• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for monitor advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

I play fps games mostly and sometimes other stuff. I want the best monitor for fast paced gaming. Going for 1440p or 1080p @144hz, 24" or bigger, fast response, good colors, not matted.

I have $500 for this ultimate monitor plus or minus if need be for the right one. But NOT $799 for the ROG Swift.

So can someone who plays fps a lot and has experience with a decent monitor help me out here?
I have been looking forever and my head hurts and I just cant find anything that has it all. (except ROG Swift)

If you have experience with a monitor that doesn't quite have it all but is still really nice please explain.

Monitors are not my thing... but this isn't the first or 20th time this question was asked. Take a look around the section while someone with more experience can answer. :)

It seems like the ROG Swift is my only choice and I want someone to tell me it's not!:p:chair:

I am not opposed to buying asian branded things as long as they are good quality. That monitor looks good. When they refer to overclocking a monitor does that depend on your video card capabilities or the monitor itself?

Alright, this should keep me busy researching for a little while :)
I'll assume no overclock is guaranteed (even with a fan on it?).

If I was going to spend $300+ on a monitor I'd be buying a 1440p screen personally.

If you don't mind posting where you saw a 240Hz LCD?....

TV sets that advert 240Hz are not really 240Hz, in fact they are merely 60Hz using software to fill in gaps between frames which does not look very good IMO.

Thank you Janus, I completely missed that :S So after some review, that is NOT a 240Hz panel.... I gathered as much considering I figured I would have heard of one by now, but TFTCentral confirmed my suspicion. It is a 120Hz panel that uses "Turbo 240Hz" to replace current displayed frames with duplicate frames or black frames.... Similar to the marketing concept that television companies have been doing for several years now. So no, no 240Hz out yet.

If you haven't figured it out from the above, if you own the panel you cannot choose 240Hz, you can only choose 120Hz as the highest, then you have to enable "Turbo 240Hz" in the OSD, AKA monitor software...

"Eizo can drive the LCD panel at 240 Hz by either showing each frame twice or by inserting black frames between the pictures"

While I think that would be a good monitor, you are really paying for VA and then the Turbo marketing. You could save $200+ by going ASUS or BenQ. That said, from the reviews, that Eizo is a GOOD panel, better quality of course over TN panels, you get 120Hz that works damn near perfect in the motion tests (240Hz actually shows bluring in comparison). Good panel all around, just don't fall into the 240Hz marketing.

The 240hz sounded too good to be true?
Thanks for the researching, now that monitor def has almost nothing I want.

From what I saw though, it's 120Hz in the motion tests is pretty much king of the hill as far as monitors go as opposed to the ASUS and BenQ panels. It's only when that 240Hz crap is enabled that it slouches.

It's just, for that price... That's too much IMO. But it's a step in the right direction (Really would love to see a larger offering of PLS and VA panels with 120Hz standard at a $500 price point.). I just think that for the $300 premium over the current 144Hz offerings, it's simply too much. It is a cool screen though, just wish it were in the $400-$500 segment, and hell, if it were I'd probably buy one myself just for testing alone.

I think I might live with 1080p @ 144 24" to 27"
I will check around again and get a 1440p @144 when I have more options.
Already have a 4k tv for watching high res stuff, so when I remove 1440p as a requirement I have a ton more options. Not to mention I can use that moolah on sompin else!

**Edit**

I just ordered an ASUS VG248QE. That will do me just fine until the options of 2k 144hz 1ms open up more and price comes down.

Saved half the monitor budget too! :D

Last edited:
That looks like a sweet monitor but the one I ordered will be here tomorrow. I will get a new one again whenever I get a new video card.

Back