• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for advice on usb hubs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers

Looking to cleanup my desk area and could really use a decent USB hub so I can keep things a bit cleaner looking. Prefer all 3.0 ports with no additional power supply. 4-5 would easily suffice and i was wondering if those hubs with the power switches to each port are gimmicky or worthwhile. Would prefer all black with either the typical blue usb ports or white if possible. Depending on the size/orientation of it I will probably mount it along side the desk or even underneath it with velcro to keep wires separated from everything else depending.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

It's up to you if those hubs with the switches are gimmicks or not. If you have a reason to switch off a device instead of just unplugging it, then it might be worth it. Otherwise a basic hub can probably be cheaper.

As for actual hubs I don't have any direct experience. I did find a cheaper bus powered hub from Startech, and I've had OK experience with them for cheap peripherals.

There's also an oddly shaped Silverstone hub. Don't know if I can be powered by the data cable, but it comes with a USB to barrel power jack if needed.

Well it'd probably work out well for cases where I plug in a multitude of controllers and dont want to confuse the hell out of the computer which one to use. So I may look into finding one of those. It would really be nice to keep everything plugged in so i can route the cables and not worry about it after.

/edit

power switch ones that is

Last edited:
Yeah in that case I can see how having the switches will help. I have even less experience with the switchable hubs, so sorry I can't be any more help. :D

No worries, input is always appreciated. I do like those hubs and in general I might pick the silverstone one if i can think of a good place to stick it. Nice that it has a built in magnet which is leaps and bounds easier than velcro.

Back