• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some watercooling advice for 1 6990

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow! You for sure don't need the pumping power, it will make not one iota diff on temps.

We always recommend the same pump for pumpage long term life, think about a very weak pump feeding a strong pump, cavitation like the 35,000 HP for 'nucklar' plants pumps etc. In WC, as long as they are close, it's fine. We are a bitttt less than those pumps......

We overthink sometimes.

Long term, second rig. If you like watercooling buy two. Otherwise, it isn't needed. Your flowrates 1 pump VS two isn't gonna make 1c of difference for GPU's. And that's with the temp measuring tolerance.

Yes, you parellel the PWM signal to the second pump, any more and the mobo circuitry might rebel (lot's of EE math about that, wayyy beyond me)..

Lastly, GPU's aren't particular with temps. Not like CPU's.

One pumpage please for normal usage.

Wow! You for sure don't need the pumping power, it will make not one iota diff on temps.

We always recommend the same pump for pumpage long term life, think about a very weak pump feeding a strong pump, cavitation like the 35,000 HP for 'nucklar' plants pumps etc. In WC, as long as they are close, it's fine. We are a bitttt less than those pumps......

We overthink sometimes.

Long term, second rig. If you like watercooling buy two. Otherwise, it isn't needed. Your flowrates 1 pump VS two isn't gonna make 1c of difference for GPU's. And that's with the temp measuring tolerance.

Yes, you parellel the PWM signal to the second pump, any more and the mobo circuitry might rebel (lot's of EE math about that, wayyy beyond me)..

Lastly, GPU's aren't particular with temps. Not like CPU's.

One pumpage please for normal usage.

Thanks for the smack to reality:)

Couple questions as I start to dry assemble my build. gear has changed from original plan to whats below:

Swiftech MCR220 Rev 2 (all in one mcp35x pump ,rad,res) 2 x AP-15 fans
Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power rad/res unit w 2 x Cougar 120 Fans
Apogee HD cpu block
Lamptron Fan Controller FC5V2
3/8" Primochill Tubing
Swiftech 2 x 45 degree 3/8" x 5/8" swivel Lok-Seal adapters
Swiftech 2 x 90 degree 3/8" x 5/8" swivel Lok-Seal elbow adapters
Swiftech 4 x 3/8" x 5/8" Compression fittings
2 x 140mm Cougar Turbine Hyper Spin bearing F & R intake/exhaust 1000rpm
2 x Antec TrueQuiet Pro 120mm Side Panel 600-1200rpm
Coolermaster 690 Advanced II
XFX 850w Black Edition Single Rail PSU
Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3
HD 6990
i7 2700k
180 GB RevoDrive
2 x Vertex 2 120 SSD or 1 x 180 GB Vertex 2 will decide
2TB WD Green
Card Reader w USB3
LG BD Writer 6x

I have decided to go with Primochill primoflex 3/8" ID and Swiftech fittings. Plan to use the 45 degree fittings on bottom mounted rad, the 90's to the upper mounted rad.

The question, my Apogee HD cpu block has 1/2" barbs installed already , is it possible to get 3/8" hose on a 1/2" barb or is it a bad idea even if clamped? Does one want to stay away from mixing 1/2" tubing with 3/8" in a loop allowing me to use the cpu block barbs & 2 DD 1/2" barbs I bought for the gpu?

Is it better to replace the barbs on the cpu & gpu block w the same Swiftech 45/90 3/8" x5/8" Lok-Seal adapters & Compression fittings keeping everything is 3/8". A little pricey but I guess no other option other than barbing , and I find I prefer compression fittings even though more costly

Planning to run all 8 fans off the Lamptron unit which I see as being a none issue. What i am wondering if whether my psu is enough, it seems to be right there....willing to drop 2 side case fans if it matters.....

Last edited:
its possible to get 3/8ths tube over a half inch barb. You just have to dip the tube in boiling water then force it on. Some people (read: not me, not in a million years) even run without clamps after getting the 3/8th tube over half inch barbs. You are going to want the tubing cut to length before you put it on, because once you force it over the barbs, its not coming off without being cut off.

Edit: i should add, i wouldnt do it, personally, id just buy the extra fittings. I like 7/16ths masterkleer on half inch barbs, for a nice tight seal, but it doesnt require anything like soap or boiling water to put on like the 3/8ths stuff does.

List looks right. Getting 3/8 over 1/2 can be done, I never did, I heard it's a pain extrordinaire.

Folks did it for bling and no clamps. Looks very clean. And this wasn't new folks doing it, many were sponsored builders. Actually, kinda before compressions really took off and became popular.

I'd just buy more fittings.......

List looks right. Getting 3/8 over 1/2 can be done, I never did, I heard it's a pain extrordinaire.

Folks did it for bling and no clamps. Looks very clean. And this wasn't new folks doing it, many were sponsored builders. Actually, kinda before compressions really took off and became popular.

I'd just buy more fittings.......

Yeah I decided to buy additional fittings and I needed to buy the MCB-120 Radbox to mount the MCR220 rad/pump/res since it requires cutting of my 690 Advanced II

Ohh, the new style radbox is pretty weak, plastic. Only one I would even suggest is the Koolance one. Still, lots of exposed and 'bendable' stuff. Think about the fan guards, cheap wire ones.

One I remember is using all-thread from a hobby store with the thread pattern to match your rad. Some matching bolts, drill holes in the case for the all-thread. It's very solid, but real real care not to go too far and destroy the rad with overscrewing threads into the rad tubes. I seen it happen at least 10 times over the years.

Wish I had a link to that awesome build, was great for a first timer.

You prolly saw this, one of our stickies:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631501

My exposed rads have fans on one side, cheap guards on the other side.

thanks I had glanced over that thread as well, I have some prep work to do. I am strongly considering another case as much as I love the 690 Advanced I really like the new Azza 9000 for the room it offers and features. I want this build to get me through 2 years without much being swapped out, we will see. Yeah the rad box unit is a rev 2 by Swiftech, I will take a look at the Koolance one as well , I can always cancel order and get that one

Last edited:
So after reading and humming and hawing I ordered up a Switch 810 case, get it next week and then I can start the dry assemble

I have started this build, required some modding to the case to fit the MCR220 QP rad which has built in res as well as the MCR220 rad/res/MCP355 pump combo due to different dimensions. Crappy weather here now have some time to finish build. Just need some pieces to fit block to my HD6990 and will post some pics

Too bad you got the stuff already. You could've save yourself the hassle and just do a 360 + 240 rad.

One thing i learned from WC, if you can - over rad. More raddage = more surface area = more quiet rig.

810 Gunmetal .jpg

Silver Water.jpg

Finally finished the build, time to clock now after OCCT and Prime stable for 36hrs tested. no lights or crap dye in the lines, with the real silver water I use no worry of any growth ever:)

810 Special Edition Gunmetal
Asus Sabertooth
Core I7 2700 w Apogee HD Block
XFX 850w Black Edition
OCZ RevoDrive 180GB OS Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB - Games
2 x 640 WD 640 Blacks
1 X WD 2TB hot Swap Bay
Sapphire HD6990 w Razor Block
Swiftech MCR-220 Drive using MCP35X Pump
Swiftech MCR220 QP Rad/res w 2 x 120 Cougar Vortex
Swiftech Compression /couple Barb fittings w Primochill 3/8 & Silver Water 30ppm
4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 soon to be 2x8
Lamptron FC5V2 - 2 x AP-15's & 2 Cougar & Vortex 2x 140mm
LG 6x Blue Ray

Back