• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a SATA DVD Burner? Look no further..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

majinwar

Well, I just received my Samsung SH-S203B 20x Sata burner and there was a thread earlier asking about which DVD burner to get.. Well.. 10 DVD+R's later.. Here is my review!

For every test I was using Verbatim 16x DVD+Rs and they were burned to full capacity using create disc using CD/DVD Speed.

Let's start off with the Firmware from Samsung.

Samsung Firmware

Benchmark
BenchWOC0de.jpg

12x Burn
Disc Created in 7:18
DiscQuality12xWO.jpg

16x Burn
Disc Created in 5:37
DiscQuality16xWO.jpg

20x Burn
Disc Created in 4:36
DiscQuality20xWO.jpg

Now for those of you who have no idea what you are looking at, I will explain it after the screen shots of the other firmware I used.

Secondly I tested CDFreaks c0deking's Firmware which speeds up reading speed and boosts the 12x Burn speed.

C0dekings Firmware

Benchmark
BenchWithC0de.jpg

12x Burn
Disc Created in 6:04
DiscQuality12x.jpg

16x Burn
Disc Created in 5:38
DiscQuality16x.jpg

20x Burn
Disc Created in 4:36
DiscQuality20x.jpg

You can see the differences in the Benchmark and 12x burn time with c0de's firmware.

Don't be thrown off by the Benchmarks CPU usage of 22% etc, the average cpu usage when actually burning info is way lower.

So, what does this mean? And what should you be looking for? The numbers you are most interested in are the PI Errors and PI Failures.

The Disc Quality test, tests the quality of the burn on the DVD and gives you the result with the PI Errors and PI Failures. I run the Disc Quality test at 8x because at this speed it will pick up most if not all of the errors, whereas if you run the test at a higher speed, it has a good chance of missing errors.

So it then brings up the question of what is the limit for PI Errors and Failures?

The specified max PI Sum is 280 for quality discs is a good guideline. A few readers have problems reading discs when the PI failures is over 300 and many players starts to have problems when the PI failures reaches 600 and most players have problems with discs exceeding 900 PI errors or more.

In all of the tests the maximum PI Error value I received was 61 which is way under the 280 standard. ( And that was burning a 16x DVD at 20x speeds!! )

Conclusion

No matter which firmware you decide to go, whether you want more consistent quality, or faster reading/writing speeds, the Samsung 203B is an all around amazing SATA DVD Burner.

One last thing to remember, buying a spindle of crappy quality DVDs will result in crappy quality burns! :beer:

Good quality score you got there, but try to beat this ... ;)

MCC03 June 2003 Animatrix.PNG
Burned in 2003 with the legendary Benq drive.

You will get better result with Verbatim MCC04 or even better if you can find the old one MCC03, that CMC's quality is known to be not consistent from batch to batch.

Hopefully you'll get 99 quality score or Class 1 at ADQ. ;)

Edit:
I think it was on 4X, not sure cause its been for about 4 years ago !

Last edited:
I have the 203B. How can I incorporate that firmware you added. I have no idea how to flash firmware.

First goto samsungs website.. I'll make it easy for you, just go here.

Next download c0dekings firmware here.

1. Unzip the firmware.
2. Run the SH-S203B_SB01.exe file you received from the samsung website.
3. Select the 203B drive with the drop down menu.
4. Top left corner is a file folder, click it and search for wherever you put the new firmware. (Use the S203B.SB01.patched-fb-fr.bin file!)
5. Press the 2nd button with the green chip on it.
6. Wait!
7. It will prompt you to restart your computer, once you press ok it will automatically reboot.
8. All done!

*NOTE* This is for Samsung SH-S203B models only!

You will get better result with Verbatim MCC04 or even better if you can find the old one MCC03, that CMC's quality is known to be not consistent from batch to batch.

Hopefully you'll get 99 quality score or Class 1 at ADQ. ;)

Edit:
I think it was on 4X, not sure cause its been for about 4 years ago !

The minimum they burn at now for quality testing is 12x, Although I am very tempted to burn at 4x just to compare mine to your BenQ...

kimochii72, just a reminder when flashing with unofficial firmware, there is a risk of turning your drive into a brick if you don't do properly and also it will void the warranty.

But again, personally I just love modded firmware ! :D LOL

kimochii72, just a reminder when flashing with unofficial firmware, there is a risk of turning your drive into a brick if you don't do properly and also it will void the warranty.

But again, personally I just love modded firmware ! :D LOL

QFT! :beer:

Back