who thinks its ok to touch and rub IC's on a soundcard.
As was mentioned, you can't get feedback if there is proper PCB seperation. Its possible to have a BAD ALC1150 implementation, just like you can have a bad implementation of any other IC but if you get a good implementation you'll be fine, and you'll have better low end particularly than you will with a soundcard.

The only thing I don't like about that board is the Qualcomm Killer NIC it has. I much prefer higher end Intel NICs myself, as do most people on the forum. Not saying Killer is bad. It's certainly better than a rock bottom end Realtek NIC but it's not as good as a good Intel NIC. All the traffic shaping and prioritization that the Killer does can be done on an Intel NIC with some software tweaks and it works just as well.

I wouldn't trust the testing methodology of a guy who thinks its ok to touch and rub IC's on a soundcard.
As was mentioned, you can't get feedback if there is proper PCB seperation. Its possible to have a BAD ALC1150 implementation, just like you can have a bad implementation of any other IC but if you get a good implementation you'll be fine, and you'll have better low end particularly than you will with a soundcard.

I actually just purchased the Extreme 4 instead haha. Asked on newegg and someone said they don't hear any feedback either. Hopefully I don't either or it's going to irk the heck out of me. Thanks for the help guys. I'll post an update after I get it setup.

You got the one board we mentioned that doesn't have an isolated PCB section for audio? :-/
You shouldn'a done that. He's just a boy.

My guess is that it'll sound just fine but the G1 or the Fatal1ty (even though the Fatal1ty is ugly) would have been a safer bet.

You got the one board we mentioned that doesn't have an isolated PCB section for audio? :-/
You shouldn'a done that. He's just a boy.

My guess is that it'll sound just fine but the G1 or the Fatal1ty (even though the Fatal1ty is ugly) would have been a safer bet.

But the features, the price, matching color to the fans and all...

I use the onboard sound on my extreme 9 and its clear as a bell, your over thinking the sound stuff.
I have the extreme 9 and it's overkill for the 4790K,

I use the onboard sound on my extreme 9 and its clear as a bell, your over thinking the sound stuff.
I have the extreme 9 and it's overkill for the 4790K,

That is the extreme 9 as you said. I was talking about the extreme 4 which apparently isn't separated from the rest of the board.

So I ordered the extreme 4 and it was suppose to show up yesterday but didn't. Contacted shipper which is Ontrac in this case since I am within CA and the mobo is missing lol. I am kind of relieved this is the case since the extreme 4 doesn't have the split in the board to isolate the audio section and reduce feedback. It also is either no longer carried by newegg and or out of stock. Noticed it also has a pretty high failure rate. Looked into the z97 G1 sniper and apparently the build quality isn't as good as the extreme 6. Guess I am going to push my limit a bit and get the extreme 6 if the board doesn't come up.

For the $165.xx price range it appears that the extreme 6 can't be beat correct? It has esata, split pcb for audio, dual nic (have a question about those), power button on mobo, debug led and is blue :p. Only other one that is in the same price range and with similar features is the z97 gd65 gaming which also has a debug led and power button but lacks the dual nic/esata.

I started another thread about testing LAN speeds for a NAS and it reminded me of a Cisco feature called vlan trunking or similarly (I assume) known as teaming but on user end NIC's instead of Cisco switches. I see that one NIC is an intel and the other is a Realtek. Does anyone know if the realtek NIC is a normal gigabit NIC or is it some special feature for that Asrock cloud thing?

All you have to do is refuse delivery and call your credit card company to reverse the charges.

Didn't even think of that. Sweet. Well it was from newegg. If charges are reversed cause of a missing package that comes up sometime later I can't get charged a restocking fee I guess. Going to try that now. Thanks for the heads up!

Didn't even think of that. Sweet. Well it was from newegg. If charges are reversed cause of a missing package that comes up sometime later I can't get charged a restocking fee I guess. Going to try that now. Thanks for the heads up!

There is no restocking fee if you refuse delivery. If they just leave the package at your door you're up a creek but if you refuse to accept the package from the FedEx guy then you're good. Go reverse the charge on your credit card ASAP. Not sure if this works in the USA but it works in Canada.

Explained it to my bank since I ordered with my debit and they said I gotta wait until Monday. If refund is declined at that point again and I am told to wait then I have to contact Visa and fill out some form. That can take 30-60 days. I'll just wait until Monday and contact Newegg back. If not I'll be taking a drive down south next weekend ;) haha

NEVER, EVER use a debit card over the net or the phone!!!!!!
I took a hit that way and it was all gone... and will never be recovered.
go get a prepaid mc card from the corner gas station.

Back