• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for some help building an o/clockable pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txheart

Registered
newbee at this o/c and extremly nervous. started from scratch. antec tower, 380watt power supply w/dual fans. 4 cooling fans plus 1 more in hard drive cage, 4 exhaust fans, MSI 875P neo fis2r mobo, audigy MP3+ s/c so far. looking at radeon 9600 pro v/c, 1Gb corsair twinx1024-3200LL for memory, 120 Gb seagate baracuda serial ata150 hard drive for now. intel 800 Mhz fsb cpu unsure which one between 2.4 -2.8 mhz. any suggestions or constructive info greatly appreciated.

I would scratch that powersupply and get a Fortron with the 120mm fans - a LOT quieter. I would have more fans blowing in than blowing out for positive case pressure.

I personally wouldn't go with an Audigy, but thats only MY opinion. I'm not familiar with that mobo, so someone else could prob comment on that. The rest look fine. I love my Seagate drives. They're virtually silent, but if you really want the speed increase, I hear you can download a utility for most newer models that increases speed, but also noise.

Personally.. I would scratch that 9600 pro and go with either the 9500 or 9700 pro instead..

And the 2.4 (if you get the right stepping) will most likely overclock better than the 2.8

Usually I have to tell the newbies to get more fans for case ventilation. But with you, I might have to say you're on the verge of getting carried away unless you are planning on really extreme overclocking. The more fans you have, the noisier the system. Your power supply is adequate under normal circumstances, but with all those fans and drives, you might consider stepping up to a higher watt Antec True Power PS. What you have planned looks great. I'm glad to see a person that has obviously put a lot of thought into their component selection and done some research. I might have to disagree with Sirtoby about the 2.4C overclocking better than the 2..8C. If he means more bang for the buck, then yes... but on "average" the 2.8C will get a "slightly" higher CPU clock speed. Yoiur mileage may vary of course. However, the lower multiplier CPUs like the 2.4C will give you a higher FSB which will boost performance. So, the 2.4C or 2.6C are cheaper, will overclock very nicely, and will give you high FSB. What more do you want?

Back