• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for advice on a new wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I am still using a WRT54GL with tomato, it is still a solid router. I had to move it to the basement and well I just don't get the range I need. I tried bumping the Tx power but now it runs warm and it still doesn't have the range I am looking for, get constant drop outs when on the second floor of the house. I was going to add another WRT54(something) to act as a AP/Range Extender but as someone pointed out to me why would I spend $40 on 13 year old tech when I can spend a bit more and have something faster.

Cost: I would like it to be under $100
Connectivity: I would like a wireless router with two USB ports (for printer and NAS) 2.0 or 3.0 does not really matter to me. I am not really picky about N/AC (heck I can almost max my internet out with G right now).
Range: As is said router is in the basement, signal would have to travel through two floors (~30'). All streaming the bed room is done through hardwire cat5, so at this distance I would be happy if the speed is as good a G without any dropouts.

I was considering an TP-Link Archer C5, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
If you're going to hook up a NAS via USB you will want 3.0 ports. Standard HDD will easily max out the speed of USB 2.0 and be a bottleneck. That said, I would hook up the NAS using ethernet which would solve that probolem....

Even if your internet is not fast you may want AC so that your network itself is faster. Any transfers between wireless devices on your network will be much faster even if your internet is slow.

I've never used that particular router, but in general they all seem to have trouble going through 2 floors. The 5 ghz frequency has even less ability to penetrate walls too so you won't be gaining anything there...

I agree with the NAS, however, for the time being I am using one of THESE which doesn't support cat5 or usb 3.0 although 3.0 would be nice to keep it future proof.

As you can probably figure I have a lot of concerns with any wireless router being able to reach through two floors with any kind of reliability. I have the ability to put the wireless router and if need be the modem on the middle floor of the home. I have cat5 running from the middle floor to the basement. I also have cat 5 running from the basement to the second floor master bed room.

Option 1) Move wireless router from basement to the first floor. I would have to purchase a router for the first floor. The router would have to be a minimum of 5 ports and while I am at it I should get a gigabit. The wireless router would then be an AP. The problem with this is I don't any wired gigabit routers at my price point with 5+ LAN ports let alone USB support.

Option 2) Move wireless router and modem from basement to first floor and purchase an unmanaged switch for the basement, looks like I can pickup an 8 port for <$30. With this I loose the usb and get no real performance gain out of the network.

Option 3) Purchase an ac wireless router for the basement and if range issue still persists put the wrt54gl in the master bed room as an AP.

Personally I am considering option 3 but I am total out of my wheel house when it comes to networking.

My recommendation does not hit your price point but I will share it anyway. I live in a ranch house with the router in the basement at one end of the house.

First, you could try this: get a cheap router and wire it in another part of the house, remove dhcp and use it as an access point.

Second: buy a cheap wireless repeater.

Third (My router): Get the Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320193. There is nothing in the 'verse that can stop the signal Mal.

Got my new router setup last night. Over all I am pleased. I went from -75 dbm and constant dropouts in the master bedroom to a rock solid -50 dbm. I even get -70 dbm on 5gHz through 2 floors.

My only complaint is comcast... my down stream last night was 6mbs network must have been saturated.

Back